Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wallet stolen, emptied and returned

• 02-04-2012 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭

I was in a store in Blanchardstown and between paying at the counter and getting back to the car my wallet had been stripped of cash, bank card and credit card.

I had my wallet in the side pocket of my jacket for a short period of time, literally into my side pocket at the top of an escalator, then out of that pocket and into my inside pocket at the bottom, so I think it was taken on the escalator ride down, which would have been the perfect time to take it and replace it minus cash and cards.

I know who was standing behind me on the escalator though; the guy who served me left the till after he had served me and walked behind myself and my girlfriend, then stood on the escalator right behind me.

On the escalator another member of staff was coming up, and the guy behind me said "ah, did you already get that thing?" to the guy coming up, and the guy coming up responded with "yeah, yeah I got it already". I think this was probably when it happened, and makes me think they were both in on it.

Of course, I have no proof and I doubt there are cameras watching that part of the store.

I haven't talked to anyone in the store yet (should I bother since it's just a hunch?). I'll mention it to the guards anyway in case they have more reports of something similar.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Go back to the store and ask for CCTV footage around where they stock Cornflakes, Wheetabix etc where the robber could have taken your wallet. More than likely the culprit is a serial offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Go back to the store, wait til closing, and follow the guy home. Then shít in his toaster, turn it on, and then leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

seems strange alright,but why would someone rob a wallet,empty it and then risk getting caught by returning it to the original pocket?
    check the cctv, you never know,you mite have dropped it.

if that doesnt help then i'd go with the "toaster plan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Are you sure it wasnt the wife?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

They robbed you and insulted your crappy wallet.
    Must be some crap wallet if they returned it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

They'll have CCTV on the magic moving stairs for people tripping and falling and claiming compo etc. Don't assume anything in future.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Maybe it was a magician. Nothing better than a decent card trick.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

So a crack team of pickpockets infiltrated a store in Blanchardstown, picked your pocket. Removed your cards and cash. Took the time to pop it back in so you wouldn't notice. While on a moving escalator.

I would like to see this cctv. Could be turned into a major motion picture. I'm thinking George Clooney and the rest of the lads could make Oceans eleventy billion out of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why would someone pick your pocket on an escalator? If they get caught where can they go. It only goes one direction. Its not like they can exactly run away from you with any degree of success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Out of curiosity, were they the stereotypical Roma Gypsies pickpockets or homegrown Irish pickpockets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

My pocket was easy to get to, and I was just standing there on the escalator. It would have been a trivial task to take it and return it, no skill required.

I would have noticed it gone when I transferred it to the inside pocket, so putting it back was smart on their part.

The nationality of the people I suspect doesn't matter, but it wasn't gypsies; they were store employees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

sf80 wrote: »
    My pocket was easy to get to, and I was just standing there on the escalator. It would have been a trivial task to take it and return it, no skill required.

I would have noticed it gone when I transferred it to the inside pocket, so putting it back was smart on their part.

The nationality of the people I suspect doesn't matter, but it wasn't gypsies; they were store employees

Wouldn't you be better served by heading to the shop with a Garda and request to view the CCTV than posting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

The toaster dump doesn't discriminate by nationality. ;)

Now, I'm no expert pickpocket, but was this the longest escalator in the world or something? I'm assuming it would take longer than that to remove all credit cards!

Wouldn't you be better served by heading to the shop with a Garda and request to view the CCTV than posting here.

It's a discussion forum isn't it? You could apply your response to most threads started here.

My logic is that maybe someone has experienced something similar, this is a good place to share and find out. It's just a theory I have that's all circumstantial and I will have a chat with the guards. I didn't lose much, so my main reason for following up on it would be to just add to the information in case it's a regular scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

So let me get this straight. As well as being master pickpockets they could also see the future? This is all a very unlikely scenario OP.
    Have you been at the mushrooms or something:D

It's a discussion forum isn't it? You could apply your response to most threads started here.

My logic is that maybe someone has experienced something similar, this is a good place to share and find out. It's just a theory I have that's all circumstantial and I will have a chat with the guards. I didn't lose much, so my main reason for following up on it would be to just add to the information in case it's a regular scam.

