Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who doesnt like star wars?

• 02-04-2012 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭

I work in a 9-5 job as a programmer, and apparently were all "nerds" (I disagree completely) and my collegues are puzzled as to how i don't like star wars LOL....oh and avatar is another!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm a programmer. I don't like Star Wars. Your colleagues are idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Everyone likes Star Wars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Martin Sheen: so much so that he was actually arrested over his disapproval of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seachmall wrote: »
    I'm a programmer. I don't like Star Wars.

Blasphemy - you must be stoned! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Trekkies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Keno 92 wrote: »

I don't, sorry :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

George Lucas. There's no other explanation for the way he's trying to ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

The first trilogy were grand, but 4 5 and 6 are terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Keno 92 wrote: »

I don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

1,2 and 3 :cool:

• Advertisement

FatherLen wrote: »
    Trekkies

I like both! Well, three Trek series, a few of the films, and the original versions of the three Star Wars films (some people claim there's six for some reason).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

George Lucas. There's no other explanation for the way he's trying to ruin it.

he thinks The Empire Strikes Back is the worst one, despite it being almost universally praised as being the best one, says volumes. cos it has a plot and great dialogue and no Jar Jar or Ewoks.

I grew up watching Star Wars so the original trilogy will always be great to me, the prequels range from absolute dross to sort of watchable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

star wars is a load of bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Star wars is for c**ts

Blakes 7 is all you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

All Sci-fi is rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

star wars is a load of bollocks
    Bambi wrote: »
    Star wars is for c**ts

Blakes 7 is all you need.

I wish people would actually say what's on their minds instead of tip-toeing around the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

Uh hello?
    4, 5 and 6 are actually the first trilogy.
    1, 2 and 3 are the prequels, and I think they are really underrated. George Lucas always had a vision and it should be respected.

Seriously though I hate them all except for empire. It's the only one I can enjoy

krudler wrote: »
    he thinks The Empire Strikes Back is the worst one, despite it being almost universally praised as being the best one, says volumes. cos it has a plot and great dialogue and no Jar Jar or Ewoks.

I grew up watching Star Wars so the original trilogy will always be great to me, the prequels range from absolute dross to sort of watchable.

I think he claimed once he wished he could destroy the original negatives of the original trilogy and have each updated version be the standard, presumably also doing away completely with their previous iterations once the new one came out.

Even when he grudgingly released the limited editions of the DVD versions with the original versions included (sans digital remastering), the originals were included on the bonus disc among the other extras, as though they're not even really films.

The man is completely deluded.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

All Sci-fi is rubbish.
    Firefly/Serenity - best sci-fi ever created! :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've never gotten into it.
    I like sci-fi, but not Star Wars....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

People who are afraid of what people think of them and their image. . . . probably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The original three movies are okay. As a fan of science fiction in general and cinema and it's development i can appreciate the importance of those 3 movies within the motion picture canon. I never really got the huge love for it but that's possibly because i simply wasn't of cinema going age when they were there. I imagine if you were a young person hitting the cinema to catch them upon their initial release it probably all was a bit special.
    All Sci-fi is rubbish.

Science fiction that is obsessed with lazers and technology tends to be pretty weak but the simple truth is that the concepts and social themes explored by the likes of Asimov, Dick, Banks and Gibson will only become more relevant as time goes on.

To be honest, dismissing an entire genre of anything as "rubbish" is a lazy and pointless argument...you haven't read or seen all sci-fi. I find it odd coming from you, a poster who seems to enjoy pointing out the childish nature of others as it is such a childish argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm fully convinced that the Original Star Wars (without any of the pretentious Episode 4 New Hope stuff) would not have been the success it was without Marcia Lucas and her team of editors making coherent sense of a messy shoot, her re-appraisal of Lucas' dialogue and John Williams producing perhaps his symphonic masterpiece.

The prequels are utter bilge and provide evidence that George Lucas was a hack all along, too much power and not enough nay-sayers, everyone afraid to disagree with his writing and directorial choices. They would and could have been excellent movies had they not gone the route of say a Joel Schumacher Batman Forever for example and taken the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight approach. The Anakin Skywalker character is almost Shakesperean and they dropped the ball BIG TIME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

The first 3 would have been good if Luke wasn't such a gimp. The new 3 are rubbish.

All Sci-fi is rubbish.

I've never understood when people say this. It's like saying "all drama is rubbish" or "all comedy is rubbish:" sci-fi's just too wide and varied a genre to dismiss in one go.
    It's so all-encompassing I'd hesitate to call it just a genre.

How can you compare the works of Arthur C. Clarke with The X-Files?

2001: A Space Odyssey with Firefly?

The Foundation Series with A Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

A Voyage to the Moon with Battlestar Galactica (either version)?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭fluff_daddy

I work in computers also and think Star wars is utter kak. In my company there is alot of nerds alright but i wouldnt classify myself as one. Id say years ago it was all nerds who worked in computing but not any more. I can tell them apart by things they laugh at :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Watched about half of the original film, didnt like it and never went back to watch them or the new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

I work in computers also and think Star wars is utter kak. In my company there is alot of nerds alright but i wouldnt classify myself as one. Id say years ago it was all nerds who worked in computing but not any more. I can tell them apart by things they laugh at :)

Pie is exactly 3!!!!

Biggins wrote: »
    Firefly/Serenity - best sci-fi ever created! :cool:

Serenity was everything the Star Wars prequels should have been, fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

All Sci-fi is rubbish.

When it's done seriously a la Alien/Blade Runner then it's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

I'm a programmer/ic designer and I've never seen star wars.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't hate it, but don't have any particular love for it either.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Never got it myself. Still, each to their own. :)

• Advertisement

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I'm fully convinced that the Original Star Wars (without any of the pretentious Episode 4 nonsense) would not have been the success it was without Marcia Lucas and her team of editors making coherent sense of a messy shoot, her re-appraisal of Lucas' dialogue and John Williams producing perhaps his symphonic masterpiece.

The prequels are utter bilge and provide evidence that George Lucas was a hack all along, too much power and not enough nay-sayers, everyone afraid to disagree with his writing and directorial choices. They would and could have been excellent movies had they not gone the route of say a Joel Schumacher Batman Forever for example and taken the Christopher Nolan Dark Knight approach. The Anakin Skywalker character is almost Shakesperean and they dropped the ball BIG TIME.

Agreed, thing is that Lucas was once a competent director, his student film THX 1138 is amazing for what it is, I totally think John Williams was half the reason for Star Wars' success, if it had been a contemparary 70s style soundtrack or something full of electronic synth and "sci-fi" sounding it would have been a different movie, the score for A New Hope is a masterpiece, end of. The making of Star Wars and its influences is just as fascinating as the movie itself, no Star Wars= no Pixar, no Lucasarts games, no ILM, no Skywalker Sound, no Indiana Jones. the movie world is a far better place with it existing. granted the over merchandising and negative aspects cant be ignored. I really hate how Lucas sees the movies as a work in progress, its like a painter adding in new stuff into a work of art because of new techniques avaiable, leave it alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I liked the 1st trilogy, didn't love it but found them enjoyable. The culture takes it a bit too far, though, where I can't go anywhere on the web without a daily reminder of the sight of Darth Vadar or a Stormtrooper.

The prequels were droll, watching the Oireacthas would've been more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

My husband is a star wars fan, for our first date I took him to see a star wars movie and I feel asleep :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Never got Star Wars. Tried, but just couldn't take to it. Some of my friends are very into it and I do sometimes wish I knew or cared when they are discussing the films, but I don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I need to rewatch the first trilogy again because it's been years since i properly watched it and I don't have the DVD. But yeah the first trilogy is good, because it's historic and I liked the story so much. The last trilogy was just a bunch of CGI crap overglossing a crappy story. Although I didn't mind Revenge of the Sith too much but anyway.

I'm also on the same page as people who are annoyed with George Lucas, I just think he's raping the legacy of star wars with these new blu rays stuff. I mean do we really need to see Christian Hayden inserted into Return of the Jedi just because he played Anakin. I feel sorry for the actor who played old Anakin, who got cut out of the ending because Lucas had to put young Anakin in instead. It's little things like that that get to me, but seriously Lucas is stupid for doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

krudler wrote: »
    Agreed, thing is that Lucas was once a competent director, his student film THX 1138 is amazing for what it is, I totally think John Williams was half the reason for Star Wars' success, if it had been a contemparary 70s style soundtrack or something full of electronic synth and "sci-fi" sounding it would have been a different movie, the score for A New Hope is a masterpiece, end of. The making of Star Wars and its influences is just as fascinating as the movie itself, no Star Wars= no Pixar, no Lucasarts games, no ILM, no Skywalker Sound, no Indiana Jones. the movie world is a far better place with it existing. granted the over merchandising and negative aspects cant be ignored. I really hate how Lucas sees the movies as a work in progress, its like a painter adding in new stuff into a work of art because of new techniques avaiable, leave it alone!
    Have you seen the Redletter Media Plinkett Star War's reviews. It really puts it into perspective on why episodes 1,2, and 3 suck. I've seen reviews more times then the movies. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

Have you seen the Redletter Media Plinkett Star War's reviews. It really puts it into perspective on why episodes 1,2, and 3 suck. I've seen reviews more times then the movies. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

I have theyre great, especially the Episode I one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I like Star Wars but I hated the prequels (all of them). I recently rewatched them in Bluray and like all scifi it doesn't date well.

So OP if you under 30 I can understand why you didn't like them. When I seen them first, they were cutting edge special effects and for their time absolutely amazing.

As for Avatar again the 3D was a visual eye popping fest and enjoyable for that reason, but the film storyline and dialogue was utter shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I've never seen an entire Star Wars film, not really my thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I like star wars fine but I'm not fanatical about it. I really enjoyed it back in the day but now I just cant take it seriously having seen and enjoyed the Robot Chicken Star Wars trilogy.

Its all a bit boring and I agree with the poster that said John Williams really made the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

mrs crilly wrote: »
    My husband is a star wars fan, for our first date I took him to see a star wars movie and I feel asleep :o

You would be forgiven for falling alseep during any of the prequel trilogy.

Terrible stuff!!!!

I love the original Trilogy though, watched it recently on Bluray, and its looks a lot better today than that prequel load of sh1te does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It never quite clicked with me why I didn't think too much of Star Wars until I got a bit older - it's fantasy sci-fi and I'm not much into fantasy shtuff.

Princes, princesses, super villains and boy-heroes in the future in space? Na.

Star wars is starkly contrasted by Alien. The crew in Alien were just doing a job in space - ordinary people bringing home stuff and confronted with extra ordinary circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I've always liked sci-fi but Star Wars is sh1te. I'm surprised that Disney wasn't involved.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The original trilogy is a masterpiece. The newer ones are mediocre at best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement