Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PrincessOrla

Hi BOI reps...can you tell me what the schedule for replacing the Laser cards with Visa Debits is? Is it by region or just all the country in one fell swoop. when do you expect the process to be finished?

Thanks a mill,
    Orla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi PrincessOrla
    The replacement programme is based on the card expire date of your existing Laser card and not on your location or branch. We aim to have all Laser cards replaced with Visa Debit by the end of September 2012.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PrincessOrla

Thanks Linda

I only ask because my Laser expired in Feb and I received a new laser not a visa debit and at the time the branch wasn't sure when I would receive a visa debit so I'm still unsure!

Thanks again,
    Orla

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

I was told by a friend that VISA DEBIT charge 1.4% transaction fee on all transactions :eek:
    Please tell me this is not true because I was issued with a BOI visa debit last month instead of a new laser card and was not aware of any changes in T&C.
    P. S. Nobody reads ALL the small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

ShaunC wrote: »
    I was told by a friend that VISA DEBIT charge 1.4% transaction fee on all transactions :eek:
    Please tell me this is not true because I was issued with a BOI visa debit last month instead of a new laser card and was not aware of any changes in T&C.
    P. S. Nobody reads ALL the small print.

I believe this is what the RETAILER is charged for accepting the card, you are still just charged the 28c. Both cardholder and retailer get stung for taking the card. If the banks were as serious as they say about trying to get us to use less cash and more cards, they wouldn't charge you each time you used it.

If I get charged 28c once a week for using the card as an atm card, or €3.08 for withdrawing a small amount of cash once and my debit card 10 times, guess what I'm going to do... It isn't rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Shaun C,
    The fees charged on a Visa Debit card are the same as those that would have applied to a Laser card.

You can find out more information on fees and charges for Visa Debit cards in our FAQs section here.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

So how is the roll out going,is it still on Target,just wondering as im still waiting patently here for my card.im March 2014 expiry,only got that card at the end of march so im presuming ill be near the last to get a new card.

Hi sligono1,

The roll out is still on target. We are due to be finished for all our Laser card holders at the end of September 2012.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Is it possible for me to go into my local branch and request one earlier? I'm looking to buy something online I need before the end of July and the website won't accept Laser so it'd be handy to get the card in the next week or so.

Thanks.

Hi TheEscapist,
    The only cards that are being replaced outside of the scheduled rollout are cards that have been reported lost stolen or damaged. Just be aware that if you need to have your card replaced for one of these reasons, a charge of €5.90 will be applied to your account.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gasher

so with this new visa card i am going to be charged for using an atm, i have laser card i use to take cash out, i persumed same rules would apply,that very sneaky if that not case, i be heading to ulster bank i think

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

gasher wrote: »
    so with this new visa card i am going to be charged for using an atm, i have laser card i use to take cash out, i persumed same rules would apply,that very sneaky if that not case, i be heading to ulster bank i think

I think I'd prefer to pay the fees and have access to my account and know it's in order..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi gasher,

As you correctly mention, the charges that apply for Visa Debit are the same charges that apply for Laser. A transaction charge of €0.28 would apply to your account when withdrawing from an ATM.

If there are a lot of transaction charges on your account, there is a No Transaction Fee Offer for Current Accounts. Plesse see below for information on how to qualify for this offer:
    There are two ways to qualify for our No Transaction Fees Offer:

1) Lodge €3000 into your account (but you do not have to maintain it) AND make 9 debit payments using Banking365 phone or Banking365 online services.
    OR
    2) Maintain a €3000 credit balance in the account for the full quarter.

The fee quarter dates for 2012 are as follows:
    Quarter 1 begins 21st of Nov 2011 until 17th of Feb 2012
    Quarter 2 begins 20th of Feb 2012 until 18th of May 2012
    Quarter 3 begins 21st of May 2012 until 17th of Aug 2012
    Quarter 4 begins 20th of Aug 2012 until 16th of Nov 2012
    Any transactions after 5pm on the last day of the quarter may not be reflected until the next quarter.

In terms of debit transactions the following would qualify:
    -debit payment from the account in question to another of your own accounts.
    -debit payment out of your own account into a 3rd party account.
    -pay a bill like a credit card or utility bill
    -to top up your phone using banking365 phone or online.

The following do not qualify:
    -Automated transactions such as direct debits and standing orders.
    -Laser card transactions of any type.

Hope this helps.

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hi Delta2113,

If you activate your card, or use a statement printer for example, you will not be charged Government duty. You'll only be charged if the usage causes a transaction to appear on your account.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

How do I activate my card?
    You can activate your card by carrying out a transaction at any Bank of Ireland ATM

Graham if I get charged €2.50 for carrying out a "transaction" to activate my card I will be straight back on to you and look for an immediate refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,707 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Graham if I get charged €2.50 for carrying out a "transaction" to activate my card I will be straight back on to you and look for an immediate refund.

The €2.50 is the yearly government duty for using your card. It's the government coffers that get the money and it's non refundable. You will have to pay it at whichever bank you choose to use

• Registered Users Posts: 43 PaulDalyRoI

Delta2113 wrote: »

If you're not planning on using your card, and dont want to pay the stamp duty, then don't bother activating it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Delta2113,

Ally Dick is correct. The €2.50 charge that you mentioned is a government stamp duty that is charged on your account if you use the card to withdraw cash. There is also a separate government stamp duty, also €2.50, if you choose to use your card at a point of sale or online. Both of these are automatic and as Ally Dick mention, they are non-refundable.

It is worth noting, if you've already used your Laser card this year you are already liable for the charge. However you will not be charged again for your Visa Debit as it is a replacement card and not a second debit card on your account.

I hope this helps clear things up for you.

Thanks
    Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

14.1 If there is a dispute about your Account or Card, you accept that the records kept by us or on our behalf are sufficient evidence of your Card's use. If a transaction is made using your Card with the PIN or Verified by Visa service, you agree that we can conclude that the transaction was made by you.
    Supposing the security measures provided by Verified by Visa are defeated, and a fraudulent purchase is made. What happens then?
    Are you asking me to agree that Verified by Visa is an undefeatable security mechanism that guarantees my identity and intent, rather than just one additional layer of security?
    And what does your conclusion mean in the context of a dispute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Seriously, some of the questions here are very repetitive and not specific to BOI.

If you have a gripe with Verified by Visa or indeed Mastercard SecureCode or any element of web shopping then I suggest you never use your card online, ever. No system is watertight, whoever you bank with.

If you are the victim of fraud and you can prove the Verified by Visa system was compromised, or that your card was involved without your negligence, then perhaps you will have a strong case for not footing the bill. But if someone cracks a password that you yourself have set or shoulders your PIN and nicks your card, well there has to be some personal responsibility.

It's not getting any easier either, card skimming contraptions and mini-cameras being found on ATMs shows how advanced fraudsters are. You just have to be vigilant and if you sense something dodgy, run, don't walk.

I agree with Savman for the most part and for sure, no system is absolutely secure - banks need to balance usability with security. If it was all about security we would be still walking into the branch to get cash after having presented 2 valid forms of photo ID !

However, I know it can be very hard to try prove you are not to blame for your PIN / Password having been compromised. And you can end up being out of pocket (especially on debit card fraud)

Some of my own thoughts on the matter.

- cover your PIN wherever you use it at ATM or PoS. You might look silly, but it's safe!
    - Never write down your PIN or tell someone (ie shop assistant) what it is
    - be aware of shoulder surfers
    - don't let your card out of your site

- Make sure your PINs are different on your Cards. Don't have the same PIN for everything
    - Change your PIN regularly. It's possible your PIN might have be compromised weeks before it is ever used fraudulently. If you change your PIN, the old PIN is useless to the fraudster.

