Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Hi there, I received the letter about getting the card, any ideas when it will be posted out to me? I have a normal atm card

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi smiler lady150,

The rollout to replace ATM cards with Visa Debit is on schedule and should be completed by the end of October. You should receive your new card before then.

Thanks
    Pat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Received my Visa debit card over the last week or so. Will give it a go in the next few days, looking forward to not needing to use my credit card anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Hi,

I recently got my Visa debit card and activated in an ATM straight away.
    It works fine in ATM's/at tills but when I've tried to purchase things online it doesn't work. It just says "We are unable to process payment information at the moment. Please try again later."
    Pretty much happened for every site I've tried to buy off.

Any idea what it could be?
    There's more than enough money in my account for the items I'm trying to buy.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for getting in touch. Can you please PM us with your name, contact number and the name of your account holding branch and I will arrange for a representative to give you a call so that we can investigate further for you.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mavywavy

Hiya my laser card expires October 2013 and i have'nt received my new visa debit card yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Mavywavy.

Thanks for your query.

If you have not received your new Visa Debit card as yet, please contact Banking365 on 0818 365 365 or your account holding branch who will be happy to check the status for you.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,
    We are happy to announce that 1 million Visa Debit cards have now issued.

We would like to remind all customers who have received their Visa Debit cards to activate their card as soon as possible. Your current Laser/ATM card will be deactivated after 2 months of the Visa Debit card being issued.

Thank you for all the customers that have given us feedback on this forum.

Again just to remind all customers to activate their Visa Debit card to avoid any issues./QUOTE]

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I got mine today, only had a lowly peasant ATM card before. Wasn't expecting it for another month or so.
    No more having to check if a petrol station has a cash machine in it before I fill up the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi EGriff,

Thanks for letting us know, delighted to hear you are happy with your new card. Please ensure to activate it at an ATM before using it at point of sale.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Hi everyone,
    We are happy to announce that 1 million Visa Debit cards have now issued.

We would like to remind all customers who have received their Visa Debit cards to activate their card as soon as possible. Your current Laser/ATM card will be deactivated after 2 months of the Visa Debit card being issued.

Thank you for all the customers that have given us feedback on this forum.

Again just to remind all customers to activate their Visa Debit card to avoid any issues./QUOTE]

Thanks
    Linda

You may alter that down to 999,999

I'm handing mine back as I'm closing my account over the charges your bringing in on current account holders this month, and moving to ulster bank

Hi harolds57.

We are sorry to hear you are moving your accounts in relation to our charges.

Just to clarify, the only increase we have made in relation to charges is the fee for the replacement card. This has now increased from €5.90 to €8.00. There has been no increase in charges on our current accounts, however an amendment has been made to qualifying for our No Transaction Fee offer. Please see below:
    Our transaction fees remain the same. There are two options available for customers.

a) Pay as you go: 28c for each transaction.

b) Flat fee option: €11.40 per quarter for 90 transactions. Transactions in excess of 90 costs 28c each.

If you wish to amend the fee category you are on before the above take effect you will need to make the amendment before 16th of November 2012. You can contact the branch or Banking 365 to discuss.

The contact number for Banking 365 is 0818 365 365.

If there is anything further we can help you with, please let us know.
    Thanks.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Thanks Linda,

You may call it an amendment, but what it means is the vast majority of current account customers will no longer be able to avail of no charges on their account and will get charged 28 cent every time they pay a bill from their account or use a ATM machine or move any money out of there account and come next April 28cent for using the visa/debit card.

As The National Consumer Agency described "the changes as “a backwards step” that would put the bank’s customers in a “lose-lose situation”. The agency also encouraged Bank of Ireland customers to consider switching their current accounts to financial institutions that offered better value for money."

So an amendment to you, more charges for me = move bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi All,

It is now possible to pay for purchases up to the value of €15, using your Contactless Visa Debit card in all Boots Retailers in Ireland. For more information, here is a link to an article on the Silicon Republic website.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Is it possible to use Visa debit card in the north and uk for purchases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭jamescd

Yes, you can use it anywhere like a credit card

Hi Mr Jinx.

The Visa Debit card may be used anywhere the Visa Logo is displayed. When using your card in Northern Ireland, the UK and countries outside the EU and EEA, cross boarder handling fees will apply. Please see below:
    If you use the card to withdraw cash, there is a charge of 3.5% of the amount you withdraw with a minimum charge of €3.17 and a maximum charge of €11.43.

If you use the card at a point of sale, the charge is 1.75% of the transaction. The minimum charge applied depends on whether the transaction is done contactlessly or not. The minimum charge for a contactless transaction is €0.10 and the minimum charge for a non-contactless transaction is €0.46. The maximum point of sale charge is €11.43.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

Just got this very dodgy e-mail

2ch3ygk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi jamescd,

We will never ask for any personal or login details in any emails that we send to our customers.
    info@boimail.com is an email address that we would use to send promotional info for new or existing Bank of Ireland products and services. But as I said above, we will never ask you for any personal details.

Any promotional material we send you will also give you the option to unsubscribe. If you would like to unsubscribe to these promotional emails, you can click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.

If for any reason you think an email may be fake, we would always urge you to ignore the content and forward it on to our security department.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Note the address it came from is of no assurance with these emails, its very easy to send an email that appears to comes from any email address. Watch the links it tries to send you to though.

• Advertisement

J o e wrote: »
    Note the address it came from is of no assurance with these emails, its very easy to send an email that appears to comes from any email address. Watch the links it tries to send you to though.

Yup, deleted it straight away after taking the screenshot

Hi.
    We will never send emails to customers requesting you to provide your personal or banking information (account details, login details, etc). If you ever receive emails, phone calls or are asked for any of your personal banking details in an unusual manner, we would ask you to report it immediately. You can find more about keeping yourself secure here

If you ever receive any emails you are suspicious about in the future, please forward them directly to 365security@boimail.com.

Thanks for your posts.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

Got my shiny new card today:D:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi smiler_lady150,

Glad to hear you've received your new card. You can find out more about our Visa Debit cards here, or please let us know if you have any queries.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Hi, my wife & I have a joint account. We received one card in the post today in my name.
    Will another be issued seperately for my wife or is this the norm (we had one atm card each previously)
    Thanks

Hi jgbyr,

Thanks for your query. As the cards aren't issued out account-by-account, you may not receive your Visa Debit on the same day as someone that you hold a joint account with. The roll-out is progressing on schedule and you should receive your card by the end of the month.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Hi jgbyr,

Thanks for your query. As the cards aren't issued out account-by-account, you may not receive your Visa Debit on the same day as someone that you hold a joint account with. The roll-out is progressing on schedule and you should receive your card by the end of the month.

Thanks
    Pat

Thanks for your prompt reply Pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Hi all,

Just to help clear up some of the queries you have I'm going to try to address them all here.

The full roll-out for our Visa Debit cards hasn't yet started. We're in the final phase of our pilot and the roll-out is now scheduled to begin in May. This will take place on a phased basis over a 6 month period with cards being issued weekly. Customers whose cards are expiring over the coming months after the roll-out starts will be the first batch of cards being replaced.

Until the roll-out actually begins, if you lose/break your Laser card you will be re-issued with another Laser card with a €5.90 charge. If you lose/break your Laser card after the official roll-out begins you will be issued a Visa Debit card and the fee of €5.90 still applies. However, if you get your Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out there will be no replacement fee.

If a new account is opened before the roll-out starts the customer will get a Laser card. This will in turn be replaced by a Visa Debit card free of charge. If the account is opened after the roll-out they will receive a Visa Debit card.

Standard personal current account holders with ATM-only cards will automatically have them replaced with Visa Debit cards at no charge. Savings accounts won't have Visa Debit cards and will continue to operate with ATM-only cards.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

"Standard personal current account holders with ATM-only cards will automatically have them replaced with Visa Debit cards at no charge."

Do you still stand by this statement Graham - the automatically part?

Your rep Laura now disputes this in another thread.

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for your post. The post you've quoted above was posted in April. Please see the quote below from our Customer Charter.
    Dav wrote: »
    PLEASE NOTE: All information posted by Bank of Ireland Reps is correct at time of post and may be subject to change.

This Information has been corrected in later posts:
    Hi can you tell me if broken ATM cards (non laser) are been replaced by visa debit cards at this stage. When will ATM cards (non laser) be replaced automatically,has the roll out on these even begun yet. Thanks.
    Customers who have received a letter regarding our ATM cards being replaced will be issued with a Visa Debit card in the coming months. The letter includes details of the features and benefits of our Visa Debit card. However, you can find more information, including FAQs, here.

If you have received a letter from us in relation to your ATM card being replaced, then yes you should automatically have it replaced with a Visa Debit card by the end of October. If you did not receive the notification from us, you can apply for an upgrade to a Visa Debit card by completing a short form in your account holding branch.

If you have received the letter and do not receive your card by the end of the October, please contact Banking365 or your branch.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Hi Delta2113,

Thanks for your post. The post you've quoted above was posted in April. Please see the quote below from our Customer Charter.

This Information has been corrected in later posts:

If you have received a letter from us in relation to your ATM card being replaced, then yes you should automatically have it replaced with a Visa Debit card by the end of October. If you did not receive the notification from us, you can apply for an upgrade to a Visa Debit card by completing a short form in your account holding branch.

If you have received the letter and do not receive your card by the end of the October, please contact Banking365 or your branch.

Thanks
    Pat
    Hi Pat,
    I came across this thread and contacted Banking365 to request the Visa Debit card, previously I had an ATM card only. The lady I spoke to said my ATM card had not been used in over a year and that if I wished a Visa Debit card would be requested for me but there was a fee of 5.90. My current account have funds in excess of the 3K per quarter and reading the thread I thought the Visa Debit cards were issued free, is this not the case? The lady mentioned 5.90 as a charge but I notice earlier in this thread 8.00 is being mentioned?

Advertisement