Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MVP, Coaches of the Year and other awards

Options
  • 02-04-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

My idea for this is to not just use the statistics on the league manager site but for everyone to discuss the awards on here and why their player or another player they think should win

Then we can set up individual threads for people to vote on who should win what. Good idea? Or would people prefer just to let me and Santry do it like last year by quickly looking at LM?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Best rookie coach: I wish to nominate the Broncos, daflood
    There are other contenders like the Cowboys but Broncos were here from Week one.

The league needs new members so a bit of recognition is good I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Raoul

Yeah thats a good idea for a new award actually. Only thing is that I would have to make changes to the trophy cabinet design :( (I don't know if I can). If we just get what awards we want and how we are going to do it then we can set up the individual threads later. And then have a vote after the regular season, something to keep everyone interested (that didn't make it) while the playoffs are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Obviously MJD is MVP and OPOTY due to leading the league in rushing as well as (I think) receptions.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Obviously MJD is MVP and OPOTY due to leading the league in rushing as well as (I think) receptions.

Hmmm......Chris Johnson has 28 TDs though and is not far behind for rushing. Anyway....lets not discuss that here. This is just to sort out what awards and if people want to vote on it rather then just use the stats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

Raoul wrote: »
    Hmmm......Chris Johnson has 28 TDs though and is not far behind for rushing. Anyway....lets not discuss that here. This is just to sort out what awards and if people want to vote on it rather then just use the stats

I second that. There's still 3 and a half gameweeks to go so lets leave the discussion of individuals until the season is complete.

I think we should try spread the love otherwise a couple of teams will dominate (Jets (defence) and Packers (offence) spring to mind). Not sure how we go about that but the more teams that are included the better in terms of community.

• Advertisement

edit, going to write this again

Ball hawk award for the most picks and this is the Cardinals

I think most conservative coach in the league should be an award. Call it the Brian Schottenheimer award.

McG wrote: »
    I second that. There's still 3 and a half gameweeks to go so lets leave the discussion of individuals until the season is complete.

I think we should try spread the love otherwise a couple of teams will dominate (Jets (defence) and Packers (offence) spring to mind). Not sure how we go about that but the more teams that are included the better in terms of community.

Yeah but then, if you have too many it sort of takes the prestige away.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Cardinals don't have the best D and give up quite a lot of yards

But they have an incredible amount of picks

The Cardinals secondary needs some recognition. Ball hawk award for a name maybe

So instead of just one award for best D, break it down to Dline, linebackers and secondary
    You can have an overall award of course

I like that one. Or even simply run, pass, overall and turnover king awards. I would look at all the teams near the top statistically but not just give it to #1. See who each team played first and in tight situations give weight to the teams unlikely to pick up awards elsewhere. I thinking the Brown's pass defence or Eagles rush defence as a examples (as things stand now)

Yeah but then, if you have too many it sort of takes the prestige away.

Maybe. I guess it depends on priorities. I like the idea of using it to foster community but it certainly doesn't have to be that way.

All just suggestions.

• Advertisement

Most improved team (or coach)? Probably better that this is for most improved coach rather than team and count out rookie coaches picking up a CPU team.

I like that one. Or even simply run, pass, overall and turnover king awards. I would look at all the teams near the top statistically but not just give it to #1. See who each team played first and in tight situations give weight to the teams unlikely to pick up awards elsewhere. I thinking the Brown's pass defence or Eagles rush defence as a examples (as things stand now)

Thats what me and Santry did last year. For best offence we didn't just give it to the person who had the most yards, it was given to the person who had a lot of yards but also hard very few interceptions. So I think thread for each award and everyone discusses for a week and then we set up polls in each thread (Say after the divisional playoffs) which will close after the superbowl.

Thats what me and Santry did last year. For best offence we didn't just give it to the person who had the most yards, it was given to the person who had a lot of yards but also hard very few interceptions. So I think thread for each award and everyone discusses for a week and then we set up polls in each thread (Say after the divisional playoffs) which will close after the superbowl.

will playoff games (wildcard and divisional in this case) be counted or should we ask everyone to restrict their thought to regular season games only?

Regular season only imo

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Regular season only imo

Regular season I think too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

yeah i think rookie coach is a good idea, as is most improved. only counting players from last season of course. I think position awards could be good, such as most influential TE or along those lines.

Think we should start these threads tomorrow.

So the awards will be:
    Coach
    Rookie Coach
    Quarterback
    Running back
    Wide Receiver
    Offense
    Defense

Is it ok to open up a thread each Heli/Dave? And then we can have people put up who they think should be in for each award and then after the divisional games we can open up a poll to see who should get it.

Just worried that the forum will get clogged up with this and everyone's trade blocks.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Maybe everyone gets a vote, can't vote for yourself or your own players?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Wesley Chilly Jugular

will playoff games (wildcard and divisional in this case) be counted or should we ask everyone to restrict their thought to regular season games only?

i think regular season only but i would be nice to have a playoff and superbowl mvp

adrian522 wrote: »
    Maybe everyone gets a vote, can't vote for yourself or your own players?

Think that just might be too hard to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Think we should start these threads tomorrow.