Fair enough but by going to the guards now with your theory you may help prevent it happening to someone else today.
    Someone else may have gone to the guards with a similar theory.

Now, I'm no expert pickpocket, but was this the longest escalator in the world or something? I'm assuming it would take longer than that to remove all credit cards!

It was a long one, and I don't keep much in my wallet; it wouldn't take long. Plus the guy would have seen exactly where I put it

I don't think it would take much longer than 5 seconds to take the cards and money out.

Most likely just opportunistic thieves, I can't imagine a pickpocket lifting wallets where they work.

Or maybe the wallet was lifted and replaced elsewhere by someone else.

Seachmall wrote: »
    Most likely just opportunistic thieves, I can't imagine a pickpocket lifting wallets where they work.

Or risking being caught by putting the empty wallet back in someones pocket.
    Makes no sense

• Advertisement

Or risking being caught by putting the empty wallet back in someones pocket.
    Makes no sense

Putting it back meant I didn't notice it for longer. I noticed in the car outside, but if I hadn't been looking for something so soon I wouldn't have noticed for hours.

I wouldn't be so suspicious if I'd lost the wallet completely, or if I'd just lost the bank card which I'd just used, but the credit card was definitely secure in the wallet as was the cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

The escalators at Blanch Shopping Centre (I assume this is where Op means and not somewhere in the town) are very long and extraordinarily slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

This is bloody shocking :O

Out in blanch nearly every week to do my shop and taught it was a safe shopping centre, you'd expect to hear a story like this in the city centre, but not in a shopping centre.

Sounds very dodge and most likely was the sh*t that served you.
    Id most certainly go back to the shopping centre and speak to security and demand them to go through all the cameras, their bound to get some kind of info for you. You would be amazed at the amount of cameras they have all around that shopping centre.
    I would also report it to the guards.

If it's not reported god only knows how many other people they will target.
    Hopefully the little F**ker will be caught before he does the same to someone else.

Be sure to cancel all your cards..

Keep us updated on the outcome...

Putting it back meant I didn't notice it for longer. I noticed in the car outside, but if I hadn't been looking for something so soon I wouldn't have noticed for hours.

I wouldn't be so suspicious if I'd lost the wallet completely, or if I'd just lost the bank card which I'd just used, but the credit card was definitely secure in the wallet as was the cash.

Presumably you've since cancelled the credit card?

The money you're unlikely to get back, hopefully it wasn't a lot but it is a lesson learned.

If you're rushing and put your wallet in your jacket pocket keep your hand on it until you can organise yourself.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Did you pay with card in the store?
    Did the store employee see you putting in your pin number into the card machine?
    Have you checked your bank account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its more of a moving pathway with a slight incline than an escalator, theres no steps. Takes about 60 seconds to get from top to bottom.

Presumably you've since cancelled the credit card?

The money you're unlikely to get back, hopefully it wasn't a lot but it is a lesson learned.

If you're rushing and put your wallet in your jacket pocket keep your hand on it until you can organise yourself.

That's it exactly, wallet insecure while I sorted that bags and made my way out. I'm usually very paranoid about things like this.

I cancelled the cards outside the shop, so within 5 mins, nothing taken from them.

antodeco wrote: »
    Did you pay with card in the store?
    Did the store employee see you putting in your pin number into the card machine?
    Have you checked your bank account?

Nothing taken from the account; it's possible he saw the pin since there is not surround on the card machine and it's fixed in place at a nice angle between you and the server where you could both see.

So let me get this straight. As well as being master pickpockets they could also see the future?

Most people don't keep their wallet in their jacket pocket, when they do it's typically a temporary thing as they just made a purchase and now have loose change, receipts and whatnot in their hand. They put all of that into their pocket and then move out of the way of the crowd to organise themselves (move the change to their front pocket, put the card back in their wallet, put the wallet back into their pocket, etc.). Putting the wallet back is the most logical thing, people have even been known to replace wallets in pockets with folded paper so when the person taps their pocket to see if the wallet is still there everything feels A-OK.

