Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardcore required for small gravel area?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭

I have small space, approx 15ft square that I want to gravel and then use for a washing line and a small argos metal shed (6ft long by 4ft wide) for the kids bikes. (The main shed will be elsewhere) I'll also put a couple of small high raised beds on it, just 3ft sq

As this is all grass at the moment, do I need to hardcore it or will a good membrane and thick covering of gravel do?

I will put some slabs under the shed and some paving stones leading upto it and the line so you dont sink in the gravel

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It depends how well drained it is.
    You would get away without digging and hardcore as traffic will be all foot.

In our last house I just edged with railway sleepers, lined the ground with builders polythene and laid "3/4 inch down" onto it. Was very successful.

If you could get the shed up on blocks it would be better to circulate air under the floor and prevent rot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I have small space, approx 15ft square that I want to gravel and then use for a washing line and a small argos metal shed (6ft long by 4ft wide) for the kids bikes. (The main shed will be elsewhere) I'll also put a couple of small high raised beds on it, just 3ft sq

As this is all grass at the moment, do I need to hardcore it or will a good membrane and thick covering of gravel do?

I will put some slabs under the shed and some paving stones leading upto it and the line so you dont sink in the gravel

thanks

A few pics of a similar garden space with the same situation as yourself.:)

Raised sleeper beds constructed from old reclaimed railway sleepers.Bit of 804 hardcore put down,whacker plate hired out for an hour,bit of Mypex weed membrane,some sharp sand and pea shingle/gravel.

8 x 4 foot Ketter plastic apex shed with its own plastic base,used for gardening tools and some bikes.All I did though,was take the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

thats so damm good!

Problem with digging out, is getting rid of what you dig out!

Did you get around this by suing the soil in the raised beds or just hiring a skip?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

thats so damm good!

Problem with digging out, is getting rid of what you dig out!

Did you get around this by suing the soil in the raised beds or just hiring a skip?

An industrial concrete breaker and midi-skip was used to remove the old path and the numerous large lumps of hardcore boulders/rock below the old concrete path.

A large Concrete Breaker can be hired out for a day from a plant hire shop for 35 euro a day.Get it on a Friday,and you get to keep it al weekend long,but you only pay for the Friday.

Upturned some of the grass sods and then some of these sods,and the existing top soil for some back fill.

Some of the dug up soil was also used to make up the raised/stepped back part of the garden.

A reclaimed railway sleeper that was left over,was used to create the step up to the new raised area.This sleeper was leveled off and then staked down into the ground with pressure treated 3 x 2 stakes and then screwed in with 100mm stainless steel screws.

2 different levels in a small garden allways give a bigger sense of space.:)

Then to complete the raised beds,a mix of fresh screened topsoil,farmyard manure,compost,horticultural grit and fertiliser pellets.

I didnt do any of the work,I only took the pictures.

Advertisement