Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jessie J - how did she get so important?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭

Ok so I know she had a smash hit single that was played so much we all wanted to throw the radio out the window, but as far as I can recall, thats all she had.

Her album was well reviewed, but again, so what? Many people have had well reviewed albums.

I'm not into that type of music but I don't remember a 2nd smash hit single, or a 3rd ..... many artists have had many hits.

Then I see her on the Hootenany, and now she apparently has the power to decide who has a great voice on The Voice UK (and she is annoying as hell on it).

So did I miss something? Or was she just in the right place at the right time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Well, it probably was a little bit of a case of 'right place at the right time'. It usually is for most pop stars. That said, she is genuinely a very good singer, and from what I've read and heard about her, she's plugged away at it, writing her own material and had a lot of missed opportunities due to being in a serious accident a few years back. Not a huge fan of her music, but I've some respect for her and what she's been through. She's a hard worker, by all accounts.

As far as The Voice goes, well yer man from The Script is on that too. Whatever about Jessie J, I think it's worth asking how they ever got so important. At least Jessie J can write a somewhat catchy tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

She has a hot ass in them catsuits. You cant dispute that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

see 'cheryl cole' and 'tulisa cantsingfor****e' for similar.

it wrecks my head - she's sold 1.2 million albums and is picked by (at least one) contestants ahead of a living legend, a successful worldwide band's lead singer and probably the biggest writer/producer/group in the world right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

She's not bad, I would rather hear about her than Britney, Nikki Manaj, GaGa or any other mediocre at best pop stars any day.

It just remains to be seen how relevant she will be a year, two years or even six months down the line. Price Tag was a huge pop hit but will it stay with people once she goes off the scene? A good pop song will mean volumes to thousands of people, I'm sure many people back in the 90s thought Robbie Williams would crash and burn but Angels has stayed with us since and is one of the most covered songs of the last 20 years.

In Jessie J's case its too early to say, is she already packing out arenas?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well, it probably was a little bit of a case of 'right place at the right time'. It usually is for most pop stars. That said, she is genuinely a very good singer, and from what I've read and heard about her, she's plugged away at it, writing her own material and had a lot of missed opportunities due to being in a serious accident a few years back. Not a huge fan of her music, but I've some respect for her and what she's been through. She's a hard worker, by all accounts.

As far as The Voice goes, well yer man from The Script is on that too. Whatever about Jessie J, I think it's worth asking how they ever got so important. At least Jessie J can write a somewhat catchy tune.

I knew people would throw the 'guy from the Script' back at me.

I agree with you, don't like them either. But at least they have had more than 1 hit single.

As for you saying she can write a somewhat catchy tune, we are still waiting on the 2nd catchy tune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

She didn't. Come on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

I would say Jessie J's position on The Voice has more to do with her being "current" and "relevant" and "now" as opposed to her musical ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

NIMAN wrote: »
    Ok so I know she had a smash hit single that was played so much we all wanted to throw the radio out the window, but as far as I can recall, thats all she had.

Her album was well reviewed, but again, so what? Many people have had well reviewed albums.

I'm not into that type of music but I don't remember a 2nd smash hit single, or a 3rd ..... many artists have had many hits.

Then I see her on the Hootenany, and now she apparently has the power to decide who has a great voice on The Voice UK (and she is annoying as hell on it).

So did I miss something? Or was she just in the right place at the right time?

I don't understand it either to be honest. Her music is bland, lets be honest about it. A tune of hers could come on any radio station and I wouldn't have a clue who it is unless the presenter gives the name of it. Her pious attitude for being a tee-totaller is nauseating (like when she played at the trinity ball and was shocked to see drunk students there :confused:). My only reasoning behind her success is as shown by the likes of One Direction; the media now tells this generation what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I don't really understand it either and I'm not a music snob. I can understand why artists like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera were successful. Sure I like chart music as much as the next (in addition to 'good' music though, don't worry :P)

But I honestly don't think she has very good pop tunes. She can sing, but she hasn't got a very interesting voice. She's also quite annoying in interviews that I've seen.

Really don't get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I agree with you, don't like them either. But at least they have had more than 1 hit single.

As for you saying she can write a somewhat catchy tune, we are still waiting on the 2nd catchy tune.

They've had more than one single, but they're all ****e. Pretty sure Jessie J has had more than one song too. I've definitely heard at least two on the radio.

• Advertisement

For me, she's in the same league as that Perry girl, and she has released about 8 hit singles.

That versus Jessie J's one (or two if you listen to some people).

I think she is doing stuff like The Voice UK now to cash in on her popularity before the world finds out she's a fad and she becomes yesterdays news.

She's a One Hit wonder who is milking it for all that its worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭MiissTL

God I'd love to know how old ye all are....

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The Script just had the same story behind every song to me. Jessie J has had Price Tag, Look at me now and domino as singles and she does have a outstanding voice. She can diversify her voice which not a lot of artists can do.

OK, can I just add another comment, I don't like the Script either!

But for me they have done more than Jessie J. She has has a massive hit single and now is held up as some sort of genius.

And as for some of the comments, age is irrelevant to this argument. Maybe a 'toung music fan' can tell me what exactly she has done to warrant such hype?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've liked pretty much all her singles. Can't see any reason to dislike her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

I actually hate her.
    I thought price tag was a great pop song, but in my opinion, her album was rubbish and then, when I saw more and more of her personality and demeanour, I grew to actually really, really despise her that I cannot bear to even look at her.

livinsane wrote: »
    I've liked pretty much all her singles. Can't see any reason to dislike her.

Not so much questioning her actual music, as music is subjective and what I like many might not.

I was originally asking how did she manage to get some famous, so influential, a judge on The Voice UK etc, all based on what was basically a one hit wonder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Jessie J has become a big selling artist in the past year. However don't think she should be on The Voice. I just don't think she has the experience that the others might have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I wouldn't say she's an "important" artist at all.

Important music acts are few and far between (The Beatles, Zeppelin, Joy Division, James Brown etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jessie can sing and the guy from the script actually cannot (outside of a studio)

• Advertisement

My ma can sing, doesn't make her 'star' material.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

My ma can sing, doesn't make her 'star' material.
    it does actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Not so much questioning her actual music, as music is subjective and what I like many might not.

I was originally asking how did she manage to get some famous, so influential, a judge on The Voice UK etc, all based on what was basically a one hit wonder.
    Money obviously, and looks. She obviously has a big major label backing behind her to maximise her otherwise limited talent and market her as a product to fans of commercial music. Unfortunatly in most cases these days money buys fame, not talent.

Also I don't see how she's influential. Name one artist that's been influenced by her.

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Money obviously, and looks. She obviously has a big major label backing behind her to maximise her otherwise limited talent and market her as a product to fans of commercial music. Unfortunatly in most cases these days money buys fame, not talent.

Also I don't see how she's influential. Name one artist that's been influenced by her.

She may not influence other artists, but she has influence. Just look at her on The Voice UK. She can have the power to decide if someone had a music career or not. A lot of people choose her as a mentor as if she's the biggest thing in music, when she's had 1 or 2 hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Jessie can sing and the guy from the script actually cannot (outside of a studio)

While not a huge fan of The Script, they are a decent band and yer man can sing outside of the studio. I saw them live twice (once at Oxegen and once supporting U2). Granted, I was very drunk for at least one of those shows but I thought he could sing live.

I don't get why The Script get so much hate :confused: Typical Irish begrudgery IMO. If they weren't Irish, they wouldn't be getting so much hate.

Again, this comes from someone who doesn't particularly like their music, but they have a good few popular songs and hit album.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

While not a huge fan of The Script, they are a decent band and yer man can sing outside of the studio. I saw them live twice (once at Oxegen and once supporting U2). Granted, I was very drunk for at least one of those shows but I thought he could sing live.

I saw them at Oxegen last year and supporting U2 in Croker. Thought Danny sang well in Croker but not so much at Oxegen, I suppose it must have been the extensive touring before they last appeared at Oxegen that took its toll on his voice.
    I don't get why The Script get so much hate :confused: Typical Irish begrudgery IMO. If they weren't Irish, they wouldn't be getting so much hate.

I don't get all the hate either. It just seems to be typical of music snobbery that nowadays people who listen to mainstream music are looked down upon. Quite frankly I think its bulls*** I listen to mainstream music AND non-mainstream music. Ffs liking one popular/commercial band doesn't make you a "non music fan", its childs play at best either way for the music snobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

She may not influence other artists, but she has influence. Just look at her on The Voice UK. She can have the power to decide if someone had a music career or not. A lot of people choose her as a mentor as if she's the biggest thing in music, when she's had 1 or 2 hits.
    So basically because she's a judge on some karaoke contest you think she is somehow influential? I think that sums up this thread, I'm out.

I still don't see how she's important in a musical sense.

Cheerio then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I would not have thought that she was influential in any way.

I think that the reason she is being used by shows like the X Factor and The Voice is that she has got the personality, image and "spunkiness" that is required for an entertainment show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Being given a spot on a judges' panel doesn't make her more 'important' or more influential on an artistic level.

She is obviously a pop star with status but so far her hits have been largely generic tunes that could be slapped onto a Katy Perry/Lady Gaga/etc album

Advertisement