Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh the woes of having to work!

Options
  • 02-04-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm looking into getting my lip pierced, just wondering is it possible to have a retainer in from the start? I work in a chip shop so I don't have time for it to heal before putting one in, it's a pain! :P Otherwise it's the blue plaster on my face option :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

I wouldn't advise it, it'll slow down healing and I doubt anywhere reputable would pierce with a retainer.

Back when I was in school I used to take the ball of the end of the labret bar, so all you'd see was the thread at the end sticking out, it's barely noticeable and beats plastic bars. Just don't forget and swallow the bar.. :rolleyes:

Also, have you actually asked if facial piercings aren't allowed? A few people in my local chipper have visible piercings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I wouldn't advise it, it'll slow down healing and I doubt anywhere reputable would pierce with a retainer.

Back when I was in school I used to take the ball of the end of the labret bar, so all you'd see was the thread at the end sticking out, it's barely noticeable and beats plastic bars.
    Just don't forget and swallow the bar.. :rolleyes:

Also, have you actually asked if facial piercings aren't allowed? A few people in my local chipper have visible piercings :D

That sounds like a good idea, dunno why I didn't think of that actually!
    We're not allowed to have anything that could potentially fall into the food, but if the front ball is off that eliminates that problem! Will have to still ask to see if that's even ok (once my trial period is up :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

At the start I got mine pierced with a bio plast bar, screw off the ball and you'll barely see it because it's see through plastic. Handy aswell because at the start I used to bite it a lot when eating and the plastic Dosent harm your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

So, I asked, and got a big no :( Not the image we want to be projecting apparently :(
    At the start I got mine pierced with a bio plast bar, screw off the ball and you'll barely see it because it's see through plastic. Handy aswell because at the start I used to bite it a lot when eating and the plastic Dosent harm your teeth.

I've been told that's bad, that it won't heal properly with plastic. Also been told if I take the ball off the end that it'd heal over it. I've been looking for some sort of flesh coloured titanium option but so far have come up with nada, there's only options for people who've had their piercing in a few weeks.

I know the obvious option is to wait, but I've been waiting since I was 15 to get this! Finally have a chance where it'd be ok, but then something else gets in my way :( May never get it at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

So, I asked, and got a big no :( Not the image we want to be projecting apparently :(

I've been told that's bad, that it won't heal properly with plastic. Also been told if I take the ball off the end that it'd heal over it. I've been looking for some sort of flesh coloured titanium option but so far have come up with nada, there's only options for people who've had their piercing in a few weeks.

I know the obvious option is to wait, but I've been waiting since I was 15 to get this! Finally have a chance where it'd be ok, but then something else gets in my way :( May never get it at this stage!

Mine healed up perfect and so did my friends who also got his lip done with bio plast it was one of the easiest piercings to heal. Also it'll only grow over it if the bar is extremely short and never moves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've been told that's bad, that it won't heal properly with plastic. Also been told if I take the ball off the end that it'd heal over it.

Acrylic ones are bad, and generally not recommended for piercings at all.
    Bioplast ones should be fine though!

Taking the ball off the end shouldn't be much of a problem, unless you're leaving it off long term, or it slips and stays back below the skin level. You'd wanna make sure it's internally threaded though to avoid any irritation of your piercing.

Advertisement