Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Got a letter in the post about the change over to Visa Debit but I've got an ATM only card. Given that I've received the letter, will I be getting a Visa Debit card to replace my current card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi That Guy,

Thanks for getting in touch.

If you have received the letter, your ATM card will be replaced with a Visa Debit card in the coming months. You can find more information on the features and benefits of the Visa Debit card here.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

We've now replaced close to 600,000 Laser cards. All customers' Laser cards that were due to expire in 2013 have been replaced and cards with a January/February 2014 expiry date are the next to be replaced. These customers can expect their cards by the beginning of next month, while we expect all Lasers to be replaced by the end of September.

Remember to activate your new Visa Debit card when you receive it.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I got my new card during the week. Activated it last night...
    If you have an overdraft on your account, it won't be affected by the replacement of your Laser card.

^ My laser card would always allow me to withdraw up to -€70, if I had a balance over €10. The new Visa Debit doesn't let me do this.

Would have really like a heads up on this, tried to use my Laser then but it was deactivated as I'd tried using the Visa Debit card in the machine. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Noggle

I notice the 16 digit long number has been changed that menas I have to register it with those companies that automatically deduct form it e.g. Meteor Top Up Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Barnet

Hi all,

We've now replaced close to 600,000 Laser cards. All customers' Laser cards that were due to expire in 2013 have been replaced and cards with a January/February 2014 expiry date are the next to be replaced. These customers can expect their cards by the beginning of next month, while we expect all Lasers to be replaced by the end of September.

Remember to activate your new Visa Debit card when you receive it.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Graham

My Laser card expires in November (2012), as yet, I have received neither a letter or new Debit Card. However, my daughter's Laser card did not expire until next June and she received her new Debit Card last month! Any idea why?

Thanks
    Barnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Barnet,

Thanks for your question.

You should have received your Visa Debit Card by now.
    Please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will look into it for you.

Thanks

Billy

Hi J o e,

Thanks for contacting us.

Your Visa Debit should not be any different to your Laser cad in terms of withdrawals from an ATM.
    Please call Banking 365 on 0818 365 365 and a representative will look into this for you.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NiallerMc

Hi i recieved my new visa debit card from BOI last week and it is now active,however i have just withdrawn funds from my Betfair account on to my old Laser card,will these funds still go into my bank account as per usual even though the Laser card is no longer active?? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi NiallerMc.

Delighted to hear you have received your new Visa Debit card and have activated it successfully.

The refund that has been made by Betfair into your old Laser card should go back into your current account within 3-5 working days.
    If the funds do not reach your account within this timeframe, please contact Betfair as they would need to look into the matter further for you.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Is there a time frame for when plain old ATM cards will be replaced? Also if I go into my branch and request one would I get it sooner?

Thanks

Hi EGriff.

We hope to have all ATM cards replaced with Visa Debits by the end of October.

Visa Debit cards are available at any Bank of Ireland branch prior to automatic replacement, however a fee of €5.90 will apply for such requests.

Thanks for your query.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

i dont no if anyone else asked this question, but here it is anyway,

i got my visa debit card a month ago, its great, thank you bof,

it does not have contactless payment option,

can i change it for one with contactless payment option?

or why is this feature not available for me,

thats all, some information about this issue please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hi EGriff.

Visa Debit cards are available at any Bank of Ireland branch prior to automatic replacement, however a fee of €5.90 will apply for such requests.

Thanks for your query.
    Laura

- Laura -other agents previously posted that anybody who did not have a laser card could apply for a new Visa Debit card and you would not be charged €5.90.

Hi exercise,

Thanks for your question.

Delighted to hear you've received your new card. Not all Visa Debit cards have the contactless option. As this is specific to your account, we wouldn't be able to provide you with a full answer here on the forum. If you contact a Customer Advisor in your branch they will be more than happy to look into this for you. Contact details for your branch can be found here.

Thanks,
    Tara

Hi Delta2113.

Apologies, my previous post was unclear.

ATM cards reported as lost, stolen or damaged will incur a replacement card charge of €5.90.
    To upgrade from an ATM only card to a Visa Debit, no fee will apply. You will need to complete a card application form in your account holding branch.

I hope this helps.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

It seems like some people have contactless payment on their new cards and others don't. What's the reason behind this? My card hasn't been replaced yet but I think I would like contactless payment to be an option on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

OK, I have the card (a contactless one) but I don't agree to your terms and conditions.

Specifically Condition 14.1

There are numerous newspaper reports where journalists have demonstrated these contactless cards can be read by an unauthorised scanner, and even a video on YouTube shot in an academic environment, where (in this case with the "victim" 's permission), the card was debited in a manner that could have very easily been done without his knowledge.

You force this new, largely untested, demonstrably insecure technology on me without my permission, then in your ts & cs you shift the liability for its fraudulent use onto me by stating you can conclude, in a dispute, that the payment was made by me.

Nothing personal, but I'll be returning it to you in two pieces. You can either replace it with a card without this technology or I can change banks. Your call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,
    G-Money wrote: »
    It seems like some people have contactless payment on their new cards and others don't.

Only the cards with the contactless symbol will have contactless functionality. The type of Visa Debit card you receive would be specific to your account. If you wish to discuss your card type you can contact your branch and a staff member will be happy to help you.
    Roisin G wrote: »
    You can either replace it with a card without this technology or I can change banks. Your call.
    You can request a Visa Debit card without the contactless technology by contacting your branch or by ringing Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

Details of your branch can be found here.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 snowballmc

Hi,
    My old laser car used to let e overdraw my account to €200 if I used it in shops or got cash back. Does visa debit do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Roisin G

This isn't an issue because I never used it anyway, but I've just realised my new card no longer has a cheque guarantee logo on it. Is this intentional? Like I said it doesn't matter to me, but I bet there will be a few people it will matter to.

Hi everyone,
    snowballmc wrote: »
    My old laser car used to let e overdraw my account to €200 if I used it in shops or got cash back. Does visa debit do the same?

If you have an overdraft facility it will be unaffected by the Visa Debit card.
    Roisin G wrote: »
    I've just realised my new card no longer has a cheque guarantee logo on it. Is this intentional?

After June 2011, Ireland was the last country to operate the cheque guarantee card scheme. Ireland decided to officially end it on the 31st of December 2011.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

so any update on where about the rollout is at i know i will be the last person to get a card in the country, is the september date for completion still on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

sligono1 wrote: »
    so any update on where about the rollout is at i know i will be the last person to get a card in the country, is the september date for completion still on??

I bet that will be me. My Laser card isn't due to expire until October 2014.

Hi sligono1,

Thanks for the question
    The Visa Debit rollout is on schedule and should be completed by the end of September.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

Hi EGriff.

Thanks for your query.
    Laura
    Hi sligono1,

Thanks for the question
    The Visa Debit rollout is on schedule and should be completed by the end of September.

Thanks

Billy

am I missing something here? :confused:

Hi Nal,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Laura's answer is in response to a question about when we will be replacing ATM only cards with Visa Debit cards. Billy's answer is in response to a question about when we will have all Laser cards replaced with Visa Debit cards.

So just to clarify, we are currently in the process of replacing all Laser cards with the new Visa Debit card. The cards are being replaced on a phased basis and we aim to have this process completed by the end of September 2012. When this roll out is completed, we will then start replacing ATM only cards with Visa Debit cards and aim to have that roll out completed by the end of October 2012.

Hope this helps.

Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hi,

I am claiming a refund from a Living Social purchase that I made with my Laser card. I now have a Visa Debit. Will the refund to the laser card card still go through or fail?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi J O E,

As the Laser card and Visa Debit are on the same account, the refund should go through without any issues. If you don't recieve the money in 5 working days, contact the retailer to provide your Visa Debit card details for the refund.

Thanks
    Linda

Advertisement