Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who doesnt like star wars?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've never even seen it :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Weirdos, that's who!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    You would be forgiven for falling alseep during any of the prequel trilogy.

Terrible stuff!!!!

I love the original Trilogy though, watched it recently on Bluray, and its looks a lot better today than that prequel load of sh1te does.

Star wars for me was great at Christmas when I was a kid and I had a selection box in front of me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Never seen it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Absolutely loved it as a kid, but I've lost the love of it now a days.

I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan to be honest. I find it usually doesn't have great character development/chemistry. Which is why Firefly/Serenity is the one sci-fi I really love. It nailed everything perfectly. And the fact it got cut so early means there was never a bad episode :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

It never quite clicked with me why I didn't think too much of Star Wars until I got a bit older - it's fantasy sci-fi and I'm not much into fantasy shtuff.

Princes, princesses, super villains and boy-heroes in the future in space? Na.
    It tells an epic story without getting all preachy and moral/christian over it though, and the special effects stand up pretty well even today, which is nothing short of astonishing. The Saturday morning simplicity leavened with the rough diamond of Han Solo just hits all the right spots for a lot of people. Actually he makes the entire trilogy really work more than any other character.

I like it, used to like Star Trek too but I'm gone off that now, spoiled with Farscape and Firefly I guess, but Star Wars hasn't lost its charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    Absolutely loved it as a kid, but I've lost the love of it now a days.

I'm not the biggest sci-fi fan to be honest. I find it usually doesn't have great character development/chemistry. Which is why Firefly/Serenity is the one sci-fi I really love. It nailed everything perfectly. And the fact it got cut so early means there was never a bad episode :D

Battlestar Galactica, its the West Wing in space. one of the best tv series ever.

It never quite clicked with me why I didn't think too much of Star Wars until I got a bit older - it's fantasy sci-fi and I'm not much into fantasy shtuff.

Princes, princesses, super villains and boy-heroes in the future in space? Na.

Star wars is starkly contrasted by Alien. The crew in Alien were just doing a job in space - ordinary people bringing home stuff and confronted with extra ordinary circumstances.

Alien still looks better than most modern sci-fi movies, the sets are still absolutely stunning looking, Prometheus better be amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

krudler wrote: »
    Alien still looks better than most modern sci-fi movies, the sets are still absolutely stunning looking, Prometheus better be amazing!

Can't disagree there. It's in my top 5 all time favorites. It's a work of art IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Never really got into it. Just find it really boring. Two lads that I know dress up in the star wars stuff now and again. They also have those light saber yokes.

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Can't disagree there. It's in my top 5 all time favorites. It's a work of art IMO.

I love how grimy everything looks, its not some super sparkly 2001 style reality, its just a big industrial ship with vents and steam and dripping water and general dankness outside of the living quarters. The Nostromo is as much of a character as the crew are. Same with Star Wars, its looks like a lived in universe, its why the prequels are so bland looking, everythings too shiny, only the scenes on Tatooine look "Star Warsy" the rest looks like a different franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Two lads that I know dress up in the star wars stuff now and again. They also have those light saber yokes.

My husband rescued some of his old Star Wars stuff from his mothers house a while ago, I came in to see it all set up on the living room floor and he was playing with it.

He is 37.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

mrs crilly wrote: »
    My husband rescued some of his old Star Wars stuff from his mothers house a while ago, I came in to see it all set up on the living room floor and he was playing with it.

He is 37.

My fella loves all that sh!te too. He has a Jedi bathrobe, the figures, a huge Star Wars encyclopedia and all the blu-rays. He is 32.

He's in the process of trying to get our 2 year old into it now as well - God help him!

I have a couple of original action figures, I'll keep them forever, my little Boba Fett figure smells like my childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Bambi wrote: »
    Star wars is for c**ts

Blakes 7 is all you need.
    I'm actually watching the third series of Blake's 7 at the minute. Avon FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Star wars is alright for a watch but once is enough for me. It's ok but nothing fantastic to me. I prefer trek, x files, firefly,even earth 2 had potential. Star wars isn't that different to some of those listed but it seemed less fluid and elegant to me. For Want of a better description.
    Never mind if I was in IT, I've met folks who think its weird I dont love star wars (as a sci fi nut)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    It tells an epic story without getting all preachy and moral/christian over it though,

Maybe it's the anarchist in me but I just can't buy into the empires and royals and super villains and blood lines in it. I appreciate that the special effects were fantastic for the time but the stories don't drag me in.

With Alien you have ordinary workers out transporting stuff across space - just doing their job and they're faced with this vicious alien and take it on. I think I can identify with the characters more easily in Alien - it's a masterpiece claustrophobic horror imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

One of the reasons why it holds up so well, and pretty much shames most modern science fiction movies...is because it was sets. Actually physical environments that the characters were in...not ****ing blue screen approximations like most modern stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭SteppingStone

Star Wars is a pile of s h i t...

