Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who doesnt like star wars?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Shryke wrote: »
    Your makey upy back story doesn't fit though. As the basis for a different universe you could give that a go but not with SW. It doesn't gel.
    The SW universe has thousands of years behind it, no reason why the Justice Enforcement Division Investigators (known in the media like many police agencies as The Force) can't change into Jedi over time. :D
    Nor does it explain talking to/seeing ghosts. The only detectable difference in those with the force is some midichlorine rubbish?
    And Darth Vader was an immaculate conception by the force which was also the fulfillment of an ancient prophecy...
    Give me a challenge, willya. Autonomic viral personality dumps at the point of agent termination, broadcast to all friendlies in the area, keyed to offer subconscious advice at crucial moments. You never see anyone who wasn't a force user ghosting around do you. Obi Wan disintegrating? Automatic cellular level hyper dessication to prevent genetic material falling into the wrong hands. Even the special Jedi training at a certain age could be a prebuilt security measure to unlock the "powers" for the same reason. And prophecies can mean anything you want them to, just look at the shenanigans around Nostradamus.
    Light sabers and the rest are all pure fantasy. Making up your own explanations doesn't work when there are really stupid ones already given in the SW universe.
    I realise that Lucas released three other movies but I refuse to acknowledge they had anything to do with Star Wars.
    Noise in space, artistic license... I'm a bit meh on that one myself. It's the sheer magnitude of purely fantastical elements that make it fantasy rather than sci-fi. The only reason to call it sci-fi? It's in space. That's not really enough in my book. Not with space wizards. Was Space Balls a sci-fi? They're as ridiculous as each other.
    All basically possible, just not today. This is a problem with "hard" sci fi fans, they're trying to project 20th century scientific understanding tens of thousands of years into the future. It's like a medieval monk trying to imagine what sort of stuff we'd have in 2012.
    Nice to see a Transmet fan by the way. :)
    Spider is the man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    All basically possible, just not today. This is a problem with "hard" sci fi fans, they're trying to project 20th century scientific understanding tens of thousands of years into the future. It's like a medieval monk trying to imagine what sort of stuff we'd have in 2012.

That isn't remotely what I'm doing oh enlightened one! I'm calling much of SW outright tripe which it is. But you're ignoring Ep 1, 2 and 3, which is fairly handy, not to mention all of that expanded universe stuff. The problem there is that they are canon and turn everything you love to crap. :pac:

Without the benefit of selective memory I have to call it for what it is so we'll have to disagree.
    Spider is the man.

Indeed.

That isn't remotely what I'm doing oh enlightened one! I'm calling much of SW outright tripe which it is.
    Tripe that stands at number two in the all-time list of inflation adjusted films released in the US, which would put you fairly in the minority I'm afraid. :D
    But you're ignoring Ep 1, 2 and 3, which is fairly handy, not to mention all of that expanded universe stuff. The problem there is that they are canon and turn everything you love to crap. :pac:
    Midichlorians fit even better into the narrative I've built up over the last hour. I just don't think the look, feel, or gist of the prequels merges in any way with the original movies. They are to all intents and purposes different films, other than the branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Star wars is just tattoo'd onto my soul since childhood, nothing for it except to love it.

Though I cringed my way through the new ones it didn't effect my views on the originals, or my general love of the extended universe.

Knights of the Old Republic is also probably the best game ever made in my opinion, and I really enjoy the Clone Wars cartoon on Cartoon Network.

I'm waiting patiently for a half a year or so before I jump into the new MMO because I hate release hassle in games I pay monthly to use.

I didn't like Avatar much.

Oh I love Star Trek too, never got why there's a nerd rage between the fans of each.

I also like Real Scifi, though, like the Andromeda Strain.

Tripe that stands at number two in the all-time list of inflation adjusted films released in the US, which would put you fairly in the minority I'm afraid. :D

Midichlorians fit even better into the narrative I've built up over the last hour. I just don't think the look, feel, or gist of the prequels merges in any way with the original movies. They are to all intents and purposes different films, other than the branding.

I wouldn't put much faith in figures. They're very often a poor reflection of quality. I'll hold my own opinion, minority or not.

I agree about the prequels. They are a total mess, but not different films. Just really awful official prequels from the original creator of SW. They were coming a long time. He called the original trilogy 4, 5 and 6.

The idea of advanced biotic genetic engineering along with precognition and all the rest requires actual evidence of such. Not to mention support systems, back ups, data banks... Too many detectable things and measurable biological differences to be ignored. But there is nothing. Nothing but midichlorians. Magic space blood. That doesn't work.
    Viral personality dumps need transmitting or interception. Broadcasting. All of the Jedi processes would be detectable in some form, but instead it's space magic.

You're stretching way too far when in reality SW is just pulp that was made with kids in mind as the audience.

• Advertisement

The idea of advanced biotic genetic engineering along with precognition and all the rest requires actual evidence of such. Not to mention support systems, back ups, data banks... Too many detectable things and measurable biological differences to be ignored. But there is nothing. Nothing but midichlorians. Magic space blood. That doesn't work.
    Viral personality dumps need transmitting or interception. Broadcasting. All of the Jedi processes would be detectable in some form, but instead it's space magic.
    I don't see where in the SW movies any Jedi is put under extensive laboratory testing while being executed. As for the rest, read back over the posts and ponder without inserting your own narrative.
    You're stretching way too far when in reality SW is just pulp that was made with kids in mind as the audience.
    Sure, but that's not the point. The point is you can't just sneer at it as "tripe" from a hard sci-fi perspective when reasonably hard sci-fi excuses can be arrived at for most of it.

This nerd fight is over, and I declare myself the winner.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

RichieC wrote: »
    Oh I love Star Trek too, never got why there's a nerd rage between the fans of each.

I wouldnt say I'm a Star Trek fan but I'd have seen enough the various series and movies over the years to not dislike it either, I know fanboys hated it but the last movie was absolutely brilliant, I enjoyed that far more than any of the Star Wars prequels. I dont get the you can't like both thing either, course you can, they're two completely different entities.

I don't see where in the SW movies any Jedi is put under extensive laboratory testing while being executed. As for the rest, read back over the posts and ponder without inserting your own narrative.

Sure, but that's not the point. The point is you can't just sneer at it as "tripe" from a hard sci-fi perspective when reasonably hard sci-fi excuses can be arrived at for most of it.

This nerd fight is over, and I declare myself the winner.

:cool:

You can derive a ridiculous amount of high tech drivel from the force in defense of it being completely BS but you can't see the gaping hole in reasoning as to why absolutely none of the ideas you spout are ever alluded to. It's because it's just the force. Space magic.

You can find reasonably hard sci-fi reasons for a lot of things found in any fantasy novel, or even for anything in the Bible. It doesn't mean everything is secretly sci-fi.

I'm not sneering. It isn't science and it isn't meant to be. And in that way it is tripe, not that I think they're bad films.

I'm not a SW fan so arguing about it feels silly. Congratulations on winning anyway. I was rooting for you. You've got spunk...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Fizman wrote: »
    Where I was coming from was if you spoke to the average Joe, and asked him to mention the very first film/show/actor that comes to his head when you mention the term 'sci-fi', there is a very good chance he will mention Star Wars (imo). Regarding that genre, it could be seen as the flagship show. It almost defined sci-fi for the best part of a quarter of a century.

I can see what you're saying, but wouldn't Star Trek pre-date it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Star wars is a space fantasy, hardly science fiction.. :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement