Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions to Dead Mans beach?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

Trust a local to know this but the way i know is very swampy.

Trying to walk down to dead mans beech, its by the golf course and barracks but dunno how to walk to it or where go? Can anyone give a clue? Even a google map or google earth cordinate of a pathway that will lead to it?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm from there.

Not sure if the army open the gates anymore, but if you go to literally 5 yards before the main barracks gate and look to your left there's another gate that if you can get past it, is the road to the pitch an'd putt course.

Then walk through the course to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

kraggy wrote: »
    I'm from there.

Not sure if the army open the gates anymore, but if you go to literally 5 yards before the main barracks gate and look to your left there's another gate that if you can get past it, is the road to the pitch an'd putt course.

Then walk through the course to the beach.

Allowed walk through a pitch and putt course?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Galway K9 wrote: »
    Allowed walk through a pitch and putt course?:confused:

Walk from the docks, past Galway bay seafood, take a left, head towards the sea, turn left and follow the path around...10 minutes from the docks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

"dead mans beech" sounds like a hanging tree ?

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 superhotarrows

Go to the end of Mellows Park, there's a little parking area and beside it you'll see a gate. Climb over it and follow the trail. It's walkable but very grown over. After about 3 minutes you will come out of the clearing and onto the most gorgeous beach, right at the back of the pitch n putt course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

While you're there you will also find the remains of a small star shaped fort with two bastions from the time of the cromwellian siege.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

in by back of harbour hotel, turn left down by galway bay seafoods, over the bridge then walk down side of Bow Waves (first right) or Pat Rynn Engineering (second right)

it looks a lot nicer on google maps than reality.

nice at low tide but the first part is rather rocky..

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

lucianot wrote: »

Ok I got to it, few ways in but some suprisingly difficult. The docks was out of way but a good access point if driving.

As Kraggy said, the golf course was best but had to ask the army to open the gates and walkign a dog crossing a golf course and a firing range in the barracks going off, wasnt ideal.

The Mellows park way is very over grown and nearly fell into a swamp :D Two Best ways i found was golf course as in the map above and go to ballyloughan beech and walk the coast :)

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

Becareful with the tide!

• Advertisement

While you're there you will also find the remains of a small star shaped fort with two bastions from the time of the cromwellian siege.

Where? I can't think of anything like that and I'm from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is this Ballyloughane or someplace entirely different, can't place it at all ..... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

http://g.co/maps/2qjuv

Cromwellian fort at "A"

Deadmans beach at "B"

I still don't know what you're referring to as the fort. There is not actual fort there. Do you mean the dip in the ground where the 11th, 12th and 13th hole tee-offs are located? There's the white structure there that we used colloquially refer to as the light house with a wire sticking out the top of it.

Come to think of it, think there's grey stone remains of what might have been a look out somewhere around there.

I'm going on memory here as I haven't been there in a couple of years as I'm living abroad. But I grew up there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

kraggy wrote: »
    I still don't know what you're referring to as the fort. There is not actual fort there. Do you mean the dip in the ground where the 11th, 12th and 13th hole tee-offs are located? There's the white structure there that we used colloquially refer to as the light house with a wire sticking out the top of it.

Yep I think thats it - been a while since I was there. It would have been part of the "siege works" during the siege of Galway. So probably best to think of it as a temporary artillery position protected by earthen embankments. This is just speculation - I don't know if it had cannon or not but its position would have covered the sea approaches possibly to prevent resupply) . There would have been no railway embankment at the time.

Advertisement