Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,
    Savman wrote: »
    Got my new BoI Visa Debit, turn around time was just shy of 2 weeks

Thank you for the feedback, glad you have received your Visa Debit card.
    Received a visa debit to replace my laser card about 2 months ago and ignored it. Went to ATM to get cash and laser card was refused.

As per the letter you should have received with your Visa Debit card, your Laser will be automatically cancelled after 2 months. If you activate your Visa Debit card with the same pin, you should have no issue using the card now.
    i used my visa debit online for €38 euro and was charged €0.68 pos,will this happen each time i use my card from now on?

The charge of €0.68 was a merchant charge. Whether it was a Visa Debit or Laser card, some merchants will pass on the charge for accepting cards, others will not.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Is there a list anywhere of shops using the contactless payment? Particularly in Cork. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I think this is the first time I've ever been looking forward to getting a new ATM card. I want to stop using my credit card for online purchases but seeing Laser is only really accepted in Ireland, if I'm ordering from other retailers I don't have much option other than to use my Visa credit card.

It will be nice to finally have a Visa debit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Lyaiera.

Thanks for getting in touch.

We currently don't have a full list of retailers that are set up to accept contactless payments. Information on where you can use your contactless Visa Debit card can be found on Visa's own website here.

Once we have more information on where contactless payments can be used, we'll post here.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

Hi dmn,

All Laser card replacements are now Visa Debits. ATM-only cards are not debit cards so they're not part of this phase of the roll-out. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Graham

I recently got a letter telling me that BOI are issuing Visa Debit cards. I queried this with my branch (baggot st) as I dont want a visa debit card (for the same reason i dont want a laser), but was told that a card would be issued regardless.

tell me this isnt true

• Advertisement

Hi daheff,

Our new Visa Debit cards have a number of features and benefits; you can still use them as an ATM only card without using the point of sale facility. There is no additional cost to you if you continue to use the ATM only function on this new card.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi daheff,

Our new Visa Debit cards have a number of features and benefits; you can still use them as an ATM only card without using the point of sale facility. There is no additional cost to you if you continue to use the ATM only function on this new card.

Thanks
    Linda

Its not really the point Linda. I had the same attempt by BOI to foist a Laser enabled card on me when you got rid of Maestro.

I feel that BOI are trying to give them to people in the hope that more will inadvertently activate the card and BOI will get more fees (and govt more levies).

IF BOI really cared what customers wanted, then BOI would allow customers, like me, who don't want this rubbish to not have to have it. If i wanted a debit card I would already have one.

I especially dont like the idea of the contactless card which doesnt need a pin.

Luas didnt originally require a pin for credit card transactions up to 50 Eur....guess what? Peoples credit cards were stolen all along the red line and tickets bought in the machines. I see something similar happening with this.

Hi daheff,

Your queries regarding the contactless technology are understandable. The card will be enabled with the latest security features. As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

There is an option for the contactless technology, however if you contct your branch or Banking 365, they can organise the card without this feature.

If you still feel that Visa Debit is not something you would like, you can contact Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 and an agent will get in contact with our Visa Debit department to see if there is anything we can organise for you.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi daheff,

Your queries regarding the contactless technology are understandable. The card will be enabled with the latest security features. As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

But i guess i'm going to be liable for anything taken from my account until i report the card lost/stolen ? Not really acceptable.
    There is an option for the contactless technology, however if you contct your branch or Banking 365, they can organise the card without this feature.
    as mentioned above I have done so

If you still feel that Visa Debit is not something you would like, you can contact Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 and an agent will get in contact with our Visa Debit department to see if there is anything we can organise for you.

Thanks
    Linda

I shouldnt have to keep contacting BOI to tell them I dont want a debit card. It should be OPT IN and not OPT OUT (As its a financial product).

If I cant get a card without debit attached, well you've lost another customer to a bank who will provide that service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just an update 1 week on, I've given the Visa Debit a good testing from some foreign transactions on websites in US/UK to PIN transactions in the local supermarket, cinema, garages etc. So far so good, Verified by Visa is remarkably simple to setup and use when it appears.

The only minor issue I had was in a multi-storey car park, the paystation just said 'Card Not Accepted' for some reason, but I do remember having similar problems with those automated machines with other cards in the past.

That aside, no complaints here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Savman,

Thanks for letting us know how you've been getting on. If you run into any other issues, let us know. All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
    Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Hi can you tell me if broken ATM cards (non laser) are been replaced by visa debit cards at this stage. When will ATM cards (non laser) be replaced automatically,has the roll out on these even begun yet. Thanks.

Hi dirtydan,

At the moment if you order a new atm card, an atm card will be sent out. If you would like to apply for a Visa Debit card you can get a Visa Debit forum in your local branch. There will be no cost for upgrading once approved.

Certain accounts which have atm only cards will be replaced with the new Visa Debit cards.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi dirtyden,

Just to clarify, if you have an atm card with cirrus, when these cards are being cancelled as lost, they are being upgraded to a Visa Debit card. The replacement card fee of €5.90 will apply.

Atm only cards are not being replaced with Visa Debit at this time.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks Linda just wondered. If you've received the letter does that mean you'll be changed to visa debit or does everyone get the letter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi dirtydan,

Customers who have received a letter regarding our ATM cards being replaced will be issued with a Visa Debit card in the coming months. The letter includes details of the features and benefits of our Visa Debit card. However, you can find more information, including FAQs, here.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Cheers Graham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

Gramham would it be fair to say that if a customer who received the letter mentioned above applied to upgrade an atm card to visa debit he would be approved. Is it possible to download the application form online.

Hi sudsandsurf,

You should receive a Visa Debit card if you have an atm only card. Unfortunately you will have to contact your branch.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

how far into the roll out are ye? still expecting to have it fully complete by the end of sept?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

daheff wrote: »
    Hi Graham

I recently got a letter telling me that BOI are issuing Visa Debit cards. I queried this with my branch (baggot st) as I dont want a visa debit card (for the same reason i dont want a laser), but was told that a card would be issued regardless.

tell me this isnt true

My husband feels the exact same as Daheff - neither of us have credit or laser cards - we just use our ATM cards. I'm sure there are many benefits to the Visa Debit Card but it doesn't interest us at all. Maybe the BOI should just issue the cards to people who request them only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Savman wrote: »
    Just an update 1 week on, I've given the Visa Debit a good testing from some foreign transactions on websites in US/UK to PIN transactions in the local supermarket, cinema, garages etc. So far so good,

Savman, did you happen to request cash back in the supermarket etc and if so how did you get on?

Thanks,

Eloise

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Do you have to 'activate' the Visa debit card for online purchases, separate from ATM activation?

I made a purchase online with two retailers and it seems that the orders are on hold. Should I be expecting a telephone call from someone from BOI worrying that there is some sort of scam occurring?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I just activated mine by using an ATM. I have use it online lots of times with no problems .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Nal,

Thanks for the question.

The Visa Debit Card rollout is on schedule and should be completed by the end of September.

Thanks

Billy

Hi Sierra Oscar,

Thanks for your question.

Once you activate your Visa Debit at an ATM, it is ready for use at point of sale and online.
    If your orders are on hold, I would suggest contacting the retailer for assistance, in the first instance.

If there is no issue on the retailer side, please call Banking 365 at the following number and an agent will look into the query:

0818 365 365

Agent assisted hours are from 8am - 12 midnight Mon - Fri and 10am - 6pm Sat and Sun.

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Savman, did you happen to request cash back in the supermarket etc and if so how did you get on?

Thanks,

Eloise
    No but several retailers have offered and I usually decline, I assume some message pops up on the terminal.

Hi Deelite,

Apologies for the delay in responding to your query. I can understand your concerns re: the new Visa Debit Card.
    Please call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will be able to let you know about the options available to you.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just received my VISA Debit card today in the post. Didn't receive a new pin so I'm guessing that my laser pin is the one to use with the new card?

• Advertisement

Hi Kensutz,

Thanks for your question.

As you correctly mention, the PIN you've been using for your Laser Card will work with your Visa Debit Card.

Thanks

Billy

Advertisement