Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPRAY FLOCKING KITS

Options
  • 02-04-2012 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

HI,
    would anyone know where i could purchase a cheap spray flocking kit or pump? I would like to line the inside of a drawer with suede.
    Any help is very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Also.. does anyone know were i could get suede or nylon flock to line the inside of a drawer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The device used is just two cardboard tubes which fit inside each other and a plate on the end with holes in it. If you could find two suitably sized tubes it shouldn't be too difficult to bodge something together.

Alternatively you could look at using felt or baize. It can be a bit tricky making the end result look neat if you try and apply the baize to the inside of the box directly though, so something my father did when making boxes like this was to make 5 separate panels out of thin plywood to line the 4 sides and base of the box, cover those with baize making nice neat edges and corners, and then glue those panels into the box, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Alun wrote: »
    The device used is just two cardboard tubes which fit inside each other and a plate on the end with holes in it. If you could find two suitably sized tubes it shouldn't be too difficult to bodge something together.

Alternatively you could look at using felt or baize. It can be a bit tricky making the end result look neat if you try and apply the baize to the inside of the box directly though, so something my father did when making boxes like this was to make 5 separate panels out of thin plywood to line the 4 sides and base of the box, cover those with baize making nice neat edges and corners, and then glue those panels into the box, if that makes sense.

Hi Alun,
    Yea that makes sense ;-) but not what Im after. The 2 tubes sound like an idea! Im just wondering if enough pressure will be created to pump the flock onto the drawer! Anyone know were i can source different coloured flock and adhesive?
    Cheers

Hi again Alun,
    Just checked Donjer inc. in the US and you are right about the two tubes. Im sure i can conjour up that pump device easily enough...now just to find a source that supplies suede or nylon fibres...once you pop you can't stop :-)
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

You can buy rolls of felt or suede that are self adhesive. Just cut to size, peel the backing and stick it on.

woodturner wrote: »
    You can buy rolls of felt or suede that are self adhesive. Just cut to size, peel the backing and stick it on.
    I've some of that stuff, but it can be tricky getting a really neat edge finish inside a small box like that. That's why I suggested the option of making small plywood panels to fit inside the box and cover them separately, folding the baize/felt/whatever over the edges of the panels and then inserting them into the box. You can even lightly 'upholster' them to give a padded effect. But the OP seems intent on flocking.

Now, I've not tried flocking myself tbh, but I can foresee some issues in achieving a really fault free, neat and tidy result, and if he's looking to sell them, which I think he is, then that is going to be very important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I've some of that stuff, but it can be tricky getting a really neat edge finish inside a small box like that. That's why I suggested the option of making small plywood panels to fit inside the box and cover them separately, folding the baize/felt/whatever over the edges of the panels and then inserting them into the box. You can even lightly 'upholster' them to give a padded effect. But the OP seems intent on flocking.

Now, I've not tried flocking myself tbh, but I can foresee some issues in achieving a really fault free, neat and tidy result, and if he's looking to sell them, which I think he is, then that is going to be very important.

Flocking is used on dashboards of race,rally and rallycross cars.

Most of these cars/dashboards are flocked black.

Prevents sun glare into drivers and co drivers evey.

Lots of DIY flocking kits available from motorsports stores and on Ebay.

• Advertisement

Spot on Alun. That is exactly the finish i require. And flocking is the best option. I have read about lining the inner drawer as you have described and they say it is not worth the effort because the finish is never right. You are forever trying to get rid of creases.
    A place in the UK sells flocking and a flocking company in Tipperary does it on cars. Emailed them both, but no response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) I take it you are referring to 'Suede-Tex' ?
    The flock can be mail ordered from the UK.The problem is the coloured varnish which can't be sent overseas.
    The good news is that WH Raitt, Stranolar, Donegal stock both and will do mail order.
    The colour range might be limited -they didn't have blue when I last enquired but I'm sure they will order for you.

recipio wrote: »
    ;) I take it you are referring to 'Suede-Tex' ?
    The flock can be mail ordered from the UK.The problem is the coloured varnish which can't be sent overseas.
    The good news is that WH Raitt, Stranolar, Donegal stock both and will do mail order.
    The colour range might be limited -they didn't have blue when I last enquired but I'm sure they will order for you.

Cheers Recipio
    i will check them out.
    And will keep an update if anyone is interested.

Ah, "Suede-Tex" .. that rings a bell ... I vaguely remember seeing that demonstrated, or at least mentioned, at one of the Sorby woodturning demos at Goughs in Mary Street once. Might be worth giving them a bell too if you're in the Dublin area.

Ah, "Suede-Tex" .. that rings a bell ... I vaguely remember seeing that demonstrated, or at least mentioned, at one of the Sorby woodturning demos at Goughs in Mary Street once. Might be worth giving them a bell too if you're in the Dublin area.

Goughs on little mary street?
    That's were i used to buy all my tools. Family run business and brilliant help when i used to go in. Yep Dublin area, so something local would be handy.

• Advertisement

Ok, great stuff to all. Thanks

Phoned Goughs on little Mary street (01-8731300) and as per usual they are so polite and helpful. They done the flocking a few years back but then stopped stocking it. They told me to call "thewoodshed" in Antrim.
    Called thewoodshed (04894433833) contact was Sam.
    Maroon Fibre Suede-Text = £9.50
    Matching Adhesive = £9.50
    Applicator = £3.95
    Courier to Dublin because the adhesive is flammable = £8.35

He was saying that the fibre and adhesive will go a long way. So it sounds like the proper option to line drawers.

Another option is on Ebay but im not to sure if it is the same as Suede-Text.
    Cost for adhesive, Applicator and flock is the £21
    Shipping from UK to Ireland = £20

Cheers folks

Ah yes, Sam is the guy who used to do the Sorby demos in Ireland as I recall. Good to see you got it sorted.

Ah yes, Sam is the guy who used to do the Sorby demos in Ireland as I recall. Good to see you got it sorted.

Ahh, ;-) only thanks to you Alun and the rest of the folks that posted.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

IrlMonk wrote: »

Phoned Goughs on little Mary street (01-8731300) and as per usual they are so polite and helpful. They done the flocking a few years back but then stopped stocking it. They told me to call "thewoodshed" in Antrim.
    Applicator = £3.95

He was saying that the fibre and adhesive will go a long way. So it sounds like the proper option to line drawers.

Cheers folks

I'm surprised you got a quote from ebay UK. Exporing flammable products is strictly verboten now and the seller mightn't realize that.
    I used to order Chestnut lacquer spray cans from the UK but they stopped about two years ago. WH Raitt are the only agents in the ROI for these and they mentioned that they had the Suede - Tex.There is no problem doing mail order within the ROI for flammable products.

recipio wrote: »
    IrlMonk wrote: »

Applicator = £3.95

Cheers folks

I'm surprised you got a quote from ebay UK. Exporing flammable products is strictly verboten now and the seller mightn't realize that.
    I used to order Chestnut lacquer spray cans from the UK but they stopped about two years ago. WH Raitt are the only agents in the ROI for these and they mentioned that they had the Suede - Tex.There is no problem doing mail order within the ROI for flammable products.

Hi Recipio
    i will give WH Raitt a ring today. And see what they have in stock and what their prices are like.
    i will stay away from ebay on this one.
    Cheers

Advertisement