Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How rich are you?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Bull**** site. Couple billion in India and China bringing it way up, western world should only be counted, we don't multiply like rabbits, just because you're top 10% doesn't mean you're rich in your country, you could very well be on the breadline at that sort of wage, again bull**** site that takes nothing into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

KilOit wrote: »
    Bull**** site. Couple billion in India and China bringing it way up, western world should only be counted, we don't multiply like rabbits, just because you're top 10% doesn't mean you're rich in your country, you could very well be on the breadline at that sort of wage, again bull**** site that takes nothing into account.

What part of Global did you not understand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

MadYaker wrote: »
    Just because you are close to the top that doesnt mean you're rich. A rich person has lots of money relative to the living costs of where they are. If you earned 30,000 euro a year and lived in somalia you could live like a king.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

Top 0.33%, but it won't last a life time so need to watch the pennies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Top 0.49% in the world. You poor folks should just work harder in order to move me down the ladder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Totally unreliable without reference to liabilities. In the top 0.08% on the earnings side of the ledger all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Complete load of BS that site.

If you earn 20k a year but live in a city where house prices are sky high and the cost of living is sky high then that 20k actually makes you quite poor in realative terms I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Apparently I am in the top 0.94%, which seems so very very strange.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

$2400 could buy you a second generation High Definition TV OR schooling for an entire generation of school children in an Angolan village.

ehh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I'm very important, i have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

Im in college and work weekends for minimum wage and I'm in the top 13.73%....

So you're on €6,500 so

If you earn €100, you're in the top 97%
    €1,000, you're in the top 34%
    €2,000, you're in the top 15%

Load of sh1te to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I must simply stop being so horrified. All of this monocle shopping is going to make me poor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I'm as rich as a TD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

One year of collecting the dole at €188 a week put you in the top 12%.
    There's a thought to stew over.

Your wage is $737. The world average is $1,480.
    Your wage is 25% of the Ireland average and 50% of the world average.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17543356

top 12 percent of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

55,155,977.... Top 0.19% of the world. Why can't I afford to move out of home then??!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Found this on the interwebz

http://globalrichlist.com/

Basically you put in your yearly earnings and it gives you an idea of what your rank is. Not sure how the calculate it but its kind of interesting.

:D

Sorry Mr Hogan - your not getting me this way! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Just because you are close to the top that doesnt mean you're rich. A rich person has lots of money relative to the living costs of where they are. If you earned 30,000 euro a year and lived in somalia you could live like a king.

Somalia? Just don't get kidnapped or a king's ransom could render you broke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Found this on the interwebz

http://globalrichlist.com/

Basically you put in your yearly earnings and it gives you an idea of what your rank is. Not sure how the calculate it but its kind of interesting.

You are the 619,441,233richest person in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The figures on that site are ludicrously out of date. They say

¹ 2003 world population Data Sheet of the Population Reference Bureau.
    ² Steven Mosher, president of the population research institute, CNN, October 13, 1999.
    ³ Milanovic, Branco. "True World Income Distribution, 1988 and 1993: First calculations based on household surveys alone", World Bank Development Research Group, November 2000, page 30.

So as far back as 1988? Parts of the "developing world" has been developing at 10% a year which is enough to doulbe every 7 years.

So I put in £1000. Top 20%. Nonsense. The Chinese per capita is $5000, Indias per capita is $2000, so there is no way that 80% of the entire population of the world is below £1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭conorhal

Jogathon wrote: »
    55,155,977.... Top 0.19% of the world. Why can't I afford to move out of home then??!!

My guess would be a serious and sustained coke habit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

According to their animated graph of people I only need to kill four people to be the richest person in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

D-Generate wrote: »
    Top 0.49% in the world. You poor folks should just work harder in order to move me down the ladder.

You earn more than 100k per year and you have time to post on an internet forum?

Hmmmm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

If having access to money means wealth I could be considered quite rich, if having a reliable income and a stable, moneyed exist means wealth then I am as far from that as Pluto is from my nutsack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

fat__tony wrote: »
    You earn more than 100k per year and you have time to post on an internet forum?

Hmmmm.

Really? Big earnings = massively overworked! Lots of people get paid shedloads to do SFA. Its called the public service!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I'm broke, anyone want to give me a job? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Natasha_95 wrote: »
    I'm broke, anyone want to give me a job? :D

I'll give you a hand job*

Job involves a time consuming cataloging of my collection of pre-renaissance model hands, as imagined by the sculptor René de Feu. It is a very dreary job but you'll gain great hand job experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

I'll give you a hand job*

Job involves a time consuming cataloging of my collection of pre-renaissance model hands, as imagined by the sculptor René de Feu. It is a very dreary job but you'll gain great hand job experience.

I'll take it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Natasha_95 wrote: »
    I'll take it...

And she took the hand and all......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭mezdupmaiden

Robdude wrote: »
    I'm so poor - I'm actually jealous of homeless people with cups of change. Seriously.

Presumably, they have nothing. But me - I have debt. Lots and lots of debt. If I worked full-time and took my entire salary and used it to pay off my debt - it would take 10 years to repay it.

Since I need a place to live and food - and I have to pay interest; I'll be poor for the next 30 years.

I hear ya, as soon as the bills are paid its back to window shopping again, praying some really generous guy will fork out for a holiday for me:(

any takers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Apparently I'm in the top 8.53%.

I guess I can now emigrate to a third-world country and live like a French Duke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Rich is a measure of wealth, not income. They fail at logic.

By their measure, someone earning my salary on the interest of their savings while they swan around their D4 mansion would be as "rich" as I am working 60 hour weeks and renting a 3 bed terrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Sleepy wrote: »
    Rich is a measure of wealth, not income. They fail at logic.

By their measure, someone earning my salary on the interest of their savings while they swan around their D4 mansion would be as "rich" as I am working 60 hour weeks and renting a 3 bed terrace.

Absolutely, ignoring wealth is nonsense. Same crap with the "granny tax" in the UK.

Advertisement