Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferret?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 louloubelle

We killed one, and then a party of them were sent in to seek retribution.

Word had gotten out about our traps so they avoided them. As a result though, they just ended up making noise in the walls. It was as if that were their orders. "wait til they go to bed, and then run up and down the place like lunatics". Because of their no trap rule they had no access to food and ended up just dying of starvation in the walls.

Seriously that made me laugh out loud!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

As a matter of interest what type of traps are you putting down - the old style wooded ones or the new black plastic type ones? Had about ten mice in the house over Christmas. We were killing one every day or so but had no idea how many more were left as they were between the two floors of the house and there could have been any number really. Eventually we ran out of patience and go rentokill in and I'd say we'd still be killing them up to today if we hadn't and it was great to get rid of them quickly with their help as we were at out wits end. It's amazing how much stress the little feckers can cause. As someone said earlier they definitely do run up against the walls and it's because they're almost blind so stay by the walls. For that reason they can't really see you but can sense movements. My dog killed one but could have done with a cat to get the rest as the dog is not a terrier and just wanted to play with the mouse really. I know cats will do likewise but will usually kill them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

letsbet wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what type of traps are you putting down - the old style wooded ones or the new black plastic type ones? Had about ten mice in the house over Christmas. We were killing one every day or so but had no idea how many more were left as they were between the two floors of the house and there could have been any number really. Eventually we ran out of patience and go rentokill in and I'd say we'd still be killing them up to today if we hadn't and it was great to get rid of them quickly with their help as we were at out wits end. It's amazing how much stress the little feckers can cause. As someone said earlier they definitely do run up against the walls and it's because they're almost blind so stay by the walls. For that reason they can't really see you but can sense movements. My dog killed one but could have done with a cat to get the rest as the dog is not a terrier and just wanted to play with the mouse really. I know cats will do likewise but will usually kill them.

I have the old wooden traps, got some of the black advanced killing things out of Homebase and got 2 of the rentokill boxes (not the silly live catch ones, the do the job properly ones) altogether I have 10 traps, have filled up all holes bar one that they could get into in the kitchen and have concentrated the majority of the traps/poison in there now.

Have caught 2, think more may be dead in the walls somewhere as plenty of the posion was eaten and there was no activity at all in the last 24 hours or so, 4 traps near the hole with various baits, none touched, poison down, blocks and pellets, and neither have been touched, so hoping thats the end of it.

Will leave them down for a few days to try to be sure, then Im going to fill up the hole, would like to be sure all mice in the house are dead before sealing it. Some of them were very impressive, setting off traps and surviving, eating bait off the traps without setting them off, eating huge amounts of poison and just keeping on truckin!

They are a pain in the ass but once you close off their access and try to focus them in one area it seems easier to control, I gave the guys at PestGuard a call for advice and they were very helpful. Didnt need them to come out as I had pretty much put everything in place, just got a few helpful tips off them.

Just a note on the traps, the old wooden ones were the ones that caught the mice, but I wouldnt say they were better really, more luck I think as the black ones from Homebase are extremely powerful and sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Yeah, all the ones that we caught were on the black ones. They kept taking the stuff off the old wooden ones and your man from rentokil said that the small mice will often take the food off those wooden ones without setting them off. They did do the same one the black traps but far less often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Masala

Heard a old wives tale that if you can get you hands on Ferret used bedding from their cage etc and leave it in your attic, under stairs etc (good fresh smelly stuff now!!) - will scare rats and mice out of the house. I believe ferrets 'smell' is vile!!

Worth a try if you can't actually use teh ferret because of small spaces etc!!

• Advertisement

The rats/mice etc fear the ferrets alright, so I hear so just the presence of one is supposed to be enough to get rid of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

i'm afraid to google a picture of a ferret...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    i'm afraid to google a picture of a ferret...

They're really cute looking.

Ferrets are not terrible looking really :) kinda freaky looking imo, the length of them etc

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

I've a ferret here!
    Where abouts are you living?
    The smells enough to drive them out apparently but I dunno if thats true cos I've pet rats and they'll go over by the ferret cage no bother..

• Advertisement

It helps if the ferret is trained to hunt I think, thought the rodents had an in built sense of fear of them, the way deers fear lions etc, pet rats?? ewwww!!!! :)

Im in the city, if I have any more problems Ill pm you with details if you wouldnt mind seeing if the ferret would help?

I gotta ask, pet rats??!? why?

Advertisement