So the awards will be:
    Coach
    Rookie Coach
    Quarterback
    Running back
    Wide Receiver
    Offense
    Defense

Is it ok to open up a thread each Heli/Dave? And then we can have people put up who they think should be in for each award and then after the divisional games we can open up a poll to see who should get it.

Just worried that the forum will get clogged up with this and everyone'strade blocks.

Jesus we'll need a subforum already :pac::pac:

Honetly I think we should have one thread for this especially as we'll have a boat load of trade threads.

I mean people can just post in the format

Coach Helimachoptor
    Rookie Coach helimachoptor
    Quarterback helimachoptor
    Running back etc
    Wide Receiver etc
    Offense etc
    Defense etc

and add in reasons if needed

Yeah thats what I was thinking about too many threads.

Well, then what about a week of discussion and then after the week we have a week of voting. and keep it all to this thread.

So discussion beings from here:
    Coach: Berty
    16-0, enough said. He knows more about the game than anyone else here. This was our toughest year yet and still he managed to get 16-0.

Rookie Coach: Daflood
    Only player this year to really hammer me and I had zero answer. First season in and he ends with a 13-3 record. Great stuff. Very good player.

Quarterback:
    Jake Locker :D eh...no!!
    I am going to have to give this one to Berty and the Jet's Aaron Rodgers, 2nd in the league in passing yards but also has 34 TDs and only 10 interceptions. Great stuff.

Running back
    Some might say Maurice Jones-Drew, I don't :rolleyes:. Only one winner here for me and that is Chris Johnson. The Lions team had DeSean Jackson injured for over ten weeks and had to rely on this man and his running partner Willis MaGahee. And well he delivered. 31 TDs, 2312 yards from 313 carries (7.4 average). When him and DeSean Jackson take to the field next year, watch out!

Wide Receiver
    Hines Ward for me. 9 TDs, 1235 yards from 49 receptions. And most of this with a new head coach (Wesley Chilly Jugular) and Kevin Kolb at QB. Gotta give it up for the Wesley Chilly Jugular and Hines Ward.

Offense
    Unless someone can sway me another way. Its the Jets again. They don't give up the ball, they get big yardage AND they score TDs!!!! What more can you say?

Defense
    Bills. Not a ton of interceptions but they stop teams on third down, they make sacks and they force fumbles!

(I want to spread the love but it is hard to not talk about Berty and the Jets)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

We should have a 2nd place to give someone other than the jets a shout:D

Coach: Berty, no argument
    Rookie: Daflood, no argument
    QB: Rodgers, no argument
    RB: raoul had the audacity to suggest the CJ2K is the best. MJD leads the league in both rushing yards and recpeptions. 2528 yards and 28 TDs on the ground with 84 receptions for 1093 yards and 3 touchdowns.
    WR: Reggie Wayne.
    Offense: Jets
    Defense: Jets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

You could always just take people's recommendations and then make two threads with multiple option polls. So each poll would account for a couple of the awards and you pick your player out of each one

RB: raoul had the audacity to suggest the CJ2K is the best. MJD leads the league in both rushing yards and recpeptions. 2528 yards and 28 TDs on the ground with 84 receptions for 1093 yards and 3 touchdowns.

My vote would probably go to CJ2K for RB too. MJD would get offensive player of the year/season but CJ2K has done a significantly better job running the ball and that's what I'd say this award is for. MJD having way more runs than any other player and more receptions than any other player (including WRs and TEs) kinda goes against the "don't do things we wouldn't see in NFL" ethos of this league for me.

EDIT: not going to do any voting till regular season over but I think it's fair to say Berty/Jets gets most of them

where's the love for Vernon Davis at WR/TE. :D
    Over 150 more yards than the next receiver on the same number of receptions and right up near the top on TDs

Coach: Berty
    i think this is going to be unanimous

Rookie Coach: Daflood
    first year 13-3 the numbers dont lie

Quarterback:
    aaron rodgers
    sorry packers locker had most yards and tds i know but rodgers had a higher qb rating and completion percentage the clincher for me was the td:interception ratio also it was done without a star reciever.

Running back
    maurice jones-drew
    im going to have to go mjd averaging 6.5 yards on 399 attempts is insane but both himself and chris johnson had owners that said im goin to run and if you stop my run im going to run a different way and if you stop that im goin to pa...na im gona run again but yards are more important to me that tds from a rb also 1000 yards receiving from mjd

Wide Receiver
    vernon davis
    tempted to give it to mjd but from following the post game reports davis was unstopable was the one player mentioned nearly every week

Offense
    new york jets
    feel bad putting the packer second again but the tunrovers and fumbles killed you also putting up yards is nice but its all about points scored

Defense
    new york jets
    i vote berty has to play drunk from now on to even it up least points allowed, most sacks by a long shot, least red zone tds and second most interceptions just silly numbers bertys 16-0 for a reason

on a personal note i only played 5 games this year so will i be eligible for rookie coach next year?

Coach: Berty, no argument
    Rookie: Daflood, no argument
    QB: Rodgers, no argument
    WR: Reggie Wayne.
    Offense: Jets
    Defense: Jets

cant vote for your own rb buddy

• Advertisement

cant vote for your own rb buddy

You can, Raoul did too.

Advertisement