Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sand & cement how do i calculate how much to get

• 02-04-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I'm laying a base for a BBQ and trying to work out how much sand/cement to order.

The ground is already prepared and filled with hardcore & it only has to take the weight of the BBQ and the cook (me)

its about 10 feet by three feet, so 30 square feet - any ideas on quantities & how thick I need the base ?

ta

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

If you make the base 4 inches thick,you will need 1/3 of a cubic meter of concrete,aprox half a ton of gravel(dry) and 5 bags(25kg) of cement.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭para45

How is the BBQ and base going for you . If you have a concrete company close to you then ask to deliver it to you and get a bit bigger like 1 cube or 2 cube to have the entire area in concrete including your base and standing area. Sometimes you cant mix concrete for that money. And saves loads of hassle and then you have correct mix and strengths. Like the post above said 4 inch for the strength to carry your bbq

Yes 1 or 2 cube is a little bit more than what you want . But 30 square feet is 2.7sqm which is very small for a base for a bbq and place to stand . I understand if you have space problems and making the most of you space but if you have more space make it bigger you will be happier in the long run . Unless you paving the rest of the space around this bbq then your above mentioned sizes will be ok .

Advertisement