Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot water cylinder upgrade

• 02-04-2012 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all,

I'm looking for replacement to my old hot water cylinder that is small (about 1 m in height) and doesn't have a pump.

Does anybody could recommend any supplier and installers to me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Probably just as cheap these days to go for a stainless steel cylinder with the way copper prices are gone , i can't give you suppliers names as you didn't give a location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Agree with sullzz. There is a great stainless steel cylinder on the market made by Gledhill. The agents for them are Precision Heating and are based in Ballycoolin. If you rang them they could give you a list of stockists and installers. It is called the enviro foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Redwid

Thanks Lads, going to check prices with precisionheating.

I'm in Lucan area.

Just be mindful. The installer will get it cheaper for you as percision dont give discounts to the public. They are giving a free immersion with the cylinder at the mo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

The gledhill cylinders are good, just beware they are not suitable for use with gravity/ solid fuel systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Selfbuilderx

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if Joule cylinders are any good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Hi,
    Can anyone tell me if Joule cylinders are any good.

Yes, excellent quality. Both copper and stainless steel are extremely good quality, especially the ss range. I use them a lot.

Thanks Shane,
    I'm looking at the 250L twin coil cyclone solar ss one.

I have installed that one numerous times. Very good cylinder. You won't be disappointed. It has lots of temperature sockets to give you plenty of location choices. You will only lose about 5-6C over a 24 hour period.

Thanks again Shane,
    Do you have any idea of the price of the one i'm looking at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

shane0007 wrote: »
    I have installed that one numerous times. Very good cylinder. You won't be disappointed. It has lots of temperature sockets to give you plenty of location choices. You will only lose about 5-6C over a 24 hour period.

how would that compare to a stanard insulated copper cylinder???as far as temp drop

Not sure what you will be quoted but I get a fairly good deal on them because of the amount I purchase. That particular one, I pay, I think, €550 + vat. You maybe quoted circa €630 €650 + vat. This is for the vented version without the pressure kit. Add about €100 odd + vat for the pressure kit if you are going that route.

Shane'
    That sound good to me, Thanks alot for your help.

anthonyos wrote: »
    how would that compare to a stanard insulated copper cylinder???as far as temp drop

It depends upon the thickness and the consistency of the thickness of the spray foam insulation, but basically approx loss of 30C over same period. You heat the cylinder and tomorrow the water is fairly cold/Luke warm.

How so, you may ask, well basically, copper is a natural conductor of heat. It will heat itself and in that it will take heat from the water within it in doing so.
    Stainless steel, on the other hand, is not as natural a heat conductor as copper and doesn't take as much heat from the water within it.
    Secondly, they are, more so, within what I call a fridge finish plastic moulding and therefore the insulation is of a more consistent thickness. Copper cylinders are generally found to have very varied thicknesses around the same cylinder, especially from certain manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

mm we have a large ss solar cylinder in the parents house. from water heated night before i used to wash the van at 6 or 7 the next night and it`d be proper hot. very little loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

Just dont fit a stainless steel cylinder on a well supply, it would invalidate the warranty.
    Stainless steel = water mains
    Copper = well supply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭TPM

kscobie wrote: »
    Just dont fit a stainless steel cylinder on a well supply, it would invalidate the warranty.
    Copper = well supply.

You are only suppose to use grade 3 copper on mains(treated) supply.

Even if fitting a stainless steel cylinder on a well supply does invalidate the warranty, it is better than fitting a copper one which wont last near as long anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭kscobie

I use a 2 bar copper cylinder on a well, either a Joule or Grant, never had a problem:)

Copper = well supply.

That is not true. If the water conditions meet the parameters of the manufacturer warranty levels, the warranty is still valid for stainless steel.

I am involved in a case at the moment, where the the homeowner has had two failed stainless steel cylinders in 4 years. I requested a water test and it was found that the water treatment installation company set the salt level too high and the number of back washes too frequent. This lead to over 280 of sodium which ate the stainless steel welds in the cylinder.
    On discussing with Joule, they stated if the cylinder is within their specified parameters, the cylinder has a 25 year warranty.

Always check the small print of a manufacturer's warranty conditions and I know of none that specify your statement in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭jimjimt

The reason you are not suppose to fit a stainless steel cylinder to a well supply is got to do with oxygen levels.

Some wells the water is lacking oxygen and decays the cylinder. Hence the need for a proper water testing.
    So manufactures are starting to put it in there TOC's.

Osmosis treated water will eat through stainless steel also.

knock on wood I never had a problem with a stainless steel cylinder so far from any brand.

Health services and the like are going back to copper cylinders for its natural anti bacterial properties.
    I requested a water test and it was found that the water treatment installation company set the salt level too high and the number of back washes too frequent. This lead to over 280 of sodium which ate the stainless steel welds in the cylinder.

