Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Sound, thanks for the quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

sligono1 wrote: »
    so any update on where about the rollout is at i know i will be the last person to get a card in the country, is the september date for completion still on??

I got my visa debit card today and expiry on the laser was april 2014.

Ive a current account and the card does not have the contactless feature. If the reason is specific to our accounts what other accounts are there to be given this. My wife has contactless and has a current account... im begining to believe there's some kind of discrimination going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Hi
    My laser card has an expiry date of 05/14 . Just wondering when I'll be receiving my new visa debit card? Anxious to buy some things online and would rather avoid the excessive charges associated with my O2 and 3V cards
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi NextDoorToBram,

Thanks for your question.
    We've been asked this before:
    Hi exercise,

Thanks for your question.

Delighted to hear you've received your new card. Not all Visa Debit cards have the contactless option. As this is specific to your account, we wouldn't be able to provide you with a full answer here on the forum. If you contact a Customer Advisor in your branch they will be more than happy to look into this for you. Contact details for your branch can be found here.

Thanks,
    Tara

Thanks

Billy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi L5,

Thanks for the question.

We can't confirm exactly when you will receive your card however all Laser Cards will be replaced with Visa Debit by the end of September.

Thanks

Billy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

L5 wrote: »
    Hi
    My laser card has an expiry date of 05/14 . Just wondering when I'll be receiving my new visa debit card? Anxious to buy some things online and would rather avoid the excessive charges associated with my O2 and 3V cards
    Thanks

got mine yesterday my exp date was on laser 05/14 so i would expect it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Booyah_Bren

I've been reading up on the new Visa Contactless payment feature, but I can't find any info on whats making it secure.

Does anybody know how it prevents some crafty so and so from walking up and down busy streets charging randomers as they pass by?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Booyah Bren,
    Regarding using the contactless technology, there is a demo on the Bank of Ireland website which will show you how to use it. When you are using it in a shop you must wait for the green light on the card reader before the payment goes through.

Also regarding security, the card will be enabled with the latest security features. As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

I hope this answers your question.
    Thanks
    Linda

Hi Booyah Bren,
    Thanks
    Linda

Thanks for quick reply Linda, but unfortunately that doesnt answer my question.

Take this as a scenario: I'm at a queue for a bus and someone puts a contactless visa card reader near to where my wallet is. After a few seconds a withdrawal is made from my account without my knowledge.

Maybe this isnt possible, but I'd like to know how Visa prevents this type of fraud.

Also, the same could apply to someone skimming your card.
    Currently, the skimmer needs physical access to your card. i.e. it needs to be swiped.
    With contactless technology can they skim your card while its in your wallet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

With contactless technology can they skim your card while its in your wallet?

That's why there is a €15 limit on a contactless transactions.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

Tow wrote: »
    That's why there is a €15 limit on a contactless transactions.

thats like saying, "sure we dont mind getting robbed if its only €15".

So, my card gets skimmed, which leads the bank to cancel the card and replace it. When I get my new card, I walk through town, get home and find out my new card has also been skimmed and have to wait again till a new one gets sent out. But its ok, they only took €15 a pop (which I'll be refunded) and a new one is on the way...and on and on.
    OK, granted it wont be as bad as that (I hope), but the potential hassle of it all.

I'd prefer if we had to enter our PIN on each contactless transaction.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygreenberg/2012/01/30/hackers-demo-shows-how-easily-credit-cards-can-be-read-through-clothes-and-wallets/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi Booyah Bren,

We understand your concerns, we've had similar questions on another thread.
    I just wanted to re-iterate that, as required by the payment card industry, our contactless cards include the latest security features. The protection of our customers' data and card security is a primary concern to us. When developing products and services for our customers, it's at the forefront of our considerations.

We'll always investigate all reported cases of fraud and review each case on an individual basis. Our cardholders will have exactly the same protection as they have for all other fraud reported transaction types, once there hasn't been a breach in the terms and conditions of use of the card.

Regarding your specific questions, for security reasons, we cannot go into detail here.

Hope this helps.
    Tara

Hi Booyah Bren,

We understand your concerns, we've had similar questions on another thread.
    Regarding your specific questions, for security reasons, we cannot go into detail here.

Hope this helps.
    Tara

Why cant you go into detail here about telling us how contactless payment is secure? Is there somewhere else you can go into detail about the issue?

You're not exactly inspiring confidence in me here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

What happens if you take out a purse or wallet that has your debit card in it to get cash & inadvertently hold it over the POS machine? Are you relying on the honesty of the person behind the till not to accept payment by both methods? Till would balance as card payment taken & all they do is pocket the cash.

Is it possible to arrange with the bank to deactivate the contactless function on your card?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,369 ✭✭✭Tow

You're not exactly inspiring confidence in me here.

€15 of confidence! They have not sent me a new card yet, but when they do it will be going back to get one less an RFID chip. As it is, I operate an 'ATM' only account which never has much more than €100 in it. Years ago I canceled all the ATM etc cards I had for other bank accounts. Once bitten twice shy:(

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    €15 of confidence! They have not sent me a new card yet, but when they do it will be going back to get one less an RFID chip. As it is, I operate an 'ATM' only account which never has much more than €100 in it. Years ago I canceled all the ATM etc cards I had for other bank accounts. Once bitten twice shy:(

Thing is, I like the idea of contactless, but would prefer it if it was more secure. I might have to go the route of buying an aluminium sleeve to put my card in, or see if they sell wallets with a foil lining.

Hi all,

In order to pay using contactless the card must be positioned very close to the reader to function, thus making it very difficult to conduct a transaction accidentally. In order to complete a transaction:
    i) the retailer must enter an amount
    ii) the cardholder holds the card against the reader to pay
    iii) a beep or green light will indicate the transaction is complete.

There is information on our website on how to pay with Contactless.

More information on contactless can be found here on Visa's own website.

We have however passed your concerns to our Visa Debit Team.

Thanks
    Linda

We have however passed your concerns to our Visa Debit Team.
    Thanks
    Linda

well its good to know my concerns have been passed on.

and that's the end of that chapter!
    *throws scarf over shoulder*
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSH4d1EeplI9tU5-e9qEUJTBnRFv09o4-BcQiPRYnb4rEWnXvv-bA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

How come of there are two different types of visa debit cards with RFID.

I have one that's got a purple colour while my mother got one that is more navy and has a year longer on its expiry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Poxyshamrock,

The design of the cards will vary slightly depending on the type of account that you hold. For example cards on student accounts appear more purple while the Visa Debit cards that were sent to Standard Current Account holders are blue.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Hi.

I received my Visa Debit Card in the post over 3 months ago. I have not, as yet, activated it and continue to use my old Laser card as I have it assigned to different accounts and payments. I have not gotten around to cancelling anything yet.

What happens if this activates automatically and during this I am awaiting payments to be paid in my Bank Account via old Laser Card. eg Monies refunding from Betfair account etc. I lodge and withdraw from the same Laser Card.

Hi sam27,

Any payments made to your Laser card should still be credited to your account as they are related to your account as opposed to the card itself.

We would advise you to activate your Visa Debit sooner rather than later. Your Laser card will automatically stop working, usually 60 days after your Visa Debit was issued. If you haven't activated your Visa Debit by that time you may be temporarily left without debit card access to your account.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Just contacted my branch and they inform me my laser card will be replaced by October/November ?! :confused:

Hi Kulgan,

Apologies for the conflicting information. All laser cards should be replaced by the end of September.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Wondering if you can help. I am in Australia at the min and I got the new card before I came over.
    I tried to use it 3 times over here and once on an Irish website from here. Littlefield. I can't pay my bill using my card.

any ideas.

Hi diceyreilly,

Has the card been activated at an atm machine before using it in a shop or online. The card can be activated at any chip & pin atm machine displaying the Visa symbol. You can locate your nearest chip & pin atm here.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mariotr87

Hi All,

I'm in need of a debit card, I didn't know about the switch until 1 week ago, and decided to wait when I found out, but I'm kind of in a hurry. I have an ATM, and as per this thread I gather I'll have to wait for a while.

Can I just go to the office and ask for a debit card? Will they replace my current one or will they just issue a new one (having the ATM one replaced later on)? I don't want this of course, I just want to speed up the replacement process.

If I go and ask for the replacement, how long should it take until I get it posted?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi mariotr87,

Thanks for posting.
    we are currently in the process of replacing all Laser cards with the new Visa Debit card. The cards are being replaced on a phased basis and we aim to have this process completed by the end of September 2012. When this roll out is completed, we will then start replacing ATM only cards with Visa Debit cards and aim to have that roll out completed by the end of October 2012.
    You can apply to upgrade your card to Visa Debit by completing a Card Application Form in a branch. All card upgrades are subject to approval and take about 5 working days to process.

Hope this helps,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Hi diceyreilly,

Has the card been activated at an atm machine before using it in a shop or online. The card can be activated at any chip & pin atm machine displaying the Visa symbol. You can locate your nearest chip & pin atm here.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

Yeah used it a load of times in Ireland before i left but will try get a few dollars from the bank machine and then try again

• Advertisement

Hi diceyreilly,

If you're still having issues using the card in Australia, please ring Banking365 on 00353 1 404 4000 so a representative can look into it for you.

Thanks
    Pat

Advertisement