Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

KoolKid wrote: »
    Well thanks to Graham you can call them up & get it replaced with Visa.

Yeah I know, I called them earlier but still I'm not happy at the level of sheer incompetence shown by BOI in dealing with the Laser/Visa issue. They don't even have an android app out yet, but that's another story entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Hi all,

Just to confirm that all replacement debit cards are now Visa Debit and not Laser cards.

There was a short period of time during the changeover where both card types could be ordered and we suspect this is where the error occurred and the wrong card type was issued. We would like to apologise to any customers who received a Laser card within the last week.

We would also like to assure you that if you were sent out a Laser card as a replacement since the 14th of May you will be given a Visa Debit free of charge by contacting Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

Thanks
    Graham

I got my Laser a few months back. Can I get a Visa Debit now? I know it probably won't be free of charge so what will the cost be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Sham Courtney

Sea Filly wrote: »
    I got my Laser a few months back. Can I get a Visa Debit now? I know it probably won't be free of charge so what will the cost be?

I'm in the same boat! Might "lose" my Laser Card and try and get a Visa Debit Card. Fcuk waiting months for them shower to get one out to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

It's €5.90 for a replacement card. I'm just about to lose mine as well ;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Here's an idea . Why don't BOI let people who wan't/need Visa apply & prioritize the roll out that way. I'm sure there are lots of customers who couln't care less as well. Then again if even 10 % are willing to pay the replacement fee thats over half a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Nice idea KoolKid but it has taken BOI 2 years to get this far so I wouldn't trust them to actually implement a strategy that actually worked in a time fashion and kept their customers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

I don't have a laser card, in fact I've had the same crappy atm card for about 7 years. When can I apply for a visa debit card?

I'm in the same boat! Might "lose" my Laser Card and try and get a Visa Debit Card. Fcuk waiting months for them shower to get one out to me!
    ..Brian.. wrote: »
    It's €5.90 for a replacement card. I'm just about to lose mine as well ;)

D'oh, silly me, I just "lost" mine too! :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I hear Gardai are to launch an inquiry into a sudden epidemic of missing Boi Laser Cards !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

This is the kind of thread that cracks me up on boards.ie, people posting but yet they cant seem to read or understand. If you loose your laser card you will get a LASER card back in the post. What is wrong with ye people can is it really so life changing and vital that we all get a VISA debit card now. I have an account with BOI and AIB, and AIB have not even started rolling cards out unlike BOI and also BOI is the only bank to have the contactless option on their cards at the moment - Permanent TSB or Ulster Bank do not have the option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mousehouse wrote: »
    people posting but yet they cant seem to read or understand.
    I know exactly what you mean...

Like someone posting...
    If you loose your laser card you will get a LASER card back in the post.
    Even after Graham posted.....
    Hi all,

Just to confirm that all replacement debit cards are now Visa Debit and not Laser cards........

........We would also like to assure you that if you were sent out a Laser card as a replacement since the 14th of May you will be given a Visa Debit free of charge by contacting Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

Seriousally....
    What is wrong with ye people
    ???:D:D:D

is it really so life changing and vital that we all get a VISA debit card now.

Yes. I don't want a credit card but want to buy things online on any site I want. The Laser card doesn't allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Nowso wrote: »
    I hear Gardai are to launch an inquiry into a sudden epidemic of missing Boi Laser Cards !!

:D

I doubt its necessary to lie though. I'm sure they're more than happy to accommodate letting you pay the replacement fee just to replace it now.

You get the card now, and BoI get to charge you the cost of something they'd otherwise have to shoulder the cost of themselves. It's win-win.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

This is the kind of thread that cracks me up on boards.ie,

It's this kind of post that cracks me up. Someone comes along, reads a few posts in the thread and suddenly sees the explanation which evaded not only every other user, but the company's own staff.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for helping us out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yeah I know, I called them earlier but still I'm not happy at the level of sheer incompetence shown by BOI in dealing with the Laser/Visa issue. They don't even have an android app out yet, but that's another story entirely.

Hi Raekwon,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused by our mistake in replacing your Laser card. I hope that you have your new Visa Debit card shortly.