Just curious did the high levels of salt affect any copper in any way ?

• Advertisement

Copper = well supply.

Apologies, kscobie, you are absolutely correct and I am wrong. I just pulled out the warranty and it does state warranty is only valid when fed from public mains water supply.
    They told me verbally that they would cover this clients new cylinder if the following chemical criteria was met:

TDS <600mg/L
    TOTAL HARDNESS <200mg/L
    CHLORIDE <300mg/L
    MAGNESIUM <10mg/L
    PH Between 6.5 & 9.5
    CALCIUM <20mg/L
    SODIUM <150mg/L
    IRON <1mg/L

jimjimt wrote: »
    Just curious did the high levels of salt affect any copper in any way ?

No, no other damage other than to the welds within the stainless steel cylinder.
    BTW, I did not install any of the previous cylinders. I am just taking over the installation. The previous installer also put solid fuel into the pressurised cylinder. Hmmm.... Boom Boom

No, no other damage other than to the welds within the stainless steel cylinder.
    BTW, I did not install any of the previous cylinders. I am just taking over the installation. The previous installer also put solid fuel into the pressurised cylinder. Hmmm.... Boom Boom

Wrong rods or bad quality welds?

Surely fine if a pressure and temp blowoff fitted?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Wrong rods or bad quality welds?

What, 2 cylinders in 4 years. Last one lasted 18 months.
    Tests showed very high sodium. It only had <20mg/L before the filter and 280mg/L after the filter. The salt ate the welds.

I don't think you understand the principles and associated dangers of a pressurised cylinder and uncontrollable heat sources.
    A brief outline:
    Atmospheric pressure conditions, water boils at 100C.
    1 bar pressure, water boils at 122C
    2 bar pressure, water boils at 144C
    3 bar pressure, water boils at 178C
    Pressurised cylinders have pressure reducing valves set to 3 bar.
    1 litre of water when boiled produces 1,600 litres of steam.
    Let's say solid fuel boils the cylinder at 100C. No problem so far as the cylinder is at 3 bar pressure so it's boiling point is 178C.
    Householder opens a tap, this brings the cylinder pressure back to at atmospheric pressure and therefore the boiling point is now back to 100C.
    Lets say the cylinder is a 300L cylinder. That means that 300 x 1,600 = 480,000 litres of steam will now try to escape through an opened tap.
    Boom boom, your house has just been relocated!

It is why you should be certified to install one.

Nope;)

What, 2 cylinders in 4 years. Last one lasted 18 months.
    Tests showed very high sodium. It only had <20mg/L before the filter and 280mg/L after the filter. The salt ate the welds.

I don't think you understand the principles and associated dangers of a pressurised cylinder and uncontrollable heat sources.
    A brief outline:
    Atmospheric pressure conditions, water boils at 100C.
    1 bar pressure, water boils at 122C
    2 bar pressure, water boils at 144C
    3 bar pressure, water boils at 178C
    Pressurised cylinders have pressure reducing valves set to 3 bar.
    1 litre of water when boiled produces 1,600 litres of steam.
    Let's say solid fuel boils the cylinder at 100C. No problem so far as the cylinder is at 3 bar pressure so it's boiling point is 178C.
    Householder opens a tap, this brings the cylinder pressure back to at atmospheric pressure and therefore the boiling point is now back to 100C.
    Lets say the cylinder is a 300L cylinder. That means that 300 x 1,600 = 480,000 litres of steam will now try to escape through an opened tap.
    Boom boom, your house has just been relocated!

It is why you should be certified to install one.

3 1/2bar and the cylinder when hot can be sitting at 5bar and let's not forget it's not unusual to see the 6 bar dripping and if it's capped (common) then the 7 bar dripping.

As a cylinders manufactures tech I get to see a lot of install and it's not funny:( just for anyone interested the only plastic pipe that can be used with these cylinders on the discharge is white with a red line going through it, the rest might aswell be paper.

Stainless steel and well water tends not to work, the word on the street is glass lined fairs better, but it's all dependent on the well water.

But why only the welds and not the material of the cylinder, points to a quality issue, a proper weld should be as strong as the metal itself.

I'm quite aware but with a pressure/temp relief valve it never gets to boiling at 178 degrees, it vents at about 80 degrees

Also if a stove is at 100 degrees it's boiling, being a open system, unless you mean there pressurised a stove?

And if a stove is boiling you'll know something is wrong. You can't have a situation where you end up with massively higher than 100 degrees in the cylinder.

I am not going to get into another argument with you, nor am I going to try to educate you.
    Read back my post and you will realise that the solid fuel does not need to get to 178C. It only needs to get it to 100C.
    Have you never seen an installation where a plonker has blanked the ovsp to stop it pitching? Billy Bunting can post a picture of a recent one he came across. All it would take is a mouse to fall into the f & e tank and block the f & e pipe. Light a fire and you have a problem. Even without those scenarios, have you never seen a solid boil over the ovsp into the f & e tank and producing steam!

