Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi NextDoorToBram,

I can't confirm exactly where you're replacement card will be in the roll-out. We're still on target to have all Lasers replaced by the end of September.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi keno-daytrader,

Standard personal current account holders with ATM-only cards will automatically have them replaced with Visa Debit cards. Although, they're not part of this phase of the roll-out and will be replaced at a later stage. You can, however, apply for an upgrade at any time, as detailed above.

I hope this helps to clear it up.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi all,

Another quick update for you. We've now replaced our customers' Laser cards that were due to expire in 2012. The next cards being replaced are those with a January/February 2013 expiry date. These customers can expect to receive their Visa Debit cards at the beginning of July. As I mentioned above, we expect all Laser cards to be replaced by the end of September 2012.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

An android app which steals contactless credit card details/

Not trying to be a scare-monger, but can you please forward this to the relevant parties in the Security/Visa Debit Card area please..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi roarlad,

Thanks for the link. I'll pass it on to our Visa Debit team so that they can have a look.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Hi I got my new Visa Debit card last week - when do I get a new pin code or do I just use my existing code on my laser?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mine arrived with the same pin.

Hi jaggiebunnet,

Thanks for getting in touch. KoolKid is correct. If you received your card as part of the scheduled rollout, your pin will be the same as the one for your old Laser card.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

Hi NextDoorToBram,

I can't confirm exactly where you're replacement card will be in the roll-out. We're still on target to have all Lasers replaced by the end of September.

Thanks,
    Graham

Sounds like it would be soon enough.Thanks for that Graham.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Hello BOI

My wife and I have a joint account - She's received a VISA debit card but I haven't. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Jame

• Advertisement

Hi Jame,

Visa Debit cards are being issued based on the expiry date on your Laser card. The sooner your Laser card expires the sooner you'll recieve your Visa Debit. Even though you and your wife have a joint account, it may be possible that the expiry dates on your Laser cards may vary.

Even if the expiry dates on your Laser cards are the same, the cards may arrive separately and could arrive with a couple of weeks between them .

I hope this helps clarify things for you.

Thanks
    Pat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

It does - Thanks Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomcorcoran

Hi, i have a question on the visa debit card. i have recently recieved mine by post and have since moved to england. I am wondering if it is possible to authorise it in a boi atm in the uk?! Thank you!

Hi tomcorcoran,

Yes, you can activate your Visa Debit card at any BOI ATM in Ireland or the UK.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomcorcoran

thats great! thanks Graham!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Hi Graham,

I received my new Visa Debit a few weeks ago. Just passed a BOI by chance last week and tried to activate it but it said my PIN was incorrect - it was supposed to be the same as my old one but didn't work. What can I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi reap-a-rat.

Thanks for getting in touch.

Apologies your pin did not work with your new card. This should not have been the case as when a new card issues, the pin should remain the same.
    You can order a new pin for your card by contacting your branch or if you are registered with Banking365, you can contact them on 0818 365 365, where a representative will be happy to help you.

Thank you.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭MAR86

Hi there,

Once I activate the new Visa card, do I have to inform direct debit providers that I have a new card? Such as Tesco mobile... Thanks a lot!

Hi Mar86.

You are indeed correct.
    As with any card registered with companies for direct debit payments, you will need to advise them directly of your new card details.

Thanks for your query.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

My laser card is damaged but still working in ATMs and on tills, I am afraid it will get stuck though, do I have to go to my own branch to order a Visa Debt Card replacement or can I go to any branch?

• Advertisement

Hi RobbingBandit.

As your laser card is damaged, it would be best to order a replacement card now. You can order one by contacting any Bank of Ireland branch or if you have your account registered with Banking365, you can call them directly on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to help you.
    Your new Visa Debit card will take 6 - 8 working days to arrive. There will be a charge of €5.90 for a replacement card on your account.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Hi RobbingBandit.

As your laser card is damaged, it would be best to order a replacement card now. You can order one by contacting any Bank of Ireland branch or if you have your account registered with Banking365, you can call them directly on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be happy to help you.
    Your new Visa Debit card will take 6 - 8 working days to arrive. There will be a charge of €5.90 for a replacement card on your account.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

Thanks for the reply,I will give the Banking 365 a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

hello, i have my new visa debit a week of two now, and its great, very handy for online
    transactions, until i wanted to play the online national lottery, the site will not accept my card at all, i have tried entering the card as a normal visa card, this will not work either, the site is setup for visa debit cards, but just not bank of irelands visa debit one, can someone please help with this issue, i did phone the bank last week, no one got back to me yet,

Hi exercise.

I understand it is frustrating for you, not being able to use your card on a particular website.
    We have looked into this for you, and can confirm that our Visa Debit cards are accepted on the National Lottery website.

If the problem persists, we suggest that you contact them directly and they should be able to work with you to resolve the issue.

Thanks for your query.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

I got my Visa debit card this week with advice to destroy my Laser. Can someone explain why I should want it? My Laser allowed me to purchase online, withdraw from my current account on ATM, get cash back in shops. Where's the beef?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

mitosis wrote: »
    I got my Visa debit card this week with advice to destroy my Laser. Can someone explain why I should want it? My Laser allowed me to purchase online, withdraw from my current account on ATM, get cash back in shops. Where's the beef?

You can use it as a VISA card. Laser is not accepted everywhere. Visa is pretty much universal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Mitosis,

The Visa Debit card will have the same functionality as the laser, so you can still withdraw from atm's and use in shops.
    Some of the reasons Bank of Ireland is replacing our laser cards with Visa Debit are:

-greater online acceptance
    -more security and protection
    -more convenience when you shop

You just need to activate your new visa debit card at any Bank of Ireland atm machine.

Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

Hello again, i have talked to the national lottery, they said, it is a bank issue, not their problem, as all other visa debit cards will work on their site, can you please confirm that the card will work on their site, from another source, or has anyone else had this issue, bank of ireland visa debit card not working with the online national lottery website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Are everyone's BOI Lazer ATM cards being replaced with Visa Debit ATM cards? If so, when will they arrive? I'm still using my normal ATM Lazer card and there's no sign of a new card arriving as of this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi exercise,

I will double check this again for you.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement