Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creche & cows milk

Options
  • 02-04-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all, i have a 14 month old and i haven't yet switched her to cows milk as she is happy enough on the formula (cow&gate 1+) Despite being nagged by every relation i have that i should move her, i've decided not to just yet.
    i told the woman in the creche the same thing when she asked me, but in the last 2 weeks when emptying her bag after the creche they had cows milk in her bottle and she has a touch of diorrhea since then.
    I mentioned it to her and she first insisted that my daughter should be on cows milk by now as making up formula is a hassle. I insisted she be kept on formula and the woman said ok.
    Since this conversation she's come home with cows milk again, twice.
    It seems that no matter what i say the creche will just do what they want anyway as they think i won't notice.
    any ideas on how to approach this? i don't want to move her out of this creche as it's the only one on my way to work for miles and my daughter seems happy there otherwise.
    Why does everyone assume they know better than me and how do i get them to butt out!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

How odd. Why does it matter to the creche what kind of milk it is?

I send my daughter in with formula in her bottles for their fridge. She is 13 months old. I give her cows milk in her beaker at home normally, but it's still formula at creche just because she isn't great with the beaker yet and it goes all over the place.

How can they even tell what kind of milk is in the bottle?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would be very unhappy.
    The creche should not be putting anything in her botlle,you should be sending pre made bottles unless they have a person dedicated to making bottles
    They usually give sippy cups for drinks in between but no a bottle.

Do they make bottles there?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭XarcherX

well I used to send her there with pre-made bottles when she first started at 6 months old but the owner asked me to just give her the box of formula and they'd make up the bottles there as they have a policy about freshly made bottles.
    This has always worked out fine and she would tell me when she was running out and i'd supply her with a new box.
    Now tho, she hasn't asked me for a new box in weeks so she's obviously not using her formula at all.
    She did tell me before that she moved all 3 of her own kids onto cows milk the minute they hit 10 months as she hated the hassle of making up formula... which is fine for her, that's her decision but i guess now she has decided that MY daughter needs to progress to cows milk as well.
    How do i broach this with her? i really don't want to argue with her over something like this but it's annoying me.. i've said it to her twice already but she continues doing things her own way.
    aahh

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

Your the parent of the child NOT them...
    I would be very annoyed if my child minder went against my wishes on what i want for my child.. After all your paying them for a service and they should respect your wishes!! Simple as!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would be furious if I were you OP. It is completely your decision what milk to give your child and no concern of the creche worker. I would be speaking to the owner of the creche and telling them explicitly that if they don't follow your wish for your child you will pull her from the setting and inform the other parents why too.

My daughter is 16 months and only properly on cows milk for the last 6 weeks or so because it wasn't agreeing with her, giving her an upset tummy and diarrhoea. Thankfully she is fine with it now but the point being you should do what is best for your child individually. All kids are not the same and react to these things differently, some take longer than others to be ready for cows milk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I would be very unhappy.
    The creche should not be putting anything in her botlle,you should be sending pre made bottles unless they have a person dedicated to making bottles
    I would too. Although the HSE advice talks about making feeds up fresh yourself you are supposed to provide made up bottles of formula to the creche.
    Lola92 wrote: »
    My daughter is 16 months and only properly on cows milk for the last 6 weeks or so because it wasn't agreeing with her, giving her an upset tummy and diarrhoea. Thankfully she is fine with it now but the point being you should do what is best for your child individually. All kids are not the same and react to these things differently, some take longer than others to be ready for cows milk!
    Likewise my son is 15 months and when we switched over to cow's milk his skin got really dry so he's back on formula for now.

OP, I presume you've been continuing to provide her with boxes of formula. What is she doing with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Our creche always made up our bottles. I think we actually left the bottles there (and the box of formula), they sterilised them etc and they prepared them.

As for them going against your wishes, that's completely out of order. Whatever dietry requirements you have for your child they should be following them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some creches have a dedicated room and a dedicated person to make bottles.This person usually wears the white coat and hair net etc.
    I would take my child out and report them to the HSE and NCNA.
    You are the parent,you are in charge if they do not fulfill your wishes then you can not trust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

that really is odd, my creche never had an issue with what ever milk i sent in. i gave bottles of water and formula or cows milk, they even called one day because i hadnt specified whether the baby could have chocolate for christmas...

Advertisement