Also, we're hoping to have an update on our Android App soon so keep an eye on the thread here.
    Sea Filly wrote: »

Thanks for your query Sea Filly,

Only lost/stolen/damaged Laser cards are being replaced with Visa Debit cards now, with a €5.90 charge. You're Laser card will, however, be replaced free of charge as part of the scheduled roll-out.
    EGriff wrote: »
    I don't have a laser card, in fact I've had the same crappy atm card for about 7 years. When can I apply for a visa debit card?

Hi EGriff,

You can apply to upgrade your ATM card to a Visa Debit card in any Bank of Ireland branch today by filling out our Card application form. If you have a standard current account, you'll automatically be issued with a Visa Debit card during the course of the roll-out.

Thanks for all your posts,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coolhandpuke

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a rep from boi on here at all. After being issued a replacment laser card this week (5:90e) after said visa rollout I rang banking 365 as advised by Graham. I might as well have been talking Swahili the girl just kept repeating yes sir you will get your card as part of the roll out. When I told her I should have got one this week she advised me not to worry i shoud have mine by September . What a complete shambles

Hi Coolhandpuke,

Sorry for the confusion. If you haven't been able to get it sorted out please PM me your name and contact number so I can arrange a call to resolve this for you.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 masoodo6

hi graham
    yesterday i lost my laser card and i reported to BOI . so do u think they will send me Visa Debit Card OR New Laser Card
    thanks Masood

Hi Masood,

Sorry to hear you lost your card. You should receive a new Visa Debit card within 5-8 working days. If after that time you haven't got it, please contact your branch or Banking365 who will look into it for you.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Hi Graham,

THe chip fell out of my laser card so i orderded a new one on Monday and instead of sending me a Visa debit they send me another Laser card exp 2014. I rang banking 365 and told them about what i read here and the rep told me he knew nothing about this forum and he didnt have any internet acess to check it out:mad: he said he will get someone to call me about it but as far as he knows they dont start replacing broken/lost laser cards until June.... No one has called me yet today

Just thought i would let you know

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi JAMM222,

I'm really sorry about that, a small number of customers have been issued with replacement Laser cards instead of new Visa Debit cards in error. If you can please PM me your name, contact phone number and account holding branch, I will look into it for you.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Des76

Hi all,

Just to confirm that all replacement debit cards are now Visa Debit and not Laser cards.

There was a short period of time during the changeover where both card types could be ordered and we suspect this is where the error occurred and the wrong card type was issued. We would like to apologise to any customers who received a Laser card within the last week.

We would also like to assure you that if you were sent out a Laser card as a replacement for a lost, stolen, or damaged Laser card since the 14th of May you will be given a Visa Debit free of charge by contacting Banking365 on 0818 365 365.

Thanks
    Graham
    Hi I all so just got a new laser card, called banking 365 the lady was very helpful and said a new visa card will be out in a few days, no extra charge, so just a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

For those of you who dont want to "lose" their laser and wait, my Laser card is expired in August 2012 so im fairly high up on the waiting list. Ill let you know when i get mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Will all visa debit cards come with the contact less technology by default?

Hi dmn,
    the majority of our Visa Debit cards will have the contactless feature, however, some cards won't. Unfortunately, as this is due to individual circumstances, we can't provide any further information on it in the forum.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Hi dmn,
    the majority of our Visa Debit cards will have the contactless feature, however, some cards won't. Unfortunately, as this is due to individual circumstances, we can't provide any further information on it in the forum.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham
    Thanks for the reply. I can't wait to get my hands on my new shiny visa debit card.

Mine arrived today, shiny new Visa with contactless technology.:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

I am a bit innocent here, i got my visa debit card last week as the laser expires end of june but am still using the laser at the minute, what is the difference apart from you can buy a bit more over the internet to which my credit card can do anyway.

I dont see what all the fuss is about.

I think its about those who don't have or don't want to use a credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Hi Graham. My laser card expires in a couple of days. My replacement card arrived yesterday and of course its a laser card not a Visa debit. Can i pm you to get this changed?

Advertisement