Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's being built near Charlesland golf club, off Charlesland rd.?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

What's with all the construction work, does anyone know?
    Just worried that whatever it is will block the view of the sea :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

You can search all the Wicklow planning applications here
    http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/SearchExact.aspx?FocusFieldName=Address

It can be quite interesting actually

And view them on a map
    http://193.178.1.178/Wicklow_allcounty_gplan/

Looks like it might be a nursing home....?
    http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=08323&LASiteID=0

Or a plastics factory.....yikes
    http://www.wicklow.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=114628&LASiteID=0

• Registered Users Posts: 4 deemk

Thanks gavinjc, I'll have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Could be that industrial unit alright. Is something finally being built on that IDA site?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

deemk wrote: »
    ...whatever it is will block the view of the sea :mad:

Looks like it's the Wicklow plastics planning application. How good a view do/did you have?

FWIW, they have submitted a landscaping drawing with the application...hopefully the trees will block your view of the factory :rolleyes:

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ad1234

Hi all, was just wondering if anybody knew what they are building/working on just down from the Seabourn apts accross from Charlesland?

• Advertisement

was there not zoned residential though? i just asked the same question ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

I think it's the IDA land so doubt it's residential. I haven't looked in detail, but it seems they also have a place in Newtown.

http://www.procap.com/index.php/en/procap-plastic-caps-contact/12-sites-procap/6-procap-uk

A few jobs and a bit of enterprise. Might entice a few more into the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

There was a planning notice up for some sort of a plastic's factory a while ago, presume its that.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Yep looks like he plastic factory. According to this website work was due to start on 2/4/2012 and take 18months and cost over 6million euro
    http://www.cisireland.com/ProjectDescription.aspx?id=1027

Surprised this isn't really big news as the Ida have done nothing with the site for years and were pushed to market it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thought this was a joke until I read the planning app.
    Crazy to me - Greystones is a place of outstanding beauty (biased and don't mind admitting it).

I just hope that however they build this factory that they properly screen it off with trees etc to not only hide it from view but that all waste is properly disposed of - both water borne and air-borne.

Sad times folks - yes it means jobs but at what cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Dont think you will be able to see it from the road tbh, Its mostly single storey according to the planning application and where its being built it is on a decline.

wicklowdub wrote: »
    Dont think you will be able to see it from the road tbh, Its mostly single storey according to the planning application and where its being built it is on a decline.

If that's the case and proper care is taken with pollution (as with any manufacturing facility) then I guess this can only be a good thing for local employment.

I personally just hate driving past the business parks you see in some areas. So here's hoping you are right and this can be the model for plants to come - built with the environment and surroundings in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

wicklowdub wrote: »

Planning Reference No.: 114628
    Application Date: 06/09/2011
    Decision Date: 27/10/2011
    Start Date: 02/04/2012
    Finish Date: 28/09/2013
    Period: 18 Months
    Floor Area: 7810 m2
    Site Area: 2.82 hectares
    Structures: 1
    Value: €6,056,655 (Estimate)
    Funding Type: Private
    Units:
    Storeys: 2
    Car Parking:
    Construction Type: New Build

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Planning Reference No.: 114628
    Application Date: 06/09/2011
    Decision Date: 27/10/2011
    Start Date: 02/04/2012
    Finish Date: 28/09/2013
    Period: 18 Months
    Floor Area: 7810 m2
    Site Area: 2.82 hectares
    Structures: 1
    Value: €6,056,655 (Estimate)
    Funding Type: Private
    Units:
    Storeys: 2
    Car Parking:
    Construction Type: New Build

I think I read most of it will be 1 storey but part 2.
    Not too sure about the silos though, not much info about those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

so is it this factory? thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

Completed in 18 months? Brilliant, that's just when I'm finished college, thank god! Considering that there aren't very many jobs in Greystones this is great, and I'll echo the comments made about pollution and view etc. I'm actually working in a factory in Kilcoole at the moment and the industrial estate actually looks quite pleasant! (White buildings, tucked in a bit behind the mainstreet). If they place it properly I can't see any negatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

anyone know what's been built to the left of the roundabout heading into charlesland ?

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    anyone know what's been built to the left of the roundabout heading into charlesland ?

thanks

thanks for moving mod, didn't notice this thread.

Completed in 18 months? Brilliant, that's just when I'm finished college, thank god! Considering that there aren't very many jobs in Greystones this is great, and I'll echo the comments made about pollution and view etc. I'm actually working in a factory in Kilcoole at the moment and the industrial estate actually looks quite pleasant! (White buildings, tucked in a bit behind the mainstreet). If they place it properly I can't see any negatives.

I read that the company were not creating any new jobs, only transferrig their current 6 staff from newtown with a possibilty of new employment in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

big old building for just 6 people

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

big old building for just 6 people

Massive building - you could fit a hundred employees there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Unfortunately it is now clearly visible when coming down the hill from Kindlestown wood, so the view across to Wicklow head is a little different now.
    Had hoped it would be screened behind trees - and maybe it will be.

Just hoping that the current visibility is just during the building phase. Shame the planning office could not do something simple like require cladding to be green or some other non aluminium colour that fades into the surroundings.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

totally agreed, the view is brutal from my place. worse than the fairways :P

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Country is on its arse, we should be glad of local employment, I'm sure there's plenty out of work in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

It's not exactly the plush area of Greystones now is it? NIMBY etc etc. Seems like it's in a grand spot really.

God. No-one is giving out about employment - my concern is the blot on the landscape. Worked before in a factory down the country - unless you knew it was there or saw the sign at the gate you had no idea it was there.

Called blending in with the environment. Wicklow is a beautiful county and I am proud of it for the most part - just hate that view down to Wicklow now being detracted by what I can only describe as an eyesore. Whether it could be hidden by coloured cladding or blended into the surrounding area - leaving it as is - well it's horrific.

You mightn't agree - and that's ok - all of our tastes are different. I personally don't appreciate or find a factory pleasing to look at when I try to enjoy the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Taltos wrote: »
    God. No-one is giving out about employment - my concern is the blot on the landscape. Worked before in a factory down the country - unless you knew it was there or saw the sign at the gate you had no idea it was there.

Called blending in with the environment. Wicklow is a beautiful county and I am proud of it for the most part - just hate that view down to Wicklow now being detracted by what I can only describe as an eyesore. Whether it could be hidden by coloured cladding or blended into the surrounding area - leaving it as is - well it's horrific.

You mightn't agree - and that's ok - all of our tastes are different. I personally don't appreciate or find a factory pleasing to look at when I try to enjoy the scenery.
    I agree totally ..no effort whatsoever to soften its outline..be sympathetic to nearby houses.im sure the view from the golf course aint great either..it can be done..look at the sewage treatment facility nearby..it cant be seen at all from either direction..trees planted to screen it e.t.c too....and somebody trained in college for years and that eyesore of a factory is the best he came up with for the area..well done...(any extra jobswill be great though)

This is what it will look like
    http://www.procap.com/index.php/en/procap-plastic-caps-corporate/procap-plastic-caps-news/procap-plastic-caps-interne-news/155-nouvelle-usine-en-irlande
    The planning permission also states it should be hidden by trees, although if those trees take 30 years to grow that wont be much use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

just hate that view down to Wicklow now being detracted by what I can only describe as an eyesore

The view from where, exactly? I drive past it every day and it doesn't bother me at all seeing as it is well set back from the road.

Advertisement