Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's being built near Charlesland golf club, off Charlesland rd.?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Taltos wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is now clearly visible when coming down the hill from Kindlestown wood, so the view across to Wicklow head is a little different now.
    Had hoped it would be screened behind trees - and maybe it will be.

Just hoping that the current visibility is just during the building phase. Shame the planning office could not do something simple like require cladding to be green or some other non aluminium colour that fades into the surroundings.

Just a thought.
    Jimjay wrote: »
    This is what it will look like
    http://www.procap.com/index.php/en/procap-plastic-caps-corporate/procap-plastic-caps-news/procap-plastic-caps-interne-news/155-nouvelle-usine-en-irlande
    The planning permission also states it should be hidden by trees, although if those trees take 30 years to grow that wont be much use.

From earlier posts

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I guess I'm more concerned with what things look like from ground level, not some distant aerial view.

I can see that a large building could spoil the panoramic view of uninterrupted fields, but being so close to the much larger Charlesland development, does it really make that much difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Jimjay wrote: »
    It looks just like the swimming pool. I bet they'll get a few people showing up with togs and towels :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I guess I'm more concerned with what things look like from ground level, not some distant aerial view.

I can see that a large building could spoil the panoramic view of uninterrupted fields, but being so close to the much larger Charlesland development, does it really make that much difference?

Actually it really does. Even last night as I came home I couldn't help but let my eyes be drawn to it. Hopefully the trees from the pp will soften it - who knows even from this height the perspective might cause the trees to blend it in.

Thanks to the others for linking in my earlier posts. Hopefully it is just because it is a change to the view I keep looking at it - hopefully in time it will fade. Remember a factory in Walkinstown, when it first went up it could be seen everywhere but after a years weathering from a distance it looked like a stormy sea - but it was deep blue in colour not white. (Fingers crossed though)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Although i'd agree that the facility could have been designed with a little more imagination, practically speaking, it is not a special site and as such does not really warrant any special treatment.

It is built on IDA land that has been left lying idle for a long time. With one company now investing on the site, others may be more attracted to consider Greystones as a location. This is only a positive that will generate more employment opportunities.

Anyway, in case any factory owners are considering setting up here and are trawling this thread, here's some links to well designed industrial units! :

http://fancycribs.com/27851-typical-warehouse-with-an-extra-glass-box-on-top.html

http://www.archdaily.com/40086/huanacu-warehouse-office-tfps/

http://www.habitables.co.uk/architecture/warehouse-mullen-heller-architecture

http://www.designboom.com/weblog/cat/9/view/19815/group-a-workshop-steigereiland.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

its the plastics factory its moving from newtown i heard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

hollster2 wrote: »
    its the plastics factory its moving from newtown i heard
    you shoulda read the thread before posting....

looking at it from my place up in the crescent its a huge eyesore, when the sun shines on it the whole bloody thing glows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

you shoulda read the thread before posting....

looking at it from my place up in the crescent its a huge eyesore, when the sun shines on it the whole bloody thing glows!
    i did read the post you dont have to be rude its lookd horrendous where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

But nobody opposed the planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

gavinjc wrote: »
    But nobody opposed the planning?

Did anyone know about it? The first i heard about it was acter it was approved. I remember thinking how they sneaked it through. I walk up the road all the time and never remember seeing a planning board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

IDA land, i think they managed to get PP under the radar.

Some of the conditions of granting of planning permission
    > Landscaping:

18. A tree planting and landscaping scheme, prepared by a qualified landscape architect, shall be submitted prior to occupation of the development for the written agreement of the Planning Authority. The scheme shall include proposals for a 10m riparian habitat buffer to the Three Trouts Stream to the requirements of the Planning Authority. The proposed development shall accord with this agreement.

REASON: In order to assimilate development on this site into the surrounding area, in the interests of visual amenity and proper planning and development.

19. The landscaping and tree planting shall be carried out before or during the first planting season or part thereof occurring after the occupation of development. Any plants, which become seriously damaged, shall be replaced by others of similar size and species.

REASON: In order to assimilate development on this site into the surrounding area, in the interests of visual amenity and proper planning and development.

Lighting:

20. All external lighting shall comply or be so altered to comply with the Guidance Notes for the Reduction of Light Pollution: Institute of Lighting Engineers 2000. Prior to the commencement of use of any light, confirmation, from a suitably qualified professional person, that the development complies with this standard shall be submitted to and agreed in writing with the Planning Authority.

REASON: In the interests of residential and visual amenity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

18. A tree planting and landscaping scheme, prepared by a qualified landscape architect, shall be submitted prior to occupation of the development for the written agreement of the Planning Authority. The scheme shall include proposals for a 10m riparian habitat buffer to the Three Trouts Stream to the requirements of the Planning Authority. The proposed development shall accord with this agreement.
    "Riparian" means along a river- so these trees would be at the back of the site, and to the right hand side of it looking from the road. They will do nothing to screen the building, except maybe from one of the Seaview apartment blocks.
    However, this means there is a now a great opportunity to continue the riparian parkland footpath which runs along the stream through Charlesland, on down towards the sea at Woodlands/the driving range. The 10metre strip mentioned in the PP could easily accommodate a tarred footpath.
    Before the works started there was an old dirt path going across the IDA site and round the back of the railings of the water treatment plant to the Three Trout Stream bridge at Woodlands. From there a short path goes along the very end of the driving range straight to the beach. That would make it a five minute walk from Charlesland to the beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

recedite wrote: »
    "Riparian" means along a river- so these trees would be at the back of the site, and to the right hand side of it looking from the road. They will do nothing to screen the building, except maybe from one of the Seaview apartment blocks.
    However, this means there is a now a great opportunity to continue the riparian parkland footpath which runs along the stream through Charlesland, on down towards the sea at Woodlands/the driving range. The 10metre strip mentioned in the PP could easily accommodate a tarred footpath.
    Before the works started there was an old dirt path going across the IDA site and round the back of the railings of the water treatment plant to the Three Trout Stream bridge at Woodlands. From there a short path goes along the very end of the driving range straight to the beach. That would make it a five minute walk from Charlesland to the beach.
    Hey!thats my shortcut...but its still there..as you walj down the tarmac road towards the site..veer down towards the left hand corner the site offices should be on your right....its quiet overgrown and single file in places.it follows the boundry line of the treatment plant..exits at the little bridge near driving range...great shortcut tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

recedite wrote: »
    Hey!thats my shortcut :-)....but its still there..as you walk down the tarmac road towards the site..veer down towards the left hand corner the site offices should be on your right....its quiet overgrown and single file in places.it follows the boundry line of the treatment plant..exits at the little bridge near driving range...great shortcut tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 annie5

Anyone know what that huge new warehouse is on way from charlesland heading towards greystones village? just nosey!

annie5 wrote: »
    Anyone know what that huge new warehouse is on way from charlesland heading towards greystones village? just nosey!
    Its a factory and there is another thread about it here somewhere

Here is the link> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056594420

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Link here to the business behind it which are currently based out of Newtownmountkennedy: Procap in Ireland

Caption: PROCAP WICKLOW will move in late 2012 to a new plant near the former site on a plot of 27,000 m².

With the Group's growth, the current site reached saturation point. This investment of 8.5 million Euros will face the future calmly. Once fully extended, the additional capacity will triple the sales in a highly qualitative environment!

With their expansion perhaps a few extra jobs for the locale. :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement