Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hi,

I lost my old Laser card a couple of weeks ago, reported the loss and ordered a new one. I was told the new card would be a Visa Debit card as the Laser cards have been discontinued. Great, I thought.

I received my card last Friday but it certainly isn't a Visa Debit card, or even a Laser card.

The card has my name, code number and card number (all embossed), the expiry date is empty, there is no long number or anything else printed on the front of the card and nothing on the back -- no CCV number and no strip to sign (although the attached cover letter says I should sign the card immediately).

Have I been given a dud card (I've not yet tried to use it, in ATM or otherwise) or is it a standard ATM-only card?

In either case, would I be able to request a Visa Debit card to replace this one I just received? The Laser card was useful to me, a Visa Debit would be more useful. This one, isn't much good at all :-/

//Edit:
    The card shown here is basically the one I received. With no long-number, no expiry date and nothing on the back at all.

// Edit 2:
    Nevermind! I called BOI support and it seems I was indeed sent a bog-standard PASS card instead of the debit card I requested. They're sending out a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

cheers pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Goodshape,

I'm glad to hear that you've got it sorted now. If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shaboopy

:)Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

When are visa debits being rolled out for Cork (particularly Blackpool branch).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi The Ayatolla,

The replacement programme is based on the card expire date of your existing Laser card and not on your location or branch. We aim to have all Laser cards replaced with Visa Debit by the end of September 2012.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Could I order one as my current Laser card is currently damaged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi The Ayatolla,
    The rollout of Visa Debit cards is currently underway. We are expecting the full rollout to be complete by the end of September. The rollout is being completed on a phased basis. This means that the nearer you're Laser card expiry date, the sooner you'll get your new Visa Debit.

The only cards that are being replaced outside of the scheduled rollout are cards that have been reported lost stolen or damaged. Just be aware that if you need to have your card replaced for one of these reasons, a charge of €5.90 will be applied to your account.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

I live in Gweedore, Donegal, relatively speaking near the border with Derry. With laser you can use B of I machines in NI for the regular 28c charge. There is a small margin over the base rate, but no rediculous charges like you'd get using it in say Canada. Does this still hold true with the Visa Debit?

Is there an Irish language option for the card? I currently have a Banc na hÉireann cheque book and a Bank of Ireland Laser. If I could have a Banc na hÉireann debit card to match that would be great.

I'm not prepared to lie and pretend I've lost my card, but if I'm honest and explain I need a Visa debit card to book flights online, will I be able to get mine 'prioritised' if I pay the €5.90 fee. The alternative is to buy a prepaid card.

Hi exercise,

We have checked and there should be no issues with the National Lottery website.

If you could pm me your name, contact number and your branch we will have a look into this and organise a call for you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Hi guys got my new Visa Debit card in the post this morning for my new account but it is not a contact less one is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi alexmcred,

We've had a similar query earlier in the thread:
    Yes, the majority of our Visa Debit cards will have the contactless feature, however, some cards won't. Unfortunately, as this is due to individual circumstances, we can't provide any further information on it in the forum.

If you are looking for more information, you will need to contact your account holding branch directly.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi alexmcred,

We've had a similar query earlier in the thread:

If you are looking for more information, you will need to contact your account holding branch directly.

Thanks
    Pat

Hi Pat thanks for the reply I rang my branch and they were not able to tell me why it wasn't issued which to be quiet honest I don't think it's good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Roisin G.

Thanks for your query.

The fees charged on a Visa Debit card are the same as those that would have applied to a Laser card.

Unfortunately, there is not an option to change the language on a Visa Debit card.

We do not have the facility to prioritise the replacement of a Laser card with a Visa Debit card.
    The only cards that are being replaced outside of the scheduled rollout are cards that have been reported lost stolen or damaged. Just be aware that if you need to have your card replaced for one of these reasons, a charge of €5.90 will be applied to your account.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi alexmcred,

Apologies if our previous message was unclear. When you contact the branch you would need to speak to the Customer Advisor who deals with your account.

Thanks
    Tara

Thanks Tara to be honest I'll just stick with my ulster bank account and close my new BOI one. What's the procedure for closing it and what fees would I be liable for?

Hi exercise,

I am glad it is working for you now.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi alexmcred,

To close your account you can send a request in writing to the account holding branch. You can find their address here. If there is a balance in your account, please provide the details of where you would like us to send the money, in the letter as well. If there is any fees to be levied you will be advised.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Hi, I've been issued with a new VISA debit card with the contactless technology - which I have no desire to use - is there any way to get a card without the contactless feature instead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi junipergreen,

Thanks for getting in touch. You can request a Visa Debit card without the contactless technology by contacting your branch or by ringing Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

If there's anything else we can do for you, just ask.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"Standard personal current account holders with ATM-only cards will automatically have them replaced with Visa Debit cards at no charge."

Anyway this can be stopped? I dont have a Laser card and I dont want a Visa Debit card - can i just keep my ATM-only card?

Graham - any update on this from June 5th? I dont use my ATM-only card so I save €2.50 each year. I dont want to be forced into having to register a Visa Debit card that i dont want and end up paying €2.50 government duty as a result of registering.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭junipergreen

Hi junipergreen,

Thanks for getting in touch. You can request a Visa Debit card without the contactless technology by contacting your branch or by ringing Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

If there's anything else we can do for you, just ask.

Thanks
    Pat

Thanks Pat, that's great news.

Hi Delta2113,

While our Visa Debit cards have a number of features and benefits, you can still use the card as an ATM-only card without using the Point of Sale facility. There's no additional cost if you use the ATM-only function on this new card. Government duty applies annually in January. Currently €2.50 is applied if you've used the ATM functionality. A total of €5.00 is applied if both functions are used at any time during the year. If you use the ATM function only, the duty is the same as you would currently pay today, ie €2.50.

I hope this helps to clear it up.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"How do I activate my card?
    You can activate your card by carrying out a transaction at any Bank of Ireland ATM"

Graham can you please confirm that if I receive a Visa Debit card and use a BOI ATM to activate the card this will result in me being charged €2.50 duty?

I currently have 2 BOI ATM card's - one with my current a/c and one with a savings a/c. I stopped using them a few year's ago so I dont pay the Government duty. So how do I get money you may ask? A few options - one is to do an online transfer to a family member and let them get the money out for me using their a/c.

Hi Delta2113,

If you activate your card, or use a statement printer for example, you will not be charged Government duty. You'll only be charged if the usage causes a transaction to appear on your account.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Has anyone had success getting cash back on their BOI Visa debit card yet? I received my new card a while back but I don't want to activate it until I know for sure that you can get cash back in shops the way you can with Laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

I don't have my Visa Debit yet, but I know one of our local shops that gives cashback on Laser doesn't give it on Ulsterbank Visa Debit cards.

What they say is that the bank they use to process card payments charge for Visa Debit as a percentage, but for Laser as a flat fee, so if they give you €50 cashback, they have to pay a percentage of that to the bank, and if it going to cost them to give you cashback they obviously won't do it.

Don't know if this representative of other merchant banks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Twice it has happened to me now but that was in smaller shops i have had no problems in the larger stores,the reason being is the different chargers the shop incurs well that was the reason i was given by one manager.
    Maybe one of the BOI reps here could clear this one up for us,i have had also to get a new card because the first one would not let me use some makes of card machines in some shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

I can confirm, cash back with the new bank of Ireland visa debit card,
    The card is an all rounder, I would say better that laser card, and credit card,
    Thank you bank of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Hi Eloise4Ever,

I can confirm that you can get cash back on your Visa Debit card up to €100. It is at the shops own discretion if they have a minimum spend or have the cash back facility available.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement