Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodworking Help

Options
  • 02-04-2012 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi hope someone can help me

I always had a keen intrest in woodwork ( making my own Furniture) but need some help on where to start.

Im looking for some tips for beginners like what type of joints should i start of trying to learn and what would be the best timber to use to learn this and also thats not to dear??

Also what would be the main tools to have i dont really want to buy any at the moment but i have a few, skill saw,jigsaw, drill, and some normal hand tools.

Hope somebody can give me a few ideas.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Welcome to the world of wood :D These are some of the basic joints you will come across.

Wood-joints-001.jpg

Start off small something like a tool box using what ever wood you can pick up cheep " I do a bit of skip diving"

ClassicWoodenToolbox.jpg

There are lots of books for beginners out there and endless amounts info on the net like http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30724
    Pick something you think you might enjoy making and go for it "measure twice and cut once" and you will be fine, any problems just ask and someone here will be glad to help out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭waynestledger

fergal.b wrote: »
    Welcome to the world of wood :D These are some of the basic joints you will come across.

Wood-joints-001.jpg

Start off small something like a tool box using what ever wood you can pick up cheep " I do a bit of skip diving"

ClassicWoodenToolbox.jpg

There are lots of books for beginners out there and endless amounts info on the net like http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=30724
    Pick something you think you might enjoy making and go for it "measure twice and cut once" and you will be fine, any problems just ask and someone here will be glad to help out. :D

Thanks very much for the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭IrlMonk

Invest in some quality hand tools. Keep them sharp and oil them down now and again. They will last forever. Best buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

Nothing more rewarding than working with native Irish wood, especially Yew, Elm and Spalted beech. Nothing wrong with Ash either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

All the above joints atelier best practiced using 2 X 1 planed. That's what I did. Learn the basic joints and then you can go onto more advanced techniques.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

A marking gauge, good quality tennon saw (one with a brass back) fine teeth and a steel ruler will get you going praticing the joints. You will also need a woodworking bench with a vice to hold the timber in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:rolleyes: The trouble is power tools have us all spoiled. Its nice to know a range of joints, like an artist's palette but beginners get disillusioned if they have to spend hours cutting mortice and tenon joints. ?
    I'd second the advice to buy quality hand tools and think about a simple dowel jig which willl cover most of a beginners needs ?

Advertisement