Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Steven81,

You can check out the features and benefits of your new Visa Debit card here.

Also just to note, you need to activate your Visa Debit within two months of receiving it. You're Laser card will be disabled once you do, or will cancel automatically after the two months. More information on activation and other FAQ's is available here.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

Hi cgc5483,

Unfortunately Laser cards with a May 2012 expiry date aren't yet being replaced with Visa Debit cards. They will be replaced as part of the phased roll-out in due course. Sorry I couldn't help you more with this but if you've any other questions please let me know.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 12 notcalled4

Hi I dont have an account with BOI but I want one to avail of the visa debit card but i have a question

Are visa debit card issue straight away to new account holders?

I do not have any photo ID like passport or driver licence i only have the garda age card
    (Which was not sufficient with AIB anway not sure about BOI)

When i was opening my aib account i had to go to the guardai and get some form filled in ( Can you tell me the name of this form i forget what its called) with passport photos signed etc do you know can i go through the same proccess with opening a BOI account or how do i do it with no ID?

Hi notcalled4, thanks for your question.

Yes, new standard current account holders will be issued with Visa Debit cards. 2nd level students and 3rd level students under 18 who would like a Visa Debit card will be required to have consent from a parent/guardian when the account is opened.

A Garda age card is sufficient as photo ID and you'll also need proof of address to open an account with us. The following are some examples of acceptable documents that you can use for proof of address:
    - a current original financial institution statement dated within the last 3 months (including Credit Union)
    - a letter from an employer dated within the last 6 months
    - a current original Social Insurance document

We would also advise you to make an appointment to open an account. You can find contact details for all our branches here.

If you need anything more please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Will they all be rolled out by December 2012?

• Advertisement

Hi Deedsie,

We do expect the roll-out to be complete by the end of the year. We anticipate it taking 6 months and we're still on course with that timeframe.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

has anyone in Cork had their lost card replaced with the visa debit one?

Hi dmn,
    Just to confirm that all replacement debit cards are now Visa Debit and not Laser cards.

This is regardless of where your branch is. I hope this helps to clear it up for you.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coolhandpuke

Hi all
    I just want to thank Graham for his help. Just had a very pleasant conversation with a rep, mix up with cards all sorted and new visa debit winging it's way to me soon
    Thanks again

Hi dmn,
    Just to confirm that all replacement debit cards are now Visa Debit and not Laser cards.

This is regardless of where your branch is. I hope this helps to clear it up for you.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham
    Just asked in my local branch if I could order a new card as my chip gives intermittent errors when using chip and pin. (There is notable scratches from wear and tear) Rep said no problem and as he was about to process it he said wait a few weeks instead as the new visa debit will be launching. :(

• Advertisement

Hi dmn,

The branch staff member may have been advising you to wait until you receive a Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out so you can avoid the €5.90 replacement charge for your damaged Laser card.

If the problem persists or your card stops working before you receive your new Visa Debit, you can contact Banking365 on 0818 365 365 to report it damaged.

If you have any other queries let me know.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Hi dmn,

The branch staff member may have been advising you to wait until you receive a Visa Debit card as part of the scheduled roll-out so you can avoid the €5.90 replacement charge for your damaged Laser card.

If the problem persists or your card stops working before you receive your new Visa Debit, you can contact Banking365 on 0818 365 365 to report it damaged.

If you have any other queries let me know.
    Thanks,
    Graham
    Thanks for that.
    Ill wait until it gets worse before ringing.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

wanted to pop over to this thread to say that i got a Visa Debit card sent to me yesterday. nice change, didnt know i was getting one!

many thanks!

Do you know of current retailers that avail of the contactless purchases? is there a list?

Hi Coolhandpuke,

I'm glad it has been sorted for you now. Thank you very much for the positive feedback.

Graham

Hi Antigone05,

Great news, thanks for letting us know.

We had another query about contactless payments in another thread. The below quote from it might help you.
    There are already 237,000 places in Europe to use your contactless Visa card with many more retailers set to accept contactless payments soon.

In the UK, contactless Visa cards are already accepted by McDonalds, Boots, WH Smith, Subway and many other retailers.

In Ireland, many stores already support contactless payments and more are joining all the time. Many of our largest chains of convenience stores have all announced the roll-out of contactless in their stores during 2012.

Thanks,
    Graham

Hi all,

I wanted to give you a quick update on our Visa Debit card roll-out. At this stage, customers whose Laser cards were due to expire in June 2012 have now received their new Visa Debit cards. The next cards being replaced are customers whose Laser cards have a July 2012 expiry date. These customers will begin to receive their cards this week. Roll-out will accelerate from mid-June and cards will be replaced based on their expiry dates. We now expect all cards to be replaced by the end of September.

Customers opening new accounts with us are now receiving Visa Debit cards rather than Lasers.

Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Is Laser being phased out completely or is this just a Bank decision?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say it is heading towards the end for Laser.

Hi The Guvnor,

Thanks for your question. We've decided to change to Visa Debit cards because of the added benefits they provide our customers. It means that we'll no longer offer Laser as a product, but we can't comment on other banks' products.

Thanks,
    Graham

Thanks for that.

It is what I suspected - however the net result is Laser will no longer be as popular.

How does the change effect people with valid laser cards - will they just be sent out the visa debit?

• Advertisement

I've no issue with this - it is really to do with online merchant accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

It is what I suspected - however the net result is Laser will no longer be as popular.

How does the change effect people with valid laser cards - will they just be sent out the visa debit?

I'd say by next year there will be no laser cards in circulation at all. As Graham has said BOI are currently in the process of replacing valid laser cards with Visa Debit. AIB are expected to follow suit soon enough.

Thanks MM!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭cgordonfreeman

So if I lose my laser card I'll get a shiny new VISA debit card within maybe a week?

Out of interest of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

So if I lose my laser card I'll get a shiny new VISA debit card within maybe a week?

Out of interest of course...

Yes. But you can probably just be honest about the "loss". There's no reason Customer Care should want to stop you. Its no skin off their nose, and the Bank will get to charge you the lost card replacement fee.

(Otherwise they'd have to replace your laser free of charge)

Who knows, if you tell them whats really going on, they might do it for free, on the basis they'll have to do it anyway. (Unlikely but possible)

Its not like everyone would start calling up. I'd say at most 20% of BoI customers want a Visa Debit ASAP. And of those, some already have them. The rest don't care and will wait. The Bank could easily manage to move those dying for a VD to the top of the queue.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Yes, your current Laser card will automatically be replaced with a Visa Debit card free of charge.

Thanks for your post,
    Graham

Hi cgordonfreeman,
    if a customer's Laser is lost/stolen/broken it will now be replaced with a Visa Debit. This will incur a charge of €5.90 and can take 5-7 working days to be posted to you.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 2 masoodo6

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
    today i got my new Visa debit card in the post
    last week i called boi and i told them i lost my laser card and after 5 working days i have received VISA DEBIT card this morning
    so happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Is it possible to get more than 1 card for an a/c.. I am going to Australia in 10 weeks and although i have never lost a card but i know when it will take weeks to replace something will go wrong. I have no problem paying for it..

• Advertisement

Hi Masood,

Brilliant news, thanks for updating us.

Have a great bank holiday weekend,
    Graham

Advertisement