If shopping on-line (or on-line at all for that matter!), make sure you are using decent antivirus software and check what pages you are entering your details on. Don't just assume all is ok because your browser reports the site is secure...

cheers,

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

There are a number of exemptions to stamp duty in relation to ATM cards, debit cards and combined cards:

If the card is not used during the year
    Where the card is issued in respect of a deposit account, the average daily positive balance of which does not exceed €12.70
    If the card has only been used to request a chequebook, a balance statement, to establish a customer identity or to establish a correct customer account number.

Source - revenue.ie - Pat you should read my posts carefully- at least Graham has.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Meh,

I asked for a Visa Debit Contactless and got a Visa Debit WITHOUT Contactless and was told I'd have to wait another 6 months before getting another card and I WOULD HAVE to pay for the two cards. :mad:

I'd say the Branch Manager is sick of me right now. Everything on my account the BOI touches falls to dust. :rolleyes:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Meh,

I asked for a Visa Debit Contactless and got a Visa Debit WITHOUT Contactless and was told I'd have to wait another 6 months before getting another card

Sure don't worry about it. From what I can see there are very few places in Ireland that accept contactless payments... I've never seen the sign for it and I've been watching - have my card about 3 months.

McDonalds a apparently rolling out contact less tills, but that's as much as I have been able to find...

so maybe when you get your new card in 6 months you'll have a better chance of using the contactless feature!

cheers,

Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sure don't worry about it. From what I can see there are very few places in Ireland that accept contactless payments... I've never seen the sign for it and I've been watching - have my card about 3 months.

McDonalds a apparently rolling out contact less tills, but that's as much as I have been able to find...

so maybe when you get your new card in 6 months you'll have a better chance of using the contactless feature!

cheers,

Paul.

Paul, I am being told to pay for it in 6 months. If they just gave it to me now then I would be prepared. I was told "If you don't want to pay for it you can wait until 2016 and get a renewed card for FREE". Oh thanks. :rolleyes:

As they offer Contactless cards they should honour this. I would like to receive this card now as I hate carrying small amounts of money around so contactless would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

On a side note - I received mine on Friday, do they really expect the card to last until the end of 2016 with normal wear and tear ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

On a side note - I received mine on Friday, do they really expect the card to last until the end of 2016 with normal wear and tear ?

It's probably to make up for the money wasted issuing 2 cards in the one year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi DonkeyStyle \o/,
    Supposing the security measures provided by Verified by Visa are defeated, and a fraudulent purchase is made. What happens then?

All cases of suspected fraudulent transactions on an account would be thoroughly investigated by our Fraud department and each would be assessed on a case by case basis.
    Are you asking me to agree that Verified by Visa is an undefeatable security mechanism that guarantees my identity and intent, rather than just one additional layer of security?

As the verification process of Verified by Visa is 'business sensitive' we cannot comment on it.
    And what does your conclusion mean in the context of a dispute?

The conclusion in relation to a suspected fraudulent transaction would be the final outcome of the investigation by our Fraud team. In most cases if a transaction is made using your Card with the PIN or Verified by Visa service the customer would be held liable for the transaction in question.

I hope his helps answer you queries.

Thanks
    Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Got my new BoI Visa Debit, turn around time was just shy of 2 weeks from signing the forms in branch. PIN came a little earlier tho.

It doesn't seem to be 'contactless' (at least from what I can make out anyway), but I would not be a strong supporter of this feature so this suits me fine tbh.

So far so good anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Thegalwayman

Received a visa debit to replace my laser card about 2 months ago and ignored it. Went to ATM to get cash and laser card was refused.

Luckily I had used it for online bet earlier in the day so went into local paddy power and backed a non runner and went up sheepishly 15 mins later to "collect" Only way I could get the 200 for my night out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Hi probably already been covered but i used my visa debit online for €38 euro and was charged €0.68 pos,will this happen each time i use my card from now on?

Advertisement