Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft work experience?

• 02-04-2012 2:13pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16

I've heard that it's possible to get work experience in Microsoft for TY? Just wondering if anyone knows more about it. I'm still a while off TY but just thought I'd give a bit of notice seen as it's Microsoft and it might be hard to get it.

Anyone know where to start on looking for this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

I've heard that it's possible to get work experience in Microsoft for TY? Just wondering if anyone knows more about it. I'm still a while off TY but just thought I'd give a bit of notice seen as it's Microsoft and it might be hard to get it.

Anyone know where to start on looking for this?

I got the placement for this year and went there in February.

They only start the process in late August, but fair play to you for looking around early :D

I sent out emails to a bunch of microsoft emails (info, HR etc.) and left a message on their HR Manager's answering machine And one day they called me back. It wasn't HR that called me back but I don't remember giving my phone number in my emails :eek:

So you could do some of that in August aha :)(read last line of post)
    Hi there,

Thank you for your interest in the Microsoft Ireland Transition Year Program.

We are delighted to announce that the application process is now open.
    We will be accepting applications from August 24th to September 16th 2011. First offers will be sent on Sept 19th and must be accepted no later than Sept 30th.

Please submit your application to- <snip> :)

The way it works is: You send them an e-mail with with your details, CV and a cover letter explaining why you want the placement
    Our program has been running for five years now and has become hugely popular. We receive over 600+ applications each year and in order to ensure that we capture the right set of students we invite you to send us a cover letter explaining why you think Microsoft would be right for you. This should accompany your CV and don’t forget to include your name, date of birth, contact information and school name.

And they'll email back in a few days if you got it

It was a great week, best work experience I did and I learned lots. The week they gave me was my February mid term week :( But it was still very much worth it.

I don't suggest you just e-mail the application website with your letter without knowing when they start taking applications (Hence why I snipped it :p). I have the e-mail and telephone number of the person who runs it, she'll tell you what to do. I don't want to give it out here, Pm me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eccared

I am also trying to find out about TY experience at MS, and how the process works and the dates. If I PM you could you please send me the contact details?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JasmineLynam

hey im also looking for working experience and yes i do know this is an old post but would you be able to send me their info? text back or jasminelynam@yahoo.com thanks !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

hey im also looking for working experience and yes i do know this is an old post but would you be able to send me their info? text back or jasminelynam@yahoo.com thanks !!!!
    This is an old thread.

About 800 students apply for work experince in Microsoft per year. About 70 get accepted from the pool. Your junior cert results are taken into account, so someone who got an A in science/maths etc has a better chance to get in than a person who hasn't got an A in science/maths. However, there are other ways to get the work experince (through competitions).

The best way to get work experince is to head to their office in Dublin and ask, fill in a form, maybe do an interview and then wait for a response.

If you're going to apply, wait till you get your JC results first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭mobydopy

I know this thread is kinda old but just wondering when do you have to apply for work experience in Microsoft. Do you have to do it through the school or by yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I know this thread is kinda old but just wondering when do you have to apply for work experience in Microsoft. Do you have to do it through the school or by yourself

Microsoft don't offer work experience anymore.

Advertisement