Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Finally received my visa debit today, Yayyy! :D
    Just wondering from anybody else who's got the card, does theirs have the contact less payment symbol? cause mine doesn't..... I thought they were supposed to have it built in :confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

stevenf17 wrote: »
    does theirs have the contact less payment symbol? cause mine doesn't.

Mine has , yes. Haven't come across anywhere to use it yet.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Mine has , yes. Haven't come across anywhere to use it yet.

mmmm... their hardly issuing different versions of the visa debit are they?

here's what my card looks like, is it different to yours?
    http://bit.ly/LDZa2M

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Different background altogether. Plus it has the contactless icon.

ah well... may let Graham explain this one on monday!

• Advertisement

I remember them saying not all cards would have contactless. Can't remember if there was any reasoning behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I have a contactless card from boi but it's got me thinking..

Most shops won't let you pay for goods less than 10 euros with a laser/credit card. What are the chances that they'll enforce this policy with regard to contactless payments?

So we can only scan for items between 10 and 15 euros..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

What's the story with contact less technology? Does it just mean you don't have to take your card out of your pocket? Like it kinda blue tooth links with the VISA terminal in the shop?

You present it like a fob , but there's no need to enter a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

Not liking the sound of that. Heard it being discussed on Today Fm recently...not really security savvy is it? Also my laser card doesnt' run out until next March. WOnder how long I'll have to wait??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Graham here from Bank of Ireland, I wanted to keep you updated on our rollout plans for Visa Debit. We are delighted to say that we now replaced over 100,000 customers Laser Cards with Visa Debit Cards. Our rollout plan is continuing at a pace and as previously communicated we expect to have all Laser cards replaced by the end of the September 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Stevenf17,
    stevenf17 wrote: »
    Just wondering from anybody else who's got the card, does theirs have the contact less payment symbol? cause mine doesn't..... I thought they were supposed to have it built in

I am glad to hear that you received your Visa Debit card. As this is due to individual circumstances, I wouldn't be able to discuss or provide any further information about this in the forum. However, if you have a query about your Visa Debit card, please contact Banking 365 or your Branch and we will be happy to help.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi everyone,

Regarding using the contactless technology, there is a demo on the Bank of Ireland website which will show you how to use it. When you are using it in a shop you must wait for the green light on the card reader before the payment goes through.

Also regarding security, the card will be enabled with the latest security features. As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

I hope this answers your questions.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Hi i appied for a visa debit card last friday 2 weeks, and i am still waiting for my card,Im planning on going to uk for a week from tomorrow,I am now concerned that my laser card mightnt work abroad once my card arrives in the post,i was in my local branch 2day and the representive was less than 100% sure that my laser card will work abroad once the new card arrives, and she advised me take over more sterling with me.which i feel uncomfortable in doing,i dont fancy carrying a large amount of cash with me,can someone help me please.

Hi DecTipp,

I understand your reservations regarding carrying a large amount of cash while travelling.

Due to the high number of Visa Debit cards being issued it can take 8 - 10 working days for the card to arrive. The laser card will continue to work for two months after the Visa Debit card is issued. You will then have two months to activate the Visa Debit card at any Bank of Ireland ATM.

You shouldn't have any problems using your Laser card in the UK as long as it has the maestro or cirrus symbol on the back. Although if you are worried you can call Banking365 on 0818 365 365 and they can check your account for you.

I hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seamey beag84

Got mine today.. Happy days! Living in Limerick but got it early because my laser card expires soon. Now just to read the fine print, got a feeling they'll be throwing charges in all over the place..

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭argonaut

Glad to see is finally happening, Laser's fairly useless tbh.

Just to be clear though, the new Visas are being sent out based on Laser expiry dates? My Laser doesn't expire until September 2013, hope I won't be waiting for ages for this. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kitsy13

Got mine this morning, contactless transaction fees within the eurozone waived till april 2013 :)

Hi argonaut,

Just to clarify:
    The first Visa Debit cards are being issued to customers whose Lasers are expiring over the coming months. Our roll-out is continuing at pace and we expect to have all our Laser cards replaced by the end of September 2012.

If you have any other queries please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your post,
    Graham

..Brian.. wrote: »
    What's the story with contact-less technology? Does it just mean you don't have to take your card out of your pocket? Like it kinda blue tooth links with the VISA terminal in the shop?
    KoolKid wrote: »
    You present it like a fob , but there's no need to enter a code.
    Not liking the sound of that. Heard it being discussed on Today Fm recently...not really security savvy is it?

Yea not sure I like the sound of that either to be honest. Chip & Pin was only introduced a few years ago and this seems to be taking a step backwards security wise.

If the card you receive is does support contact-less technology is there a way to disable it?

Also I broke my laser and ordered a replacement Tuesday the 5th (6 working days ago) and was told in branch at the time that it would be out in 3-5 working days. Upon not receiving it again today i went into the branch and they revised the time frame to 5-10 workings days but couldn't be certain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Laura Steph

In relation to contactless transactions, I read in the Visa Debit brochure that the transaction is only limited to €15 which isn't too bad I suppose but I think I'll be guarding my card much more vigilantly in the future.

Also, my card is out next March and I'm meant to get mine this August. Go into your local branch and ask customer services about it, they were very helpful with my queries about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm not 100% on this but given that there's no PIN involved I believe Visa will cover fraudulent transactions as a result of contactless technologies.

Just like the good old days when people would skim your card before there was such a thing as a chip or a pin.

Hi all,

In relation to any security concerns:
    the card will be enabled with the latest security features. As an extra precaution, from time to time, you may be asked to enter your PIN to complete a transaction. Once you report the card lost or stolen you will be covered by the Visa Debit card terms and conditions of use.

..Brian..,
    If the card you receive is does support contact-less technology is there a way to disable it?

The contactless technology can't be disabled on the card.
    Also I broke my laser and ordered a replacement Tuesday the 5th (6 working days ago) and was told in branch at the time that it would be out in 3-5 working days. Upon not receiving it again today i went into the branch and they revised the time frame to 5-10 workings days but couldn't be certain!

Apologies for any inconvenience it may cause you, we have been advised of the following:
    Due to the high number of Visa Debit cards being issued it can take 8 - 10 working days for the card to arrive.

Thanks for all your comments,
    Graham

got my new visa debit in the post today, no contact less business thankfully. Now for even more ways to spend my money, horay!

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

got my new visa debit in the post today, no contact less business thankfully. Now for even more ways to spend my money, horay!

Have many people received the contactless card yet?
    I really hope I will be receiving this, but worried now that many others have not.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

Just got my new Visa Debit card today - very pleasant surprise as I hadn't ordered one, so wasn't expecting one to come so soon. Also have the contactless feature on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Just got contactless card today. You can buy a special metal mesh sleeve to put around it in your wallet to stop your RFID data being snooped ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 sh7289

Hi, I'm sorry if this question has already been answered:

I'm working abroad in the United States for the summer, my current laser card is due to expire in September 2012, I got a phonecall from someone at home saying that a new card had arrived in the post saying that if it's not activated in Ireland within 2 months, my card will be cancelled. There is no way I can afford to fly home just to activate this new card. I don't want to risk giving someone else my pin to activate it and then send it to me via post. I also don't want to have my current card deactivated whilst I wait for the new one to arrive. I will be home at the end of August.

Why can't Bank of Ireland just wait until September, rather than cutting me off in August, because I have no way of validating the new card until late August/early September?

Hi sh7289,

The card will automatically cancel after 2 months if it is not activated. Can you pm me your name, number and a good time to call? I will arrange for someone to call you and try sort this out.

Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Do we actively have to apply for a Debit card or is it naturally sent out to you? Also is the waiting list still long? My current laser card expires in November.

Thanks

Advertisement