Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enda Kenny USA visit flight cost €66,325 euro

• 02-04-2012 12:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

The cost of flying Taoiseach, Enda Kenny to the United States on the Government Gulfstream IV - under the Ministerial Air Transport Service provided by the Air Corps - was an estimated €66,325. This cost was borne by the Department of Defence.

So there you go, the equivalent of 660 households who paid tax.

What a waste

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

why is it a waste? do you know what was achieved in the US and the relative value of it compared to the flight cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know how many govts would pay 5 times that for the opportunity of a PR event like this with Presidente Obama?

Our lot waste money on lots of things but this is not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

The cost of flying Taoiseach, Enda Kenny to the United States on the Government Gulfstream IV - under the Ministerial Air Transport Service provided by the Air Corps - was an estimated €66,325. This cost was borne by the Department of Defence.

So there you go, the equivalent of 6,600 households who paid tax.

What a waste

Not a fan of Fine Gael, not a fan of Enda, not a fan of the household tax.

but in fairness if it brings inward investment of €66,326+ then it won't have been a waste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Trying to get american businesses to invest in Ireland and create much needed jobs is hardly a waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

Still cheaper than delta

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Not really, it was an official state visit, he would fly there with a full staff of about 20 people and you can't expect him to hop off a budget carrier in JFK to get a link to Washington to meet a president who is on a very tight schedule.

These trips are good for promoting Ireland this was not a waste of tax payers money and a responsible way to use the government jet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Why did Enda take a normal economy class plane flight and then a train to Europe last year then for a big fancy meeting???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

What a waste

66,000 / 100 = 660

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Councillors taking their wives and husbands to Boston and Chicago and elsewhere for St Patricks weekend is a waste of money, rate payers paying for their holidays while the councils go broke

This however OP was not a waste of money and was very high profile, seen around the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Just because it may bring new investment does not negate the fact that even if he had flown First Class with Virgin Atlantic we'd still have saved thousands of euro as a country.

The invesment can still come if he flies with an airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Hold on what the **** cost €66+????

Not complaining about the trip over but **** me is there some break down of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

What frigging pisses me off is the amount of people who said they wouldn't pay the household charage but did in the end because well 'you never know'.

These were probably the same people who told everyone in college 'Yah I don't go to lectures or study' while all the time they were furiously studying.

A portion of people I do not like to be around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Yes but OP the rich American investors will have seen David Cameron arrive in America a few days earlier on a run of the mill BA flight and will compare that to Inda and his entourage arriving in our very own Government Jet and that will definitely fool them into thinking we are super rich again and hey presto $$$$ for us!

Isn't that the whole point of the waste of money that is the Government jet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Of all the things to complain about this has to be the most ridiculous and poorly thought out.

€66,325 is not a lot of money to spend to organise a meeting with the president of one of the world's most economically powerful countries. Coming in with a state-owned private jet gives off a much different image than flying in with an airline. For a small country like Ireland image can mean quite a bit in attracting investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

statss wrote: »
    why is it a waste? do you know what was achieved in the US and the relative value of it compared to the flight cost?

American companies have no interest in Ireland, and never have. they set up here because of a low tax base then once incentives run out they move to another country where they can pay lower wages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The pilots are already employed

I also would like to see a breakdown of that figure
    Fuel, landing fees, what else?

Barack this is Enda I am delayed at customs in JFK so don't put the kettle on yet but I'lll probably see yah before the "tend" of Paddy's day,

"Cool Enda, I will just put off the meeting with the joint chiefs and wait for yee!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

Could he not have used Skype?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

kraggy wrote: »
    Just because it may bring new investment does not negate the fact that even if he had flown First Class with Virgin Atlantic we'd still have saved thousands of euro as a country.

The invesment can still come if he flies with an airline.

Nonsense, enda kenny is a VERY important man, he cannot be expected to take a normal flight along with us sh¡t munchers. And sure, isnt it only tax payers money? Sure didnt they invented a 'household charge' there recently? Loads of cash to splash so there is!

44leto wrote: »
    Barack this is Enda I am delayed at customs in JFK so don't put the kettle on yet but I'lll probably see yah before the "tend" of Paddy's day,

"Cool Enda, I will just put off the meeting with the joint chiefs and wait for yee!"
    Unlikely he would get delayed by customs with his diplomatic immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

forfuxsake wrote: »

but in fairness if it brings inward investment of €66,326+ then it won't have been a waste

I think it was a single ticket, so we're quids in already

Unlikely he would get delayed by customs with his diplomatic immunity.

Really, put your irony radar on.

Really, put your irony radar on.
    My irony radar? Dont have one I'm afraid. My arsehole radar is going off like crazy though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It is fairly pricey. I don't see how it could cost that much money. It could be a worthy investment but I think that it could have been done on a much smaller budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

he didnt even visit Barack on Paddy's Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

American companies have no interest in Ireland, and never have. they set up here because of a low tax base then once incentives run out they move to another country where they can pay lower wages

That would be their interest then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The current American administration is no friend of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

What a waste
    Link?

Originally Posted by admiralofthefleet

The last figure I heard was 120,000 people in Ireland work directly for American companies in Ireland. That is a lot of employment even if what you say was the case.

• Advertisement

Surely one of the only reasons for a business being interested in opening in a foreign country is for reduced tax expenditure? :confused: I mean, what other reason would a company commit to foreign investment. It's not as if our culture will interest them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bambi wrote: »
    You know how many govts would pay 5 times that for the opportunity of a PR event like this with Presidente Obama?

Our lot waste money on lots of things but this is not one of them
    forfuxsake wrote: »

Trying to get american businesses to invest in Ireland and create much needed jobs is hardly a waste.

Have any of you heard of aer lingus?
    €66k to fly to that tosser to america is fúcking ridiculous. If they had of left him there it would have money well spent though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

I can't believe that people are defending the cost of the flight. The reason for the trip is a good one but it is to be expected that the leader of this country would be breaking down the doors in any country that can provide investment and employment in this country.

What is not expected is to be preaching austerity to the rest of us while using public finances in this way. Travel on an airline and put the money saved towards, I don't know, maybe an extra bed in a hospital or a special needs assistant in a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

What a waste

Agreed it's disgusting and over the top. Aer lingus and other airlines run flights from Dublin to the States on a daily basis. This is just another sign of how out of touch the government is with the average person.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I love it when an OP starts a thread to try to get everybody worked up, doesn't think it through and gets ripped to shreds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

This. And it's only a matter of time before the rulers from Europe bring us all into line with an overall corp tax rate and then they'll be otta here like a light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

It's a fcuking waste. Full stop. Posturing and posing as all have done before him. The same would have been achieved through a normal (even business class) flight. Lead by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I love it when an OP starts a thread to try to get everybody worked up, doesn't think it through and gets ripped to shreds.

BS. He's pointing out the obvious. There is nothing to "think through".:rolleyes:

Have any of you heard of aer lingus?
    €66k to fly to that tosser to america is fúcking ridiculous. If they had of left him there it would have money well spent though!
    The difference in image is huge. When you're trying to promote business in your country arriving in a government jet gives off a much more impressive image than arriving in an A330 alongside people going on their holidays.

Besides, we have a government jet. If we're not going to use it for something as relatively important as this, what exactly is it going to be used for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

The difference in image is huge. When you're trying to promote business in your country arriving in a government jet gives off a much more impressive image than arriving in an A330 alongside people going on their holidays.

Besides, we have a government jet. If we're not going to use it for something as relatively important as this, what exactly is it going to be used for?

Sell it or free flights for our ever growing emigrant numbers, it is as much theirs as the governments.

I used to work for a American Corporation and one of the first cuts made in the downturn was travel. If travel was required you had to ensure that you used the cheapest available option. The balance sheet doesn't look good then the expenditure needs trimming and by God our balance sheet as a country is not good.

Just to add that we will never get out of this mess if there are people out there, that can, after all that has gone on still defend this detached exploitation of public money.

It is just another example of the cloak and dagger sh1te that goes on in this country where politicians play politics to suit their own needs. we had it with the Celtic Tiger, the constant reduction in income tax was used to keep the masses distracted to what is really going on, very much the same with the Property Tax, another smoke screen as this weeks political scandal fades into the majority of people's memories.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    BS. He's pointing out the obvious. There is nothing to "think through".:rolleyes:

I still love it. I don't care who's right or wrong. I'm kind of anarchistic like that.

Also, if it's THAT obvious, how come there are so many valid points to the contrary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Sky King wrote: »
    66,000 / 100 = 660

If that money had been put into the education system the OP might know some maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

If British Airways is good enough for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the 7th largest economy in the world, then Aer Lingus should be fine for a bankrupt state like Ireland.

Sell it off. If they in such a bad financial state that they are willing to sell off Coillte then there is no justification for keeping a luxury like a Government jet.

If British Airways is good enough for the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, the 7th largest economy in the world, then Aer Lingus should be fine for a bankrupt state like Ireland.
    British Airways is a relatively "high end" airline. Aer Lingus on the other hand is known for mainly competing with the likes of Ryanair and Easyjet.

Just because we're bankrupt doesn't mean we should send our representatives on a US mission. We need to look the part to attract business.
    Sell it off. If they in such a bad financial state that they are willing to sell off Coillte then there is no justification for keeping a luxury like a Government jet.
    The thread's about his recent visit to the US. As it stands, they had the jet at the time and they used it appropriately as far as i'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Image my arse! No one in America gives a flying fúck how he got to the country!
    I doubt Obama was waiting for him at the airport with his name on a card anyway. Enda's a liar, a robber and a squanderer plain and simple, just like the many liars, robbers and squanderers before him. He treats taxpayers money like its monopoly money. €700 a night hotel room while he's sucking up to Merkel and co telling them everyone in Ireland went mad spending money they didn't have! When enda goes on holidays out of his own money do you reckon he stays in €700 a night hotels? I wouldn't be surprised if he stopped off for a few charvet shirts on his way home.
    He's an asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭frank9901

think of the money he saved on government levy and check in charges

clever man our edna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have a sneaky feeling that the only deals Enda and the rest of the "Paddy's Day Piss-Up Jaunters" came back with, were the ones they picked up in the duty-free shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

A Gulfstream VI seats 16 people. Works out at about €4K per head

Dublin to Washington on Lufthansa Business Class works out at €3200 and takes 13 hours with a stopover in London.

Don't forget he went to New York too.

Image my arse! No one in America gives a flying fúck how he got to the country!
    I doubt Obama was waiting for him at the airport with his name on a card anyway. Enda's a liar, a robber and a squanderer plain and simple, just like the many liars, robbers and squanderers before him. He treats taxpayers money like its monopoly money. €700 a night hotel room while he's sucking up to Merkel and co telling them everyone in Ireland went mad spending money they didn't have! When enda goes on holidays out of his own money do you reckon he stays in €700 a night hotels? I wouldn't be surprised if he stopped off for a few charvet shirts on his way home.
    He's an asshole.

Yes but if he arrived into JFK on a budget airline you can be sure that plenty of people on both sides of the Atlantic WOULD have given a flying fuck and had a field day slamming him and the country for the Paddy way of doing things.

The government's haemorrhaging of money while they continually rape the taxpayer and the vulnerable of society is disgusting and immoral. But the St Patrick's day Taoiseach's trip to the US has been a high profile state visit for many years. It's one of the few areas where a statesman (which, like it or not, Enda Kenny is) is expected to behave like a statesman. And tbh, if the government wasn't making such a mess of things in so many other areas at home, this would be considered money well spent in terms of the profile it creates of the country and the potential it creates for investment, businesses and possible employment here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

one of the world's most economically powerful countries.

The USA? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The state owns a share of Aer Lingus who fly to the USA, nothing wrong with economy class and they provide great care, great fare...

• Advertisement
Advertisement