And any scumbag could take a wallet from an outer pocket, no skills required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

Ochams Razor

Theory 1:
    You had no cash so you payed using your card, you left said card in the store by accident, thus leaving an empty wallet.

(theory assumes you have only one card:D)

Theory 2:

When you switched the wallet between pockets, you extracted it upside down and all cotents fell to the floor.

(theory assumes you are right handed:confused:)

Final comment:

the interaction between the 2 guys cant be relevant unless there was an un-mentioned time lapse, it reads to me like they had a genunine interaction over something they were already engaged in. How could the guy coming up the other side of the escalator have had any influence on you? How could he have gotten into position if it was some kind of distraction technique? Had the interaction been reveresed then maybe it would hint at some collusion but the fact is the guy on the other side claims to have "got it" when in reality it should have been the guy behind you who "got it".

minotour wrote: »
    Ochams Razor

Theory 1:
    You had no cash so you payed using your card, you left said card in the store by accident, thus leaving an empty wallet.

(theory assumes you have only one card:D)

Theory 2:

When you switched the wallet between pockets, you extracted it upside down and all cotents fell to the floor.

(theory assumes you are right handed:confused:)

Final comment:

the interaction between the 2 guys cant be relevant unless there was an un-mentioned time lapse, it reads to me like they had a genunine interaction over something they were already engaged in. How could the guy coming up the other side of the escalator have had any influence on you? How could he have gotten into position if it was some kind of distraction technique? Had the interaction been reveresed then maybe it would hint at some collusion but the fact is the guy on the other side claims to have "got it" when in reality it should have been the guy behind you who "got it".

One suspects this is an attempt at a defence. Where do you work?

:pac:

And any scumbag could take a wallet from an outer pocket, no skills required.

True. But taking it is one thing, taking it, stripping it and putting it back, on an escalator in a shopping centre is quite a different matter. It's an overly convoluted crime i think. A much more likely scenario is he spent the money and lost the cards, or put them somewhere and then forgot about it. The simpler explanation is usually the correct one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭knowit12

True. But taking it is one thing, taking it, stripping it and putting it back, on an escalator in a shopping centre is quite a different matter. It's an overly convoluted crime i think. A much more likely scenario is he spent the money and lost the cards, or put them somewhere and then forgot about it. The simpler explanation is usually the correct one!

Don't be ridiculous - think the guy would know if he misplaced his cards somewhere else, and as he stated he had just used one of the cards to pay in the shop.

thieves/robbers are experts at that kind of stuff - thats generally why the rob.

A friend of mine house got robbed last year - in the space of 5 mins they managed to clear out almost EVERYTHING in her living room.

I do belive that removing someones wallet from their pocket taken cards/money and then returning the wallet can be done in a matter of seconds.

- Bank card, credit card and cash were in the wallet when I paid
    - The only time the wallet was easily accessible was on the escalator. Before that it was in my hand, after that it was in an inside pocket
    - The shop wasn't packed, I wasn't close to anyone at all, especially long enough to take things and put it back, except on the escalator
    - The person behind me on the escalator would have seen exactly where I put the wallet, they were behind me from the till to the escalator
    - I put the wallet in an inside pocket right after the escalator
    - The only things missing from the wallet were cash, credit card and bank card; there were a few other cards in there that were all still there
    - The cash would not have fallen out of a closed wallet

To me the idea that just the cash and cards managed to fall out doesn't seem to be the simplest explanation. Of course it is possible, and I wouldn't go **** in the guy's toaster while that possibility, slim as I see it to be, exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

To me the idea that just the cash and cards managed to fall out doesn't seem to be the simplest explanation. Of course it is possible, and I wouldn't go **** in the guy's toaster while that possibility, slim as I see it to be, exists.

Well there we have it then.

• Advertisement

Well there we have it then.

Well there we don't; I'm just willing to accept that it's a possibility, but I see it as less of a possibility. Just like god, I'm not going to say it doesn't exist, that doesn't mean I believe it or it's even very likely.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Awful vitcim blaming going on here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Go back to the store, wait til closing, and follow the guy home. Then shít in his toaster, turn it on, and then leave.