You can't have a situation where you end up with massively higher than 100 degrees in the cylinder.

it's dangerious to never say never, it has happened and can happen and every cylinder installation should be approached as it could happen, paranoia is a beautiful thing.

It's always the welds, I'm told by cleverer people than myself that's it's to do with electrolysis.

• Advertisement

To get 178 degrees in the cylinder you need to get 178 degrees in the coil. You can't get more heat than you put in

It's not possible in a open vented stove to get 178 degrees water temperature.

And besides if the temperature goes over about 90 degrees the pressure/temperature relief will vent hot water,

gary71 wrote: »
    it's dangerious to never say never, it has happened and can happen and every cylinder installation should be approached as it could happen, paranoia is a beautiful thing.

It's always the welds, I'm told by cleverer people than myself that's it's to do with electrolysis.

You could equally say a gas boiler is unsafe, if you have a PCB glitch or stats fail it could be unregulated sealed system capable of boiling to steam.

To get 178 degrees in the cylinder you need to get 178 degrees in the coil. You can't get more heat than you put in

It's not possible in a open vented stove to get 178 degrees water temperature.

And besides if the temperature goes over about 90 degrees the pressure/temperature relief will vent hot water,

If you get a opportunity go on a G3 course in the North, it's a safety course you must go on just to fit or work on unvented in the UK, every cylinder is inspected by the local building inspector on installation, this is because of the real danger unvented poses when fitted by installer that don't get it.

You have missed the whole point.
    Forget 178C. The solid fuel gets to 100C. The cylinder is now at 100C, ok? No problem there as at 3 bar pressure the cylinder will not convert to steam as its boiling point is 178C at that pressure. With every bar of pressure you get a direct increase in temperature free of charge. You must have missed the Boyle's Law lesson in school!
    Now you have a higher temperature within the cylinder as it is under pressure. Still no problem as the boiling point is still at 178C.
    Tap opens. Now the pressure within the cylinder is brought back to atmospheric pressure, i.e. 0 bar pressure. Boiling point is now back to 100C and therefore the 300 litres of water will convert to steam as it is now suddenly at the reduced boiling point of 100C. The enormous volume of steam has to convert to somewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ekEHfihiNz4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DekEHfihiNz4

If you get a opportunity go on a G3 course in the North, it's a safety course you must go on just to fit or work on unvented in the UK, every cylinder is inspected by the local building inspector on installation, this is because of the real danger unvented poses when fitted by installer that don't get it.

It is also run in Metac, Mountrath, Co. Laois.

Can you tell me how you get more than, 100 degrees in the cylinder.

Even if the stove boils that's 100 degrees. At atmospheric pressure it can't exceed 100 anything after that is a increase in latent heat not temperature.

Even that's ignoring the tempature relief to keep it below 90 degrees

• Advertisement

You could equally say a gas boiler is unsafe, if you have a PCB glitch or stats fail it could be unregulated sealed system capable of boiling to steam.

You could, but I won't, let's instead talk about the 3 bar blow off and the overheats and low water content heat exchangers now that would be sensible chit chat, have you seen superheated steam leave a unvented cylinder:eek: puts manors on you, did me, gas boilers and unvented are not for the same conversation.

Even if the stove boils that's 100 degrees. At atmospheric pressure it can't exceed 100 anything after that is a increase in latent heat not temperature.

Even that's ignoring the tempature relief to keep it below 90 degrees

I honestly don't know where to start, go on a course, unvented is serious and it shouldn't be left for a Internet site to give you the information you need to work safely.

You have missed the whole point.
    Forget 178C. The solid fuel gets to 100C. The cylinder is now at 100C, ok? No problem there as at 3 bar pressure the cylinder will not convert to steam as its boiling point is 178C at that pressure. With every bar of pressure you get a direct increase in temperature free of charge. You must have missed the Boyle's Law lesson in school!
    Now you have a higher temperature within the cylinder as it is under pressure. Still no problem as the boiling point is still at 178C.
    Tap opens. Now the pressure within the cylinder is brought back to atmospheric pressure, i.e. 0 bar pressure. Boiling point is now back to 100C and therefore the 300 litres of water will convert to steam as it is now suddenly at the reduced boiling point of 100C. The enormous volume of steam has to convert to somewhere.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ekEHfihiNz4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DekEHfihiNz4

They kept heating the tank with flame, huge heat. a coil at 100 degrees won't do that

You can't get free heat, energy can't be created or destroyed only transfered. Compress water at 100 degrees and you can compress it all you want but it's still water at 100 degrees. It doesn't rise in temperature.
    You could, but I won't, let's instead talk about the 3 bar blow off and the overheats and low water content heat exchangers now that would be sensible chit chat, have you seen superheated steam leave a unvented cylinder:eek: puts manors on you, did me, gas boilers and unvented are not for the same conversation.

