Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photoshop: Split image into multiple parts

Options
  • 02-04-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an image that i'd like to split up into around 15-30 pieces. Each of these pieces will then be their own .png file. Right now i'm happy enough with these pieces being just square. The idea is that i'll be using these images in a jigsaw application, where the user will reassemble the pieces.

What is the best way to approach this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

use your selection tool select each part cut it and paste it away from the main image, once you've done this to the entire image delete the image as a whole and you'll be left with the jigsaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

use your selection tool select each part cut it and paste it away from the main image, once you've done this to the entire image delete the image as a whole and you'll be left with the jigsaw

Thanks for that, but i was kind of hoping there might be an easier way than that - maybe a way to use the grid to cut up the original image? Maybe not though

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You could probably use the slice tool also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

If you arent fussy about using Photoshop to do it, Photoscape is a great free tool to use to do things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Thanks for the suggestions. I used off.the.walls suggestion and got through it pretty quickly.

I'm just wondering for the future; if i wanted to split the image up into several smaller images, each with a "jigsaw-type" shape, how would i do this? Is there any way to overlay a jigsaw outline and tell PS to cut up the image? Or will i have to use the overlay image and then use my selection tool to manually trace each jigsaw element?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Have a look at vector masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Osmosae

I'm sure there are loads, there's always more than 1 way to skin a cat. Off the top of my head you could create a path with the pen tool of a jigsaw piece, then save the path and simply use that as a template to cut the different pieces out.

You could also import an image of a jigsaw piece, use that as a template and cut the different sections out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Draw the grid with the slice tool and then export to slices under the 'save for web devices' file menu option.

(it has been a while, but I'm sure it's there...)

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 argantrees

CTRL + R to enable ruler.

Click on the ruler and drag out GUIDES where you want your cuts.

In case you disabled guides, just double check if they are visible
    CTRL + ; switches them on/off

C to pull up the slice tool

Click on "Slices from Guides button" on the bar above.

File -> Save for Web -> Save -> select a folder

Photoshop should split your design now into separate files based on the guides you placed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement