Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dub: Which Livery ? (Help)

Options
  • 02-04-2012 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks,

I may be moving to Dublin soon and will bring the horse with me. I would find it hard to train my horse being only a weekend rider and as I will work in the city centre, I am looking for a Livery and area to live in which is really commutable. I know there may be some liveries which are closer to the city but I am ideally looking for a livery and town which is on the periphery of Dublin or in countryside but which has a swift transport link - either train, tram or car, to maximise my riding time !
    So.. using your knowledge of different liveries and the transport systems, if you were to just pick a professional livery with excellent facilities and hacking and decide to live close to it, and also have to commute to the City Centre daily..then where would it be ? Stepaside area or Saggart might be an option.. from what I am finding on the web but those in the know may have better suggestions !

I am currently enjoying dawn rides with my horse every morning, well that won't last sadly if I move probably, so I just need to find the most convenient next best thing in a friendly professional yard with a range of services.

Many thanks in advance for your kind suggestions !

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

Stepaside and Saggart are very horsey areas although they are a good bit away from the city. Buses would go near by to yards but you'd have to make a 30 min walk. There may be closer yards to the city centre on the North side although I don't know anything about yards on that side of the city sorry!

Yards in Stepaside:
    Brooke Lodge
    Hawthorn Stables
    Rosefield
    there's also one off of Ballycorus Road in Enniskerry.
    There are more yards around but don't know much about them sorry

Yards in Saggart:
    Coolmine Equestrian Centre (although its a riding school it's very quiet so would be nice to board in)
    Hampton Lodge
    New Haven.

Have you considered Rathfarnham at all? It's about 20 mins drive from the city centre and not too far from Saggart!
    There's a guy called Andrew on the Cruagh Road and then two livery yards on Kilakee road but I think one is private and hard to get into! There is however Rathfarnham Equestrian Centre (it's a livery yard despite it's name) but I personally wouldn't be fond of this yard. PM if you have any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

If you're not fussed about being close to town for nights out etc. somewhere like Maynooth or Ashbourne might suit you. The former is about 30 minutes from Dublin by train, the latter about the same by car. Both have lots of nice riding schools and livery yards around them and are nice places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mickredirl

Hi there is a new equestrian centre in Donabate, based in Kilcrea. You can get the train straight from Connolly train station to Donabate and Kilcrea is only 10 minutes walk from the station!! You can ring them <snip> and they will give you further information.

Mod edit: No contact details in posts, please. If LucentEx is interested in getting the number, they can PM you.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Eshaness

Maynooth would be worth checking out- there are a lot of yards in the area with decent facilities- Leinster Stud, Charlie O'Neills (a short drive towards Clane)- both of which have lands to ride on, Maynooth Eq Centre and lots of smaller private yards- often saw competitive ads in donedeal for that area. Direct train service into town would make commuting to the city easier. Lots of shows, hunter trials etc in the Kildare area also if you want to get out and about. Or check out along the other train line in Kildare- Naas/Newbridge/Sallins/Kildare town- lots of yards along that route also, and option of finding somewhere with hacking distance of the Curragh- getting an early morning ride out there would be a nice option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

LucentEx wrote: »
    ... if you were to just pick a professional livery with excellent facilities and hacking and decide to live close to it..T

Will you have a car - it might help narrow down suggestions if you can drive to the yard or have to walk or cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LucentEx

Hi GT, yes that would have helped - I will have all forms of transport available to me, sadly no personal helicopter though as that would probably make things much easier ! Thanks for your help..
    And thank you everyone else for your helpful suggestions and information !
    Tony

Will you have a car - it might help narrow down suggestions if you can drive to the yard or have to walk or cycle.

Advertisement