Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to get Age Card because I don't have an ID

• 02-04-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

I ordered an Age Card application form last week.

So today I got the passport photos and looked for my birth certificate.

Went to the Garda station with the application form, photos, birth certificate and a baptismal certificate.

I was told that I couldn't get it as I don't have two forms of acceptable ID.

So I was told my best bet would be to apply for a passport.

So, they expect me to pay €80.00 so that I can get an Age Card which I then won't need, as the Passport is a form of ID?

Bloody joke in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do you not have a passport anyway? I thought everyone had one.

Passports are expensive to replace i think if you lose it more than twice they might not replace it. I use and age card as my id unless im travelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You, Sir, are not having a good day.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you not have a passport anyway? I thought everyone had one.

Nah, thats why I was getting an age card, it's about 70 euro cheaper and does the same job. Never travel anywhere anyway.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    You, Sir, are not having a good day.

You can say that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Nah, thats why I was getting an age card, it's about 70 euro cheaper and does the same job. Never travel anywhere anyway.

Then how did you get to the bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

You're surely going to need a passport at some point, so why not just get that?

Drivers license?

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Then how did you get to the bank?

What I meant was that I never travel abroad.

Oh, you were making a joke.

By walking, FYI :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Ah, the problems of a young drinking person.

.....i feel so old.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Rossgorry

They're obviously going to need some form of photo ID. You could be using anyones birth certificate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

It's bizarre. It's like how an expired passport doesn't count as a proper form of ID - it's still me like. There's an odd level of bureaucracy when it comes to ID for some reason.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Drivers license?

nope, don't have one of these either

• Registered Users Posts: 6 N1cola

hey

i had the same problem...but the thing is, you can't get a passport either without a form of id. My local guards told me that i had to get a signed letter from my GP so proof of id so maybe try this and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

http://www.agecard.ie/

You must have other ID, pps number, bank a/c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

poor baby :(

Id say get a passport, like King Of Moo says you will probably need one eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you need one of these

Multipass.jpg

hondasam wrote: »
    