Mm and what about a pressure/temperature relief valve. It can't rise over the set pressure or temperature.

You are still not reading my post!
    With every bar of pressure you get a direct increase in temperature free of charge. You must have missed the Boyle's Law lesson in school!

I should get paid for this! Look it up, Boyle's Law, that is.....

I honestly don't know where to start, go on a course, unvented is serious and it shouldn't be left for a Internet site to give you the information you need to work safely.

So can you explain how you can get over 100 degree when your heat source can't go over 100 degrees.

You can't it defys physics.

If it can't get over 100 degrees it won't turn to steam out the taps.

And all this is still ignoring a pressure/temperature relief that will keep temperature below 90 degrees.

• Advertisement

You can't get free heat, energy can't be created or destroyed only transfered. Compress water at 100 degrees and you can compress it all you want but it's still water at 100 degrees. It doesn't rise in temperature.

You can.

Mm and what about a pressure/temperature relief valve. It can't rise over the set pressure or temperature.

They can fail, they can stick and oh yeah, Fruitloops can blank them, which is more often the case!

It could possibly be a given that you or me do not know how a man landed on the moon, it also defied physics but a man did land there.

Boyle's Law is basic secondary school physics. If you cannot understand this principle, it is really not my place to continue this as it is going nowhere. Perhaps this information should be kept in a far far place and the moral of the storey is, anybody not understanding the principles of unvented cylinder installations should really leave them to persons who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 jimstir

Hi Guys, I just got my copper cylinder replaced. I'm wondering what to do with the old one. Does anyone know a legitimate place in Limerick or Galway that I can bring it to get a few bob for it? It's a standard one from the 1980s about 1m high. Anyone have a rough idea what it's worth?

You are still not reading my post!

I should get paid for this! Look it up, Boyle's Law, that is.....

Increase the temperature and you get a increase in volume and pressure.

You increase the volume of the cylinder your not increasing the pressure (expansion vessel) so you won't a increase of heat. You need to increase of both to get heat. And small amounts at that

Besides all this my point of it being safe is based on a pressure/temperature relief valve keeping temperature below 90 degrees. If temperature stays below 90 degrees its just a very hot tap. It can't go to steam.

So can you explain how you can get over 100 degree when your heat source can't go over 100 degrees.

If it can't get over 100 degrees it won't turn to steam out the taps.

And all this is still ignoring a pressure/temperature relief that will keep temperature below 90 degrees.

I work for a manufacture of unvented cylinders, it's me that goes out across this country to inspect, identify and repair, even a slow learner like me is going to pick up a bit over 10 years plus I have my G3 which I resit every 5 years so I get it, you don't, seriously, if you are working on unvented cylinders do a course.

A couple of years ago I went to a call where the T/P was not fitted and a cap was in its place, so when I see a question like " your ignoring the T/P valve" i have a little chuckle cos in all honesty it's not me forgetting I'm worried about, it's the bloody installer forgetting I'm worried about

You can.

They can fail, they can stick and oh yeah, Fruitloops can blank them, which is more often the case!

Fail yes but usually get weaker, ie less temperature or less pressure.

And fruitloops can do a lot to make things dangerous, they could blank the feed and expansion on the stove making it pressurised, are you accountable to that

I work for a manufacture of unvented cylinders, it's me that goes out across this country to inspect, identify and repair, even a slow learner like me is going to pick up a bit over 10 years plus I have my G3 which I resit every 5 years so I get it, you don't, seriously, if you are working on unvented cylinders do a course.

A couple of years ago I went to a call where the T/P was not fitted and a cap was in its place, so when I see a question like " your ignoring the T/P valve" i have a little chuckle cos in all honesty it's not me forgetting I'm worried about, it's the bloody installer forgetting I'm worried about

You say one fitted with a t/p is dangerous because someone might forget to fit one.

I agree one without one is dangerous. No arguments there. My point is with one fitted it makes it safe.

Besides all this my point of it being safe is based on a pressure/temperature relief valve keeping temperature below 90 degrees. If temperature stays below 90 degrees its just a very hot tap. It can't go to steam.

The manufactures who make the cylinder belive there can be a problem with steam and expect the discharge pipe to be designed specifically for safety , then the fact every single unvented installation in the UK has to be inspected before it can be used and every installer must prove he understands the dangers by passing a safety exam before dealing with unvented cylinders, all of that then there's you who says it can't happen, you could be right but I'm going to keep sticking to the MI thank you:D.

Another simple thread that was started by someone with a simple question is dragged into the gutter.

What is this forum coming to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Another simple thread that was started by someone with a simple question is dragged into the gutter.

What is this forum coming to.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement