Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switch from Laser to Visa Debit

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Gintonious,

Thanks for your query. There's no need to apply separately for a Visa Debit if you already have a Laser card. Your current Laser card will automatically be replaced. The Visa Debit roll-out is proceeding on schedule and we expect it to be complete by the end of September.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Is there any way to apply for one though? I just had to get my laser cards replaced because my wallet was nicked, and I'm heading to the US in August, and I'd really love to have one set up for before I go, it'd make life way easier. My partner who I have a joint account with got hers today, it'd be handy to have all the cards up to date on the same system so we can keep track of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭bgm13

I've lost my laser but now if I order a new card and get a laser it will have an extended expiry date on it, pushing me further down the line for the Visa Debit...advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

bgm13 wrote: »
    I've lost my laser but now if I order a new card and get a laser it will have an extended expiry date on it, pushing me further down the line for the Visa Debit...advice?

AFAIK remember lost Laser Card will be replaced by Visa Debit cards.

Hi all,

Thanks for your queries.
    Is there any way to apply for one though? I just had to get my laser cards replaced because my wallet was nicked, and I'm heading to the US in August, and I'd really love to have one set up for before I go, it'd make life way easier. My partner who I have a joint account with got hers today, it'd be handy to have all the cards up to date on the same system so we can keep track of things...

At the moment, the only Laser cards that are being replaced with Visa Debit, outside of the scheduled rollout, are cards that have been reported lost, stolen, or damaged. If you need to order a replacement for one of these reasons, please be aware that there will be a charge of €5.90 for the replacement applied to your account.

If you need to report the card lost, stolen or damaged you can contact your branch or call Banking365 on 0818 365 365.
    bgm13 wrote: »

collier is correct. If you report your Laser card lost you will automatically be issued with a Visa Debit card as a replacement.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Got my Visa Debit this morning.. my Laser was due to expire the end of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Got my Visa Debit this morning. :D Laser expires in Dec 2012. Account is in Roxboro in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

I'll probably be one of the last :(

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

This might have been asked already so apologies if so, but are BoI business banking laser cards being replaced according to the same schedule?

Hi BigGrayKettle,

Bank of Ireland business Laser cards are also being replaced as part of the scheduled rollout. If there's any other information you're looking for, just ask.

Thanks
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

What are the charges for using an atm abroad (Poland) with visa debit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi snaps.

There are charges while using an atm abroad. The same charges apply to both a laser and visa debit card.
    It would depend on the amount and type of the transaction you are doing as to which would be cheaper.

The fees for using your laser card abroad would be:

-At an atm machine is 3.5% and it does have a minimum charge of €3.17 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.
    -At a point of sale, ie a retailer, is 1.75% and it has a minimum charge of €0.46 with a maximum charge of €11.43 per transaction.

These same fees and limits will apply when you get your Bank of Ireland Visa debit card as well.

Hope this helps, any further queries let me know.

Laura.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So is it the same as using a visa credit card or cheaper? (I have my visa debit now)

Hi snaps.

The fees while abroad are different on a credit card.

If you are in the Eurozone there will be no additional charges for using your card to make purchases. Outside the Eurozone, a cross boarder handling fee of 1.75% applies to all transactions, whether your account is in credit or not.

If you are withdrawing cash from an atm, a fee of €2.54 or 1.5%, whichever is greater will apply, unless your credit card is in credit.

More information on our fees and charges can be found here.

Hope this helps.
    Laura

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

Got my visa debit this week. My laser wasn't due to expire until October. Glad to have it though

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Asked for a replacement Laser card on business account last week and a shiny new Laser card turned up. I thought these were no longer being issued? Is there any way to guarantee a replacement Visa debit card.

Hi andyeire,

Thanks for letting us know. You should've received a Visa Debit card as a replacement for your Laser.

Would you please PM me your name, contact details and account holding branch? I will arrange for one of our representatives to give you a call and we will have a Visa Debit card sent out to you at no charge.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

Hi Pat/Laura

Had my new card a few weeks now, noticed one issue with it.

Trying to process cash back from a retail shop (Centra) , it doesn't allow it for some reason. They are not sure why either but have said that all these new cards aren't allowing for cash back at till.

Hi Antigone05,

Thanks for letting us know. We appreciate the feedback.

It is an issue our Visa Debit team is aware of and it is currently being investigated. Apologies for any inconvienience that this has caused.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Is there any chance someone could see when they will get their card..

i am moving to Australia on August 7th and would be smashing if i had it before then.

• Advertisement

Hi diceyreilly.

I understand you would like to have your new card before you leave.

The rollout for the new visa debit cards is happening on a phased basis, the nearer your cards are to their expiry, the sooner you will receive your Visa Debit card.

If you contact your branch they may be able to check the status for you.

Hope this helps.

Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

My sister got her Visa Debit in the post last week. Encouraging. Why haven't I got mine though. :(

Hi Sea Filly,

Thanks for your query.
    The rollout for the new visa debit cards is happening on a phased basis, the nearer your cards are to their expiry, the sooner you will receive your Visa Debit card.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 7 big baz

Hi,

I have a BOI current account with an ATM Card only (Never had a Laser Card). I would like to apply for a Visa Debit Card on my account, do I have to visit my local branch to apply or can it be applied for online?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Herrick

Hi all. I recently lost my laser card. If I go in and apply for a replacement will I get a Visa Debit as a replacement?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Barry,
    You can apply to upgrade your card to Visa Debit by completing a Card Application Form in a branch. All card upgrades are subject to approval and take about 5 working days to process.

We don't have an option for online applications. However, if you can't get to a branch you can contact them or Banking365 and request to have a form posted to you.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi Herrick,
    if a customer's Laser is lost/stolen/broken it will now be replaced with a Visa Debit. This will incur a charge of €5.90 and can take 5-7 working days to be posted to you.

If you haven't already, we'd advise you to contact Card Services on 1890 251 251 to cancel your card. They can help re-issue you with a Visa Debit card, or you can go into any branch, call them or contact Banking365.

If there's anything else we can help you with just ask.
    Thanks,
    Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 8 NextDoorToBram

Hi Graham,
    The expiry date on my last laser card was April 2012 and was issued with a new laser card in May. The new expiry date is April 2014, do you think I'd be way down the queue before replacement with the new Visa Debit card? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 big baz

Hi Barry,

We don't have an option for online applications. However, if you can't get to a branch you can contact them or Banking365 and request to have a form posted to you.

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

Many thanks Graham!

Regards,
    Barry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your query,
    Graham

I was under the impression that if you had just an atm card and no laser you would still get the Visa debit card soon?

If we have just an ATM card do we have to apply for an upgrade the the Visa debit card?

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

Advertisement