Two weeks ago I bought the original trilogy on BluRay, this was the first time I had ever seen Star Wars (and I'm of that generation). It's good, and something you could watch again and again easily of a Sunday evening but they weren't the best movies I'd ever seen or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I'm also on the same page as people who are annoyed with George Lucas, I just think he's raping the legacy of star wars with these new blu rays stuff. I mean do we really need to see Christian Hayden inserted into Return of the Jedi just because he played Anakin. I feel sorry for the actor who played old Anakin, who got cut out of the ending because Lucas had to put young Anakin in instead. It's little things like that that get to me, but seriously Lucas is stupid for doing that.

What I really fuçking hate is the celebrations on Coruscant that have been jammed into the end of the latest version of Jedi. Fuçk off Lucas, anyone with half a brain can tell that the destruction of the 2nd Death Star and the death of the Emperor and Vader may have been the turning point of the rebellion but it sure as hell wasn't the end. I'm not even talking about the extended universe and Grand Admiral Thrawn, etc. Just a modicum of logic. The Rebellion threw nearly everything it had up against the Empire at Endor, getting back to Coruscant and restoring the Republic would not happen while Vader's funeral pyre is still burning.:mad:

Miny-bump is only going to be allowed watch Star Wars when we source a copy of the originals. And we will never tell him/her about the prequels.

It wasn't as good after Kirk left.

One of the reasons why it holds up so well, and pretty much shames most modern science fiction movies...is because it was sets. Actually physical environments that the characters were in...not ****ing blue screen approximations like most modern stuff.

Indeed, cgi envionments look too flat, same as Blade Runner, incredible production design on that

Anyone ever seen Return of the Ewok, a short fictional movie about how Warwick Davis got cast as Wicket in Jedi? It was made by David Tomblin (the 1st AD on Jedi) during breaks and days off. Most of the main cast of Star Wars have a small part in it. It's very cute.

It's up on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I can't stand star wars.
    They can build spaceships, yet they fight with dayglo sticks?? WTF is that about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Have you seen the Redletter Media Plinkett Star War's reviews. It really puts it into perspective on why episodes 1,2, and 3 suck. I've seen reviews more times then the movies. http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

How have I never seen these before? Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

I knew a guy who would get really angry if you told him you didn't like star wars :cool:

I can't stand star wars.
    They can build spaceships, yet they fight with dayglo sticks?? WTF is that about?

Its a beam of concentrated laser, the day lighsabers become a reality is the day life becomes awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

iguana wrote: »
    And we will never tell him/her about the prequels.
    What prequels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Star Wars is a pretty good fantasy/sci-fi setting if you just completely ignore the films*. That still leaves a tonne of history and stories that have not, as yet, been totally ruined by Lucas convincing himself against all available evidence that he's a talented, capable writer with many witty and novel ideas, and a particular skill in crafting romantic epics.

*Yes. All the films. Especially Jedi. Because f*ck Ewoks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I hate Star Wars. Almost as much as Lord of the Rings. And then there's Star Trek. That's just a new level of hate. People I work with put Clingon quotes on Facebook. F**k off you absolute loser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Apparently the movie of the decade is in production Star trek 2, only a year to wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Had a conversation with lots of friends over this matter, after it came up that one of them didn't like Star Wars. A girl's boyfriend also doesn't like Star Wars. Both had never watched the films when they were growing up, and watched them for the first time in their late teens/early twenties. Anyone else I happen to have talked to about this is pretty much the same. Maybe it's something you have to have watched when you were growing up.

And regarding the prequels, my nephews are huge Star Wars fans, and they absolutely love the prequels. They don't see any difference between the films. So maybe when they grow up (god forbid) the prequels will attain the cult status that the original films enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

zero19 wrote: »
    I've never seen an entire Star Wars film, not really my thing.

^^^ This

Haven't been able to sit through a whole film and it's all a bit too nerdy for me.

Not as shit as Star Trek but shit all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Indeed, cgi envionments look too flat, same as Blade Runner, incredible production design on that

Absolutely. Hell, i was rewatching the "Escape from..." movies the other night and much preferred the special effects work in that to stuff like Avatar. No idea why...maybe stuff just impresses me less when i know that none of it is real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Had a conversation with lots of friends over this matter, after it came up that one of them didn't like Star Wars. A girl's boyfriend also doesn't like Star Wars. Both had never watched the films when they were growing up, and watched them for the first time in their late teens/early twenties. Anyone else I happen to have talked to about this is pretty much the same. Maybe it's something you have to have watched when you were growing up.

And regarding the prequels, my nephews are huge Star Wars fans, and they absolutely love the prequels. They don't see any difference between the films. So maybe when they grow up (god forbid) the prequels will attain the cult status that the original films enjoy.

