Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Pat, will the Visa Debit cards issued from May on also contain the contactless technology?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

it is now may will we get notice of the rollout before june or july ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Poxyshamrock,

Thanks for your query. The majority of cards will have contactless technology, which is identifiable by the contactless symbol on the card itself. You can click here to view a short demo.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Nowso,

We've now completed our Visa Debit card pilot and the card replacement programme will start in the next 2 weeks. They'll be rolled out on a phased basis over the next 6 months.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

The majority of cards will have contactless technology

Majority? :eek:

What ones won't? :confused:

• Advertisement

Hi who is this,

Yes, the majority of our Visa Debit cards will have the contactless feature, however, some cards won't. Unfortunately, as this is due to individual circumstances, we can't provide any further information on it in the forum. If you have a query about your Visa Debit card when you receive it, please feel free to contact us and we'll do our best to help.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭irishchris

i have lost my laser card and was just about to replace it. if i do will it be replaced with a laser or visa debit card/ or should i hold off few weeks in order to recieve a visa as opposed an outdated laser card?

Hi irishchris,
    Until the roll-out actually begins, if you lose/break your Laser card you will be re-issued with another Laser card with a €5.90 charge. If you lose/break your Laser card after the official roll-out begins you will be issued a Visa Debit card and the fee of €5.90 still applies. However, if you get your Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out there will be no replacement fee.

So it really depends on how soon you need a debit card.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi irishchris,
    Until the roll-out actually begins, if you lose/break your Laser card you will be re-issued with another Laser card with a €5.90 charge. If you lose/break your Laser card after the official roll-out begins you will be issued a Visa Debit card and the fee of €5.90 still applies. However, if you get your Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out there will be no replacement fee.

So it really depends on how soon you need a debit card.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham
    Need a debit card asap and don't mind paying the charge but has the official roll out started a.d if I rang today would I be issued one (obviously including charge)

Cheers
    Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Hi,

I need to book flights to oz at the end of this month when I get paid and as my credit card is maxed I was hoping I'd be able to get a visa debit card from BOI. I currently have a laser card with an expiry date of May 2013 which I'm guessing will mean I'll be prob in one of the last batches to be issued later on this year. How can I get a visa debit card now? If I cancel my laser card today and pay the €5.90 will the replacement card be a visa debit card or a laser card? If its not I'm thinking I might as well move my account to Ulster Bank where I will get one straight away.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

woodzie wrote: »
    Hi,

I need to book flights to oz at the end of this month when I get paid and as my credit card is maxed I was hoping I'd be able to get a visa debit card from BOI. I currently have a laser card with an expiry date of May 2013 which I'm guessing will mean I'll be prob in one of the last batches to be issued later on this year. How can I get a visa debit card now? If I cancel my laser card today and pay the €5.90 will the replacement card be a visa debit card or a laser card? If its not I'm thinking I might as well move my account to Ulster Bank where I will get one straight away.
    Thanks

been trying to get a "straight" answer to this myself mate! am going to pop into ulster bank and arrange a switcher account on monday as have been watching these threads for months and months on the imminent release of boi debit cards. unless by chance graham pops in with a straight yes or no to your question and mine and many othere peoples!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I know it's a joke at this stage especially as the cards were supposed to be issued by late last year. I rang up my local branch and no one there could give me an answer, rang banking 365 and no one could give me a straight answer, eventually rang lost and stolen cards section and they couldn't give me a straight answer either so I'm hoping one of the mods here will be able too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

I dont use my BOI account anymore because I find AIB far handier as its in college and services are alot handier (AIB app etc) but Visa Debit would be handy. I recently rang BOI to change my phone number on my account and they wouldnt do it, said I had to go into my holding branch and get a form and fill it out- just to change my mobile number! :confused: . Couldnt be bothered going to the hassle, the account can sit there idle from now on. AIB changed the number no problem so don't understand why its so hard to change my number with BOI

Hi Chris and woodzie,

As I mentioned in a previous post on Wednesday:
    the card replacement programme will start in the next 2 weeks.

We're still on course with this schedule and if there's an update we'll let you know here.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi Chris and woodzie,

As I mentioned in a previous post on Wednesday:
    the card replacement programme will start in the next 2 weeks.

We're still on course with this schedule and if there's an update we'll let you know here.

Thanks,
    Graham
    Hope its not another smoke screen with boi! But have that sneaky feeling we are going to be back here in 2 weeks with a new deadline and the famous "i never said it was a definite date" line

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭a_v525

Ha, got my Visa Debit card (amazing design on it by the way BOI, very snazzy) with contactless-payment about 2-3 weeks ago in the post and have been showing it off to all my fellow BOI customer friends up here in Dublin. Cue jealousy all round. Hadn't a clue it was due to my account still being based in Ennis and being involved in the pilot scheme, happy days!

To put everyone at easy regards the expiry date, my Laser was due to expire in 09/14 (only got it last Jul/Aug) and my new one is 04/15.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My laser card was set to expire in June 2012, but the magnetic strip stopped working and I had to be sent a new one last month. The expiration of the new one is June 2013. Does that mean I am now towards the bottom of the list of when I'll get my debit card?

Hi ProudDUB,

Thanks for your query. It's hard to say exactly where in the roll-out you'll be with a June 2013 Laser expiry date. The roll-out is based on card expiry date and we're anticipating it to take 6 months but unfortunately I can't be more specific than that at the moment.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

My Laser card expired at the end of March 2012 and didn't automatically receive one in the post. I had to ring in the middle of April to ask where it was, and to cut a long story short they apologised, didn't know what had happened, and sent me a new bloomin' LASER card in the post soon after. I asked about the new Visa debit cards and when they'd be issued and was told around september?!

Just yesterday 14 May, my wife, also with BOI, received her new VISA debit card in the post, brand spanking new, no questions asked. The expiry date on her card is June 2012!!! Go figure...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

my parents and sister are with another bank and when they rolled out their cards the three of them got there cards within the one week and the three of them had varying exp dates.

BOI are dragging their heals on this one why?taking 6 months,how long does it take to make the cards up and post,you would do alot in one month.

now i think its not a good enough service for their customers,and they are right to be impatient,after all the bank has little or no patients customers either.its a two way street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

The main thing that surprises me, is the costs incurred by every current account holder every 3 months is outrageous. I wouldn't have much of a problem if there was a flawless service to go with it. BOI need to justify their costs by being more on the ball...especially in cases like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

So hypothetically speaking , if I 'lose' my card tomorrow and I ring up for a replacement i will be given a visa debit card at a charge of €5.90? Would this be accurate?

Hi Emmo-m-,

Thanks for your query. We've answered this earlier in the thread so just to confirm that the roll-out hasn't yet started.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Emmo-m-

Was just looking to confirm if they roll out has started? No problem , will keep an eye on the thread for when the roll out begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

My Father received his earlier in the week. Kill of the Grange branch

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

just to confirm that the roll-out hasn't yet started.
    Kulgan wrote: »
    My Father received his earlier in the week. Kill of the Grange branch
    My Laser card expired at the end of March 2012 and didn't automatically receive one in the post. I had to ring in the middle of April to ask where it was, and to cut a long story short they apologised, didn't know what had happened, and sent me a new bloomin' LASER card in the post soon after. I asked about the new Visa debit cards and when they'd be issued and was told around september?!

Just yesterday 14 May, my wife, also with BOI, received her new VISA debit card in the post, brand spanking new, no questions asked. The expiry date on her card is June 2012!!! Go figure...

Are people telling lies or is there a severe lack of communication within BOI?
    Dare I ask how muck money is being wasted on this dragging on for so long?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I also notice my statements now show debit card instead of Laser.

Hi NextDoorToBram,

Sorry for the delay in replying to you, and I'd also like to apologise again for the mix-up with the replacement of your Laser card earlier in the year.

This week we started issuing Visa Debit cards to customers with a June 2012 Laser card expiry date. I would like to reiterate that the full roll-out hasn't begun but this will start within the next week, taking approximately 6 months to complete.

I hope this helps to clear things up.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi all,

To add to my post above, I just want to confirm that the full roll-out hasn't started but it will begin within the next week. At this point only staff accounts, accounts held with the Ennis branch and customers whose Laser cards were due to expire in June 2012 have been issued Visa Debit cards.

However, if a customer's Laser is lost/stolen/broken it will now be replaced with a Visa Debit. This will incur a charge of €5.90 and can take 5-7 working days to be posted to you.

We've updated our website to include a section on our Visa Debit cards. Check it out here or try our FAQ's for more information.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Hi all,

To add to my post above, I just want to confirm that the full roll-out hasn't started but it will begin within the next week. At this point only staff accounts, accounts held with the Ennis branch and customers whose Laser cards were due to expire in June 2012 have been issued Visa Debit cards.

However, if a customer's Laser is lost/stolen/broken it will now be replaced with a Visa Debit. This will incur a charge of €5.90 and can take 5-7 working days to be posted to you.

We've updated our website to include a section on our Visa Debit cards. Check it out here or try our FAQ's for more information.

Thanks,
    Graham

Can I just confirm you mean that, even though the rollout hasnt officially started, lost etc. replacement cards (incurring a charge) are already being replaced by Visa Debit?

I just want to clarify because the impression I got before was the "official rollout" would mark the start of lost/damaged etc. cards being replaced with Visa Debit ones.

Advertisement