Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferret?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of someone with a ferret I could borrow/buy that would be good to scare the ****e out of/kill a mouse?

pm me if any info please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

seems an elaborate method to scare/terminate a mouse. What else have you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

kryogen wrote: »
    to scare the ****e out of a mouse?

pm me if any info please
    Tell him he's liable for the household charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

borrow a neighbours cat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

A mouse trap with some nutella on it does the job for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

old gregg wrote: »
    seems an elaborate method to scare/terminate a mouse. What else have you tried?

Traps (3 different types) with every kind of bait, 8 traps. been 3 weeks now and no closer to catching him. Any suggestions you have would be welcomed?

edit: also have those plug in ultra sonic things in rooms

• Advertisement

A mouse trap with some nutella on it does the job for me.

Did that, he left me a nice thank you note after licking the chocolate spread off :)

why not borrow a neighbours cat or even a little terrier,think theyre great for gettin rid of mice

anplaya wrote: »
    why not borrow a neighbours cat or even a little terrier,think theyre great for gettin rid of mice

Strange as it may seem none of my neighbours actually have a cat! He is in the walls at the moment, dont think a Terrier could get in, a ferret could though I know and have heard they are good for prevention in general since rodents are afraid of them

wudnt have any idea of any1 who owns a ferret so i cant help ya

Traps (3 different types) with every kind of bait, 8 traps. been 3 weeks now and no closer to catching him. Any suggestions you have would be welcomed?

Those ultrasonic yokes aren't worth a curse.
    There was a mouse in my grandad's house, so we put in one of those, and in about a week, there was around 5 mice!

Where are you placing the traps?

• Advertisement

bloody hell, seems like you've tried anything that would have worked for me. I seem to end up with a mouse coming in the back door every few years when the weather turns cold but a regular trap or home-made glass bottle humane trap works within 3 days of him moving in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

We killed one, and then a party of them were sent in to seek retribution.

Word had gotten out about our traps so they avoided them. As a result though, they just ended up making noise in the walls. It was as if that were their orders. "wait til they go to bed, and then run up and down the place like lunatics". Because of their no trap rule they had no access to food and ended up just dying of starvation in the walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Did you try laying some poison?

Another option is to keep an eye on posts here, lots of cats found threads. ;)

Mice are very family orientated and if you see one then there are a lot more of them around. I wouldn't be able to cope knowing there was a mouse in the place that's why I've got a few cats and most of the neighbours have cats too. Fortunately they don't leave "presents" on my doorstep.

Jesus yeah, forgot about the poison, I have the poison down as well! Have tried practically everything else I can think of, just wanna go down the overkill route at this stage and have some other creature eat him!

And for the sake of the missus we are keeping it to a one mouse only ok, no families Deisemum :)

Im gonna go around and block every single crack I can find in the house over the next couple of days and just hope he dies in the walls. He must be getting out somewhere, have found a couple of droppings in one place like, nothing major but it obviously means he is able to access the area.

I have traps down where I saw him first, also have traps under the kitchen sink, in a drawer in the kitchen with a hole in the back leading into the cavity, thats the one he ate the chocolate spread off :) and have poison outside the back near openings, am reluctant to put that in the house because I have a toddler.

I have named him Rex, so in future discussions thats who I will be referring to when I say Rex :)

a hole dug in the ground with sticks and leaves spread over the top worked for us when we had a wildebeest in the garden up in grange heights last year.

Don't block any holes until you've caught him. If Rex dies in the walls, you'll have serious fun trying to get rid of the smell!

Place traps up against walls as mice run along the walls. I've caught mice with unbaited traps that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i think its rats that run along the walls, same route every time, mice just run al over the place. i hate to say it OP but there's no chance you only have one mouse. if you only see one mouse, it's problably a young nest of mice you have and you only see the adults. honestly, it a cat you need, just for 24 hours, at this time of the year, it should do you till October.

the only reason i have a cat is because im terrified of mice rats etc. in 12 years i've never had a mouse but i've always had a cat, even though its only an outside cat.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i think its rats that run along the walls, same route every time, mice just run al over the place. i hate to say it OP but there's no chance you only have one mouse. if you only see one mouse, it's problably a young nest of mice you have and you only see the adults. honestly, it a cat you need, just for 24 hours, at this time of the year, it should do you till October.

the only reason i have a cat is because im terrified of mice rats etc. in 12 years i've never had a mouse but i've always had a cat, even though its only an outside cat.
    Mice do it too. It must be a rodent thing.

Mice will run all over the place if they are disturbed, but will run by the walls on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

wmpdd3 wrote: »

Don't always trust a cat to keep them at bay. I still shudder when I recall a horrific incident with a mouse when I lived in London.

Early one morning I could hear my cat prancing around the hallway and thought nothing of it. It just so happened that this particular morning my husband wanted something that I had in my handbag. While he was in the kitchen I was getting ready for work in our bedroom and went into the hallway to get my handbag off the floor.

I sat on the bed, opened my handbag and put my hand in the bag. A mouse ran out of it and I screamed like someone being murdered. My husband came running up the hallway thinking someone was attacking me and saw the mouse on the bed. He got the cat to take the mouse outside. I was traumatised and had screamed so much that I strained my vocal cords.

The cat had brought the mouse in earlier and I had a flapover bag so the mouse had gotten into my bag that way. Normally once I was indoors in the evening I'd leave my bag in the hallway and just pick it up next morning when going to work. All I can think of if my husband hadn't needed something that morning I'd have gone to work on the tube and would have opened my bag to get a book out to read on the journey. I dread to think of the pandemonium on the tube if that had happened and the mouse was running around it.

My thinking is that its only one mouse as I think he ran in the door one evening so gonna stick with that theory, I dont mind him dying in the wall tbh, the smell doesnt last too long as long as its a mouse, a rat is a different story alright, the smell can take an age to leave I have been told.

I have conducted extensive searches of the house, the outside etc and can find no way for mice to get in, the house is relatively new and there isnt a lot of wear and tear on it or cracks/holes.

Put down new poison last night reluctantly, hopefully it does the job.

• Advertisement

My thinking is that its only one mouse as I think he ran in the door one evening so gonna stick with that theory, I dont mind him dying in the wall tbh, the smell doesnt last too long as long as its a mouse, a rat is a different story alright, the smell can take an age to leave I have been told.

I have conducted extensive searches of the house, the outside etc and can find no way for mice to get in, the house is relatively new and there isnt a lot of wear and tear on it or cracks/holes.

Put down new poison last night reluctantly, hopefully it does the job.
    With the poison, they get dehydrated and go looking for water. As long as you don't keep water in the sink, Rex might go outside to try get some water, and then die outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Am I the only one who admires Rex for his fighting spirit and excellent capacity to avoid death? :pac:

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who admires Rex for his fighting spirit and excellent capacity to avoid death? :pac:
    I admire Rex, and hate Rex, all at the same time.

nkay1985 wrote: »

No! I had a little smile on my face and a begrudging respect for the little fighter when I saw that he had eaten the bait off the trap without getting his cranium smashed!

He escaped me and my wild hurley attacks the first night I saw him, he has eluded poison, numerous traps and is still going strong, he deserves my respect, he has proved himself a worthy adversary, but in the end there can be only one winner :)

That or we move!

He escaped me and my wild hurley attacks the first night I saw him, he has eluded poison, numerous traps and is still going strong, he deserves my respect, he has proved himself a worthy adversary, but in the end there can be only one

I feel the Highlander theme tune should be playing here...

Rex watch update

Success!! A beautiful dead mouse discovered this morning, in typical fashion he had eaten what was on one of the traps (peanut butter) without setting it off, eaten a nice amount of poison which had a delicious hazelnut spread on it for aroma but then got greedy and the old favorite bit of cheese on the trap led to his demise.....

Was great, did a little lap of honour before giving him a proper send off, it then occurred to me, that he didnt look like Rex :( so possibly one of Rex's offspring? or perhaps the night I saw Rex first the shadows played tricks on my mind and made him appear bigger then he was as the mouse in the trap this morning didnt look like a baby mouse either!

Im going to leave the traps down in the area for the next few days and see if anything else turns up in them, went through the house yesterday blocking up any hole I found with filler, leaving just that hole open to any mouse in the walls. If no more are caught in the next week or so I will block that hole up too and hope that thats the end of it!

Rex watch update

Success!! A beautiful dead mouse discovered this morning, in typical fashion he had eaten what was on one of the traps (peanut butter) without setting it off, eaten a nice amount of poison which had a delicious hazelnut spread on it for aroma but then got greedy and the old favorite bit of cheese on the trap led to his demise.....

Was great, did a little lap of honour before giving him a proper send off, it then occurred to me, that he didnt look like Rex :( so possibly one of Rex's offspring? or perhaps the night I saw Rex first the shadows played tricks on my mind and made him appear bigger then he was as the mouse in the trap this morning didnt look like a baby mouse either!

Im going to leave the traps down in the area for the next few days and see if anything else turns up in them, went through the house yesterday blocking up any hole I found with filler, leaving just that hole open to any mouse in the walls. If no more are caught in the next week or so I will block that hole up too and hope that thats the end of it!
    When's the funeral?

Rest in peace Rex. :(

• Advertisement

Not so sure it was Rex as I suspected earlier, inspected the area earlier and more of the stuff eaten off the poison but no dead mouse in a trap :(

The hunt still goes on for this warrior I think

Advertisement