Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot water cylinder upgrade

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Dardania wrote: »
    One idea that occured to me was: in Britian is it possibly the norm to have higher incoming mains water pressure to cylinders, possibly lending to pressure problems as discussed? I had seen around the internet that their mains could be 2 to 4 bar, now I don't know if they typically have that in an attic storage tank, or if it goes directly to the calorifier...

It also does not have to be mains fed. It could be pumped, such as very common in stand alone houses, well pump pumps to potable 300 gallon tank, then this is pumped into house with a 4 bar pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭gifted

shane0007 wrote: »
    Ah, that it did, but is this type of thread not what Boards is all about?

The original question was answered and a more entertainment factor was thrown in. After all, Gifted would be very disappointed if the thread was had not been extended! In fact, he may even stop logging in!

No chance of that Shane...not while one of the main stars like yourself is entertaining me...:D

now where's me popcorn..

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

I've just got a new hot water cylinder installed (stainless steel / Joule).
    I does not require a water tank above (unlike the old one).

What I have noticed is that whenever I use hot water, it comes out white & bubbly (like soda water) --> the white colour & the bubbles disappear after 1-2 minutes.
    Do you know what causes this? Is it the new cylinder & is it because it's new?
    I've found some contradicting info online - some people say it's because of 'hard water' others claim they have the same with 'soft water'.
    If it had sth to do with 'hard/soft water ' or lime should be the same for hot & cold...

Cold water (which bypasses the cylinder) comes out transparent - no issues here.

Anyone with the same problem?
    Any ideas/suggestions?

Here I've found some reasonable explanation:
    White water is caused by:
    - Air in the water (doesn't explain why it only appears in hot tap).
    - Some plumbing work done (this is my case - let's see if it changes in the next few weeks).

http://www.cbnbh2o.com/tips/milky.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Your hot water is now pressurized where it wasn't before. It is airation of the water due to higher pressure being pushed through smaller openings. It is perfectly harmless.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Your hot water is now pressurized where it wasn't before. It is airation of the water due to higher pressure being pushed through smaller openings. It is perfectly harmless.

Thanks, but why would it only happen with the hot water?
    I have the same pressure in both hot & cold taps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

greep wrote: »
    Thanks, but why would it only happen with the hot water?
    I have the same pressure in both hot & cold taps...

The water has to push through a pressure reducing valve where it doesn't on the cold.

You might find it will settle down in a while.
    The same thing happens with combi boilers.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    The water has to push through a pressure reducing valve where it doesn't on the cold.

You might find it will settle down in a while.
    The same thing happens with combi boilers.

Thanks Johnnie

As you seem to know the stuff, would you mind having a look at my other thread? Thank you!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88793332#post88793332

Advertisement