The prequels really suckered me, I kept going them thinking the next one has to be better, number 3 was the best but in no-way as good as the originals.

It was a case of to much effects they were like watching cartoons.

Absolutely. Hell, i was rewatching the "Escape from..." movies the other night and much preferred the special effects work in that to stuff like Avatar. No idea why...maybe stuff just impresses me less when i know that none of it is real.

yeah old effects have a charm that cgi doesnt, its why something with half models and matte paintings looks better than a flat cgi backdrop, cgi ages faster than older practical effects as well, looks at early 90s cgi and its woeful aside from stuff like T2 and Jurassic Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

44leto wrote: »
    The prequels really suckered me, I kept going them thinking the next one has to be better, number 3 was the best but in no-way as good as the originals.

It was a case of to much effects they were like watching cartoons.

Maybe that's why my nephews liked them so much. Yeah, I was the same with the prequels. I can't remember which one went into all the trade agreements crap, but sweet jesus, that was some boring sh*t.

yeah old effects have a charm that cgi doesnt, its why something with half models and matte paintings looks better than a flat cgi backdrop, cgi ages faster than older practical effects as well, looks at early 90s cgi and its woeful aside from stuff like T2 and Jurassic Park

This pic sums it up.

http://www.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/george-lucas-1983-2005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ^^^ This

Haven't been able to sit through a whole film and it's all a bit too nerdy for me.

Not as shit as Star Trek but shit all the same.

Too nerdy for you eh?
    http://www.boards.ie/search/?sort=newest&showmore=1&f=417&u=69985

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I love sci-fi but Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's pretty far from it. Space wizards and light sabers. It's space fantasy, and that isn't my cup of tea. Let alone the fact that the writing is worse than Twilight.
    It's sort of enjoyable pulp so I won't slate it entirely but I don't like people thinking that that is what sci-fi is.

Shryke wrote: »
    I love sci-fi but Star Wars isn't sci-fi. It's pretty far from it. Space wizards and light sabers. It's space fantasy, and that isn't my cup of tea. Let alone the fact that the writing is worse than Twilight.
    It's sort of enjoyable pulp so I won't slate it entirely but I don't like people thinking that that is what sci-fi is.

What about star trek? Would you class that as fantasy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I like SciFi but SW doesn't do it for me. Ep 4 isn't too bad. Ep 5 nothing much happens - my memory of it is Luke hanging around the forest trying to stand on his head, and okay, it had the big climax which was probably impressive if you saw it when it first came out, but the big reveal was not a surprise to me by the time I saw it. Ep 6 is just the same story as Ep 4 - another Death Star built, trying to destroy it again. I've not seen 1-3 and have no interest to but I can't imagine I'd like them much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Never particularly liked it, despite spending my childhood reading the likes of Asimov and Banks. I don't think scifi actually translates particularly well to the screen, largely because it dates visually so quickly - and because a lot of the stuff it trades in simply doesn't translate to the screen (Greg Egan being a glaring example). The only scifi I've really adored on the screen has been the newer Battlestar, which benefitted immeasurably from setting out right at the start that Galactica uses no computer tech complex enough to be hacked - the whole thing immediately looks battered and beat-up, and there's no sense of "how do they not have such-and-such technology?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Don't like Star Trek or Star Wars or any other sci-fi/space fantasy type stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't like Star Trek or Star Wars or any other sci-fi/space fantasy type stuff.

Says the person with one of the most sci fi sounding names on boards:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I adore Star Wars and have for as long as I can remember, my Dad had me watching them before I would walk.
    I can quote the films from heart and I read the books. Also my favourite game is KOTOR.

I love sci fi in general but Star Wars has a special place in my heart.

Edit: name may also indicate SW love

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Shryke wrote: »

Worse then Twillight? You have to be kidding right. I mean c'mon. Star Wars had a good story behind it and was fun to watch. Twillight had a terrible story and was boring as hell. Nothing in the world is worse then Twillight or any of those movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I love Sci-fi but cant stand Star Wars. Its always seemed to me like the imaginings of a hollywood film mogul whos only interest was getting bums on seats and seemed to have no basis in any kind of possible reality. Star Trek on the other hand always seemed like it had the science bit down and the whole political situation across the galaxy (our at least the little section of it that we inhabit) seemed like it was in some believable future. Star wars is very kid focused too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I can't stand star wars.

I never understood this either. It was probably explained away as some sort of honour thing or something magical. A sword shaped laser just seems retarded to me. Also, why was its length so restricted? A 100-meter sword could take out everyone if held out while spinning. Since the beam is weightless, it doesn't have the problems associated with making long swords.

My gorgeous girlfriend got me to watch the first one around a year ago. It was great to see the origins of all those quotes and memes but I thought that the story itself was a bit rubbish. If I was a kid watching it for the first time, I might have enjoyed it more but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement