Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jessie J - how did she get so important?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Living off one song for the moment, I can't see her doing anything beyond this album tbh.

Incredibly overrated, I reckon give her a few months off the scene working on her next album, and she'll be forgotten about. Can't see her being a commercial success in the future in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

but so far her hits have been largely generic tunes that could be slapped onto a Katy Perry/Lady Gaga album

She fukkin wishes...!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Being given a spot on a judges' panel doesn't make her more 'important' or more influential on an artistic level.

She is obviously a pop star with status but so far her hits have been largely generic tunes that could be slapped onto a Katy Perry/Lady Gaga/etc album

I agree there is nothing legendary about her or her music she is on that show because shes popular at the moment which means more ratings thats simple enough but she's not generic in the sense that she's the same as those other pop acts, not that I have much of a vested interested in chart music but Lady Gaga and Katy Perry will be remembered as majour pop acts of this time in the future which doesn't make them important to music just to pop alone and all that means is in ten years time their song that will be remembered the most will be played ironically at a party, not so much with Jessie J as she is just "the UK's answer to" those kinds of pop stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Jessie J - how did she get so important? - shes not. NOT to me anyway.
    NIMAN wrote: »
    ...So did I miss something? Or was she just in the
    right place at the right time?

Define important? Popular, sales, musical ability what? Of all the acts you hear about today, in 10 yrs the kids won't know who 99% of them are.

That said I like Jessie J few songs I know and she can sing well. But ultimately what's popular doesn't have to be important. A lot of the biggest selling acts in the world have done nothing musically or culturally important, or genre redefining. Its just entertainment.

saa wrote: »
    .... Lady Gaga and Katy Perry...

I doubt it. Nothing defining about the music of these artists either.

Consider in the past you had artists which launched whole sub cultures especially in fashion, or neither of these have managed this. Never mind define a new genre of music or anything.

The popular media these day has promoted the cult of celebrity for simply being famous, rather than any thing significant and enduring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If you are wondering why Jessie J is so important then you are old....
    Music is finished. You will never see another seminal band in the media, they are out there, but they are seen as the enemy by the music business. Simon Cowell has won in a sense that his ilk have flooded the market with bland marketable crap to the extent that kids don't know any better and believe that this is the real deal.
    Indeed maybe one direction are the new Beatles!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

MiissTL wrote: »
    God I'd love to know how old ye all are....

:rolleyes:

I'm 17 and I think she's shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Rastapitts

the usual i like kissing girls got her famous

Rastapitts wrote: »
    the usual i like kissing girls got her famous

...works for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

If you are wondering why Jessie J is so important then you are old....
    Music is finished. You will never see another seminal band in the media, they are out there, but they are seen as the enemy by the music business. Simon Cowell has won in a sense that his ilk have flooded the market with bland marketable crap to the extent that kids don't know any better and believe that this is the real deal.
    Indeed maybe one direction are the new Beatles!:eek:
    If you define 'old' as over the age of 13 then I guess we're old. I don't see what age has to do with it, all you need is a decent grasp on music to see that she is in no way important in a music sense.

Music is far from dead, music is alive and kicking. It may be dead as far as commercially-inclined music is concerned but the underground is thriving. Who cares what's flooding the market it means nothing at the end of the day.

If you wanted to find new music that's inventive and full of meaning would you look to what EMI or Sony have cashed in on or would you look to the underground instead? I know what I'd choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

BostonB wrote: »
    Jessie J - how did she get so important? - shes not. NOT to me anyway.

Define important? Popular, sales, musical ability what? Of all the acts you hear about today, in 10 yrs the kids won't know who 99% of them are.

That said I like Jessie J few songs I know and she can sing well. But ultimately what's popular doesn't have to be important. A lot of the biggest selling acts in the world have done nothing musically or culturally important, or genre redefining. Its just entertainment.

Not going to go over stuff I've said a few times already.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Shes not really my cup of tea but I must say I did love this youtube video that was up just before she "broke" :

NIMAN wrote: »
    Not going to go over stuff I've said a few times already.

You haven't actually haven't explained anything tbh. You're only point seems to be, because you don't rate her, shes not important to be a judge on some banal cult of celebrity TV show. These reality TV shows, are scripted to be sensationalist, and with sole aim of making money. Its got nothing to do with music, they exist simply to a fast buck with minimum of effort. As such they could put, sponge bob up there as a judge. In the end you get out of it what they put in. Which is almost zero. To ask about musical credentials on a show like this, is to imply music credibility it hasn't got.

Go back and read the opening post, I think that kinda sums up what I'm hinting at.

The fact that she seems to be getting a lot of attention, carries a lot of sway and importance to be considered as a judge on a major new TV show, when she is technically a One Hit wonder.

There's not a day that she's not in the papers.
    Here's another example
    http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/jessie-j-lost-for-words-after-man-dies-following-concert-attack-3074873.html

Basically it was a star studded bash with several performers, but for some reason we should care that Jessie J was saddened? More so than any of the others at the bash?

Anyway, this argument is going in circles. Roll on 2013 or 2014 when, if there's any justice, it will be "Jessie who?"

Basically you don't like her. TV and popular media is overflowing with minor celebs, and one hit wonders, and people famous for being famous. This is old news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

18. I don't like her. Is there a connection between those two things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 AnimalCracker

I dont like her either... Just another X Factor type singer..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

20 why???

Perhaps younger people might think its something newsworthy. Older people will have seen hundreds of Jessie J's along the way. Some people may be less begrudging of someone having their moment in the sun.

She seems to have become a sensation over the past year, but i'm not sure why. She definitely doesn't have the experience to be a coach on The Voice don't know why anybody picks her! Her songs aren't really any different from anybody elses these days so don't understand how she has become so popular!

Thanks, that basically is a summary of what I've been saying from Post#1.

Glad others agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

BostonB wrote: »
    ...works for me...

A facetious comment, I'm sure..:)
    I doubt it. Nothing defining about the music of these artists either.

Consider in the past you had artists which launched whole sub cultures especially in fashion, or neither of these have managed this. Never mind define a new genre of music or anything.

The popular media these day has promoted the cult of celebrity for simply being famous, rather than any thing significant and enduring.
    Surely this is how you feel about it, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

Have to agree, i'm not fussed on her genre on music but admittedly there is one or two songs by other artist of this genre I do happen to like. She has no more experience than similar artists such as Pixie Lott, Katy Perry, Kesha. I just think she is over rated amd most definitely was in the right place at the right time.

I don't know why ye think you need to experience or talent to be a a judge on a half baked reality show that's probably rigged and heavily scripted, to make the most money for the production company. As there's a whole range of reasons, perhaps she was the only person available, would agree to do it, was at the right price. Who know's. But talent and experience being the criteria. You've got to be kidding.

I don't really see any qualitative difference between most of these judges/artists for a show like this. Because its not a talent show. Its a ratings show. They almost always include some new artist simply to broaden the ratings base, catch a younger audience into the catchment.

Advertisement