Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to lodge money with Bank of Ireland

• 02-04-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I was in one of the Bank of Ireland branches today and attempted to lodge some money.

I attempted to lodge €19.80 - all of it in coins.

I had put them in the correct bags however each bag was not full, though the amount in each bag was written on the front.

I was told they were unable to accept the money when the bags were not full.

This happened before and after writing a letter to the bank I was told this was not the case and they should have accepted my money.

The next time I went to lodge money there was no problem with taking not full bags.

However they would not accept them today, and after explaining the above to them they just told me that they would not accept them.

Just venting. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

move to whiny bastard forum:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I thought they had to be full to a certain amount? Something to do with weight and sh!t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've lodged thousands of euros in coins over the years. Never had an issue.

Maybe you smell bad, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Just give it to charity.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've often banked half full bags with AIB. Switch to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

John Doe1 wrote: »

I wish there was one. :)

Doesn't help that it's only sour faced old bags that work in there either - very punch-able faces :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Oh whatever you do don't go in between 1-2 to lodge coins you'll get a right telling off too even if they are in the right bags.
    They just don't want to do coins full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

John Doe1 wrote: »

That's where we are...?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

If they wouldn't take it in bags, you should have counted it all out in front of them, coin by coin.
    I'm sure they'd quickly change their policy once the Q behind you grows.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Banks should have one of those machines that counts your coins and then prints a receipt so you can lodge it in your account. They have them in supermarkets but they are expensive to use as they take about 10% commission

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

19,80 you are so rich.

I generally get rid of my coins using the Tesco self service gismos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Ulster Bank have the same policy. They told me to go to the shop and get ny money changed and then they would lodge it....

... shower of useless flippin flunts

44leto wrote: »
    19,80 you are so rich.

I generally get rid of my coins using the Tesco self service gismos.

Well it was really just a way of getting rid of the coins.

Have no problem carrying around notes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Well it was really just a way of getting rid of the coins.

Have no problem carrying around notes :)

bring them to your local shop, they will have no problem taking them from you. Sometimes they are looking for coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

I'd take them out of the bags and leave them count it, legal tender and all that jazz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

on a slightly less whiney, petty, feck you and your €20 of coppers, note - Sky informed me today that they no longer accept payment by AIB credit card - wtf is that all about??? AIB in "our cards are becoming junk shocker"?? Oh, and OP, there's a machine in Tesco for povs to lodge their coppers into.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I've 20cent I could scan it in and send it on to you.

booboo88 wrote: »
    I'd take them out of the bags and leave them count it, legal tender and all that jazz

They can actually charge a handling cost. Banks are bank and robbing basterds in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Pottler wrote: »
    on a slightly less whiney, petty, feck you and your €20 of coppers, note - Sky informed me today that they no longer accept payment by AIB credit card - wtf is that all about??? AIB in "our cards are becoming junk shocker"??
    That sounds bizarre. Its either a Visa card or a MasterCard, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Next time go in. Tell them you want to lodge money into your account. Don't put them in separate bags. Get a tesco bag and fill it up with coins and pour it over the counter. That'll teach em.

• Advertisement

44leto wrote: »
    They can actually charge a handling cost. Banks are bank and robbing basterds in general.

Really?
    Id be inclined to close the acc and go with another bank being honest.

Although with odd money bags like that I usually put them into credit union:)

Really?

Have been thinking of switching for a while to be honest, though I've looked at other bank's websites and it seems there are no accounts available as simple as the one I have in BOI.

Just want a simple deposit account where I can lodge and withdraw as I like with no minimum deposit amounts, etc. but it seems they all have to have about €2000 in the account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Have been thinking of switching for a while to be honest, though I've looked at other bank's websites and it seems there are no accounts available as simple as the one I have in BOI.

Just want a simple deposit account where I can lodge and withdraw as I like with no minimum deposit amounts, etc. but it seems they all have to have about €2000 in the account.

Ptsb are pretty good. They have free banking. I've been with them a little over a year now and have paid less than a fiver in bank fees.

dvpower wrote: »
    That sounds bizarre. Its either a Visa card or a MasterCard, right?
    Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

In fairness, with all this talk of throwing a bag full of coins at a cashier to count etc, how many of you would lose the plot if someone in front of you in the queue did this? OP has two choices:

1. Go to one of the coin counter machines, exchange into notes and bring to bank

2. Fill the bank bags as they are meant to be filled ie. €10 worth of €0.10 coins

Makes everyone's lives easier, including your own as you don't have to argue with anyone or spend your afternoon on boards.ie moaning

We've really become a nation that plays the blame game at every single opportunity

Or you could switch banks if you feel they are going to miss your custom so much?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Zascar wrote: »
    Banks should have one of those machines that counts your coins and then prints a receipt so you can lodge it in your account. They have them in supermarkets but they are expensive to use as they take about 10% commission

Definitely these would be very handy.

I'm not economist or anything but i reckon there must be a trillion-zillion euro in 1 and 2c coins all over the houses of Ireland.

You can be damn sure I dont have 2000eur in my acc, im with permanent tsb.
    Aswell they used to have a cash save acc with just an atm card?

Really?

I was going to swap from AIB to BOI because AIB do not have a debit card service.

I get my wages lodged into the laser card and I use a credit card for internet shopping and some bills, as most sites don't take the Laser. My objection is I have to pay tax on both cards, its not much but its wrecks my head.

With a debit charge card I could get rid of the CC and the laser and just have one card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Zascar wrote: »

HSBC have those in some branches in the UK. Came in very handy a few times.

• Advertisement

HSBC have those in some branches in the UK. Came in very handy a few times.

This is Ireland, we're about 15 years behind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

OP, your name doesnt happen to be Philip J. Fry, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Stick it in a quick lodge, it'll piss someone off, but for so little its not worth their making a fuss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I wonder what they'd say if you went in with €999,999.99 in coins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Maybe you should ve try lodge it into the "BoI slush fund account"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats legal tender got to do with it? They dont have to take anything they dont want off you. Plus your not buying anything off them anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Very simple. Only full bags of the correct coin accepted. Don't mix coins in the one bag to make up the amount. I used to work in a bank and people thought they were being helpful by filling up the bag to the value with mixed coins. Eh it was not helpful. It was a load of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

daddydick wrote: »
    In fairness, with all this talk of throwing a bag full of coins at a cashier to count etc, how many of you would lose the plot if someone in front of you in the queue did this? OP has two choices:

1. Go to one of the coin counter machines, exchange into notes and bring to bank

2. Fill the bank bags as they are meant to be filled ie. €10 worth of €0.10 coins

Makes everyone's lives easier, including your own as you don't have to argue with anyone or spend your afternoon on boards.ie moaning

Exactly.

Jesus, what's the big problem with just counting the coins and making full bags like everyone else?

"I'm Billy Big Bo11ocks and I'm far too important to play by the rules. Here cashier, count that pile of $hit for me cos I couldn't be ar$ed."

Yea, maybe banks should have those change-counting machines that supermarkets have but they don't so, y'know...

you need to go in and lodge a few REALLY big cheques/drafts to get the full banking experience. When you dander in with €70 they take it off you with a puss on and crib about signatures/account numbers/no it's not in your name, blah blah. When you wander in with a whopper of a "feck off and lodge this ya wagon" cheque, they all but wipe your bottom for you - into the managers office for "advice" (ie give it to us, we will pi55 it up a wall on one of our high comission funds)- you also suddenly get a whole new banking experience from then on, like being apologised to for delays:D, being asked to take a comfy seat while they get a nice bankperson to run around and sort your paperwork - no queuing anymore! Also being able to wander into any of their branches, just give your name and when they ask for ID etc just say, "naah, I didn't bring any" (while also being dressed like a ditch digger) and still get sorted with bobs, and apologised to for the delay!. You could drop a bag of mixed Zlotys into the tray and they will smile through gritted teeth and count it. Gotta love the Bankers.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Pottler wrote: »
    you need to go in and lodge a few REALLY big cheques/drafts to get the full banking experience. When you dander in with €70 they take it off you with a puss on and crib about signatures/account numbers/no it's not in your name, blah blah. When you wander in with a whopper of a "feck off and lodge this ya wagon" cheque, they all but wipe your bottom for you - into the managers office for "advice" (ie give it to us, we will pi55 it up a wall on one of our high comission funds)- you also suddenly get a whole new banking experience from then on, like being apologised to for delays:D, being asked to take a comfy seat while they get a nice bankperson to run around and sort your paperwork - no queuing anymore! Also being able to wander into any of their branches, just give your name and when they ask for ID etc just say, "naah, I didn't bring any" (while also being dressed like a ditch digger) and still get sorted with bobs, and apologised to for the delay!. You could drop a bag of mixed Zlotys into the tray and they will smile through gritted teeth and count it. Gotta love the Bankers.

The above goes for any job...if you go into a car dealer do you expect the same treatment if you're buying a can of oil as when you are buying a Range Rover? It's business. I dont see your point?

Whats legal tender got to do with it? They dont have to take anything they dont want off you. Plus your not buying anything off them anyway.

So you cant lodge money in your OWN account, because they dont want to take it off you? Thats stupidity if I've ever heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

So you cant lodge money in your OWN account, because they dont want to take it off you? Thats stupidity if I've ever heard it.

And pay for the pleasure of it

They shouldn't be so up their arses to count money, whether it be coins or notes, it's their jobs FFS!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ptsb are same...by far worst actually

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I'm of the opinion that if they don't want to accept it they shouldn't issue it. Would be much better if we did away with all coppers and just rounded up or down to the nearest 10c. If we have so many coppers lying around unused they must be pretty worthless.

PinkFly wrote: »
    And pay for the pleasure of it

They shouldn't be so up their arses to count money, whether it be coins or notes, it's their jobs FFS!!!
    Its beyond a joke
    ptsb are same...by far worst actually

I beg to differ, Ive never had an issue lodging uneven money into my acc, that wouldnt have been counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭very

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    daddydick wrote: »

Exactly.

Jesus, what's the big deal with just counting the coins and making full bags like everyone else?

"I'm Billy Big Bo11ocks and I'm far too important to play by the rules. Here cashier, count that pile of $hit for me cos I couldn't be ar$ed."

Yea, maybe banks should have those change-countingi machines that supermarkets have but they don't so, y'know...

I did count it though, I had the amounts written in each bag.

very wrote: »
    I did count it though, I had the amounts written in each bag.

Yea, I know you weren't asking the cashiers to count it for you but it's still a nuisance for them to have bags with odd coins and values.

TBH, I wasn't really having a go at you with that post... ;)

Exactly.

Jesus, what's the big deal with just counting the coins and making full bags like everyone else?

Yea, maybe banks should have those change-counting machines that supermarkets have but they don't so, y'know...

This what theyre PAID to do, and quite well at that:rolleyes:

This what theyre PAID to do, and quite well at that:rolleyes:

No, tellers are paid to facilitate reasonable transactions and to ensure that the branches run efficiently. They're not there to count customers' pennies. Do you also think that street cleaners are there so that people can feel free to litter?

I like the :rolleyes: by the way. Really fcuking smug. Nice one.

Edit: By the way, what makes you think that tellers are paid well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The customer should count it or use a counting machine if it's a good lot of coinage. I don't see why tellers should do something a customer can do beforehand. It delays the queue and understandably pisses off the teller when it's so unnecessary. I wouldn't dream of getting a teller to count up a load of coins - I'd be embarrassed at the delay it would cause.

OP, you know how much it is - why not just spend it on essentials? Even in instalments? Say, half towards a bill, half towards groceries? If you've no bills due for a while, maybe go into the post office and put credit on the electricity, thus reducing the future bill?

Lol, bank tellers well paid?! :)

This is what's fun about AH - a job spec and a salary, made up by people who have no idea. :pac:

No, tellers are paid to facilitate reasonable transactions and to ensure that the branches run efficiently. They're not there to count customers' pennies. Do you also think that street cleaners are there so that people can feel free to litter?

I like the :rolleyes: by the way. Really fcuking smug. Nice one.

Edit: By the way, what makes you think that tellers are paid well?

fcking hell, talk about being sensitive.
    Yes I do know theyre paid quite well as I know a few people who are tellers in banks,
    and comparing street cleaners to bank tellers is like chalk and cheese ffs, its not offence to lodge money into your acc, well judging by your attitude it nearly bloody is.
    And op had already stated he had COUNTED the money himself, and yes they do have machines in banks that actually go by the weight of the coin bag,

like his for example
    http://www.cashcounters.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=38

so I suggest before you accuse someone of being smug, you look it up in the dictionary.

• Advertisement
Advertisement