Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Only got my new Laser cards at the end of March.....
    Guess where I am on the list.?:mad:
    Any priority , favouritism for Boards members?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Neo_g2001

Hi All,

Contrary to information in previous posts I received a Visa debit card in the post only yesterday. Also I did not even request this as i still have my laser card. So the June roll out seems to be porkies! I have noticed the same from another thread on this very site!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

For people who recieved their cards... Was your expiry date nearly up? Mine is in September next year :(. I was hoping to get one soon aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

hmm if the roll out has started, I may have to "misplace" my laser card.....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭jjspine

just been on to the bank an hour ago they still claim the rollout has not started !!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

jjspine wrote: »
    just been on to the bank an hour ago they still claim the rollout has not started !!!

Sounds like a bad case of left hand / right hand fever...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

my card had to be replaced two weeks ago the chip was falling out so i was issued with a new card,i asked about the visa debit and was looked at if i had two heads and was told we know nothing about them cards.

so with me getting a new laser two weeks ago ill be the very last to get a visa debit card,if i knew this i would have held out a week or two more,whats going on hardly makes sense issuing me with a new laser when they have started rolling out the new cards seems a bit of a waste of time

sligono1 wrote: »
    so with me getting a new laser two weeks ago ill be the very last to get a visa debit card,if i knew this i would have held out a week or two more,whats going on hardly makes sense issuing me with a new laser when they have started rolling out the new cards seems a bit of a waste of time
    And money!! !
    Remind me again, whose money?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

There is a theory that BOI were told to hold out issuing there visa/debit till after the start of April so people wouldn’t cancel their credit card before that so the government will be able to pick up the €30 charge there is on credit cards.
    If they do the Gov. a favour the Gov. will do them a favour by allowing more bonuses to be paid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

yes koolkid mine,even do there was no mention of a fee for replacing but im sure the nice people in the bank will have it pinched out of my account

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Neo_g2001

@Aidonin

My laser card was due to expire at the end of this year, however(as per other threads the bank were stating the roll out does not begin until June) I am unsure as to how exactly they are going through the issue of the cards. As in, if it is area/region based, alphabetically or otherwise. Perhaps they can advise on the forum?

PS. I received my Visa Debit in the last few days

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

maybe a Boi rep could give an update on the rollout , and maybe if by requesting a card will put u up the list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

I'm trying to find out the exact roll-out status to help clear this up for you. Apologies for the delay but please bear with me and I'll post an update as soon as I have it.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

met with my bank manager about this yesterday. He'd just received his and asked me what it was all about. So I sat there explaining everything about it to him.

I thought it was meant to be the other way around? He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me when I was going to recieve it, but would keep an eye on it for me.

apparently "the more I use my laser card there is better chance i'll recieve my visa debit sooner" was the only thing he could tell me :rolleyes:

Sorry for the delay all, I've just heard back on the latest with our roll-out.

We've been in pilot since February with Visa Debit cards in use in the market. We've now issued over 20,000 cards to staff and to customers of the Ennis branch as the final phase of our pilot. It's envisaged that the card replacement programme will commence in May on a phased basis. With close to 1 million cards to issue, we expect it to take several months to complete.

We understand there are other questions which we are currently addressing and will get back to you on these early next week.

Thanks and have a nice weekend,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'd be most interested in hearing what happens for people who have no laser card, credit card, debit card, any kind of card other than a normal ATM withdrawal card. Is there an application process, etc. To be honest, if this is rolling out now I'd be into my bank fairly pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nal wrote: »
    met with my bank manager about this yesterday. He'd just received his and asked me what it was all about. So I sat there explaining everything about it to him.

I thought it was meant to be the other way around? He also said he wouldn't be able to tell me when I was going to recieve it, but would keep an eye on it for me.

apparently "the more I use my laser card there is better chance i'll recieve my visa debit sooner" was the only thing he could tell me :rolleyes:

Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

harolds57 wrote: »
    There is a theory that BOI were told to hold out issuing there visa/debit till after the start of April so people wouldn’t cancel their credit card before that so the government will be able to pick up the €30 charge there is on credit cards.
    If they do the Gov. a favour the Gov. will do them a favour by allowing more bonuses to be paid :)

That's very cynical*.

*I like your thinking.

I'm fairly close to changing banks over this to be honest. There's a few things i've been putting on hold due to the fact i can't pay by visa online. Have all the other banks got this up and running?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭red bellied

I have a savings account, will I be eligible for a visa debit card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

I have a savings account, will I be eligible for a visa debit card?

... don't think so - think they'll only be available on current accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Just wondering if you could confirm, are lost/damaged Laser cards being replaced with Visa Debit cards yet?

I ask because my card has cracked, only along the magnetic strip, so its still usable anywhere that uses the chip instead. Nonetheless, obviously its not an ideal way to have, but I'd like to avoid paying 5.90 (? or whatever it is) to just get another Laser card.

Lots of people are mentioning conflicting info coming from the phone service, maybe you could clear it up?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

harolds57 wrote: »

That is bs, if you have a credit card for a day you have to pay the stamp duty on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi who is this,

Lost or damaged Laser cards aren't being replaced by Visa Debit cards yet. If you report your card lost/damaged you'll receive a standard Laser card and the €5.90 charge will still apply.

The only way to receive a Visa Debit card without a fee involved would be to wait until one is automatically posted out to you as part of the rollout process.

Thanks
    Pat

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    That is bs, if you have a credit card for a day you have to pay the stamp duty on it.

Very true but if you cancel it like a lot of people will do when they get there visa/debit , had you got a visa/debit before April you would have only got hit with €30 now because it gone by the 1st of April you have to pay another €30 . So not that Bs after all :D

Aidonin wrote: »
    I'm fairly close to changing banks over this to be honest. There's a few things i've been putting on hold due to the fact i can't pay by visa online. Have all the other banks got this up and running?

Yes they do, i was with BOI but changed to ulster bank . Just go onto there website , very painless to do. Glad i did it now when i see they still havent started to roll out the visa\debit cards, the latest is they hope to start some stage next month. A joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Pat: What if you don't have a laser card? I have just the basic atm card. If I applied for it now would I get the Visa Debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭datk

If I open a new BoI account this week will I get a Laser Card or a Visa Debit?

Hi all,

Just to help clear up some of the queries you have I'm going to try to address them all here.

The full roll-out for our Visa Debit cards hasn't yet started. We're in the final phase of our pilot and the roll-out is now scheduled to begin in May. This will take place on a phased basis over a 6 month period with cards being issued weekly. Customers whose cards are expiring over the coming months after the roll-out starts will be the first batch of cards being replaced.

Until the roll-out actually begins, if you lose/break your Laser card you will be re-issued with another Laser card with a €5.90 charge. If you lose/break your Laser card after the official roll-out begins you will be issued a Visa Debit card and the fee of €5.90 still applies. However, if you get your Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out there will be no replacement fee.

If a new account is opened before the roll-out starts the customer will get a Laser card. This will in turn be replaced by a Visa Debit card free of charge. If the account is opened after the roll-out they will receive a Visa Debit card.

Standard personal current account holders with ATM-only cards will automatically have them replaced with Visa Debit cards at no charge. Savings accounts won't have Visa Debit cards and will continue to operate with ATM-only cards.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Graham, but six months? That sorts things out for me then.
    Ulster Bank here i come...

Advertisement