Blanchardstown hot pocket?

Nice

Awful vitcim blaming going on here.

In most cases of pick-pocketing the victim does have some culpability. It's an opportunistic* crime that relies on the victim ineffectively securing their possessions.

In this instance it was, in my opinion, an understandable slip-up on the OP's part (when compared to someone who might constantly carry their wallet in their outer jacket pocket, or back pocket for that matter). I do it all the time when rushing out of a shop, just dump my wallet and everything in the easiest pocket to organise everything later once I'm out of the way.

It was an unfortunate time to run into a pick-pocket, just when you have temporarily shifted everything to the easiest pocket to steal from, and there is some responsibility for making that mistake (albeit not much as it's not a common crime and it was just a short-term solution).

I don't think anyone is blaming the OP for the crime, obviously he's not to blame, but hopefully he'll take it as a lesson learned and hopefully he didn't lose much.

*I wouldn't actually classify pickpocketing as an opportunistic crime, but in this instance it clearly was.

knowit12 wrote: »
    Don't be ridiculous - think the guy would know if he misplaced his cards somewhere else, and as he stated he had just used one of the cards to pay in the shop.

thieves/robbers are experts at that kind of stuff - thats generally why the rob.

A friend of mine house got robbed last year - in the space of 5 mins they managed to clear out almost EVERYTHING in her living room.

I do belive that removing someones wallet from their pocket taken cards/money and then returning the wallet can be done in a matter of seconds.

But surely the whole thing about loosing something is that you don't know where you put it?
    Either way OP it's shítty luck, you're missing your stuff, but i just think it's more likely that you lost it rather than fell victim to some light fingered villain. At least it wasn't much money!!

• Advertisement

But surely the whole thing about loosing something is that you don't know where you put it?
    Either way OP it's shítty luck, you're missing your stuff, but i just think it's more likely that you lost it rather than fell victim to some light fingered villain. At least it wasn't much money!!

300 euro spent online with tesco on the laser card; bank says they're seeing it happening a lot lately, no pin required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

300 euro spent online with tesco on the laser card; bank says they're seeing it happening a lot lately, no pin required.

if its spent online then theres probably a transaction number, get that if possible and provide it to the gardai. they can in turn get the delivery address from tesco and knock on someones door.

Watch out for those accordion wielding skunks you see around Blanchardstown, they'll take your wallet and chew the leather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Out of curiosity, were they the stereotypical Roma Gypsies pickpockets or homegrown Irish pickpockets?

Yeah, or were they the gay black muslim amputee ones? Hate those fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Go back to the store, wait til closing, and follow the guy home. Then shít in his toaster, turn it on,kick him senseless and then leave.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ProfessorWeeto

Depends on what escalator we are talking about. Blanch shopping centre has the standard ones, but also the big long escalator thats also used for trolles (the one by HMV on Level 2) You could easily just stand on it going down for 20-30 seconds. Especially when busy. Was this the one you were going down, OP?

But it is odd the way the pick-pocket put it back. But then again if something was so easy and quick to lift out, why not put it back in if thats quick and easy too, you'd be well down the road before the person realises the contents are gone. As the wallet remains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

That's unfortunate.

What was the name of the shop and what did the two f****** look like ??
    The cashier following you straight out and having that very suspicious exchange of words with the other bloke can't be coincidence. Seriously I'd love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Its more of a moving pathway with a slight incline than an escalator, theres no steps. Takes about 60 seconds to get from top to bottom.

Ah one of the types that you're meant to walk on, not stand around like a spare tit on. No one in this country seems to grasp this...

Its the ones in the Airport that take the biscuit though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Go back to the store, wait til closing, and follow the guy home. Then shít in his toasterthen get kicked senseless, turn it on, and then leave in an ambulance.
    or this. Did you even mention this to the center security? Can't see the Guards being too keen to unleash CSI Dublin West tbh but Paul Blart might get a buzz out of cracking the case..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why would someone pick your pocket on an escalator? If they get caught where can they go.

Up or down, depending on the direction the elevator is travelling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement