Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferrets for keeping rodents away?

• 02-04-2012 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I have been told that ferrets are good for killing/keeping mice and rats etc away from the home, is this true? If so how would I go about training one to be a good protector and/or get my hands on one that is already trained for the purpose?

Comments

They dont kill mice and rats. But the smell might stop them from coming in. We had a rat problem due to next door having a shed, they didnt look after . Rats lived under there and make their way into our garden. When we got ferrets, we have not seen a rat since. Its 6 years later !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

kryogen wrote: »
    Hi there, I have been told that ferrets are good for killing/keeping mice and rats etc away from the home, is this true? If so how would I go about training one to be a good protector and/or get my hands on one that is already trained for the purpose?
    I have used my big buck for gettin rid of my mates rats under his bird shed and he got 3 rats and killed the babies aswell he is excellent for rats and mice aswell
    You don't need to train a ferret to hunt or kill them it's instinct but I would suggest a big buck for the job as a big female rat with babies is a fierce opponent and can do damage a big buck can handle her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Reminder: Hunting discussions are not permitted in this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

OP would you not get a cat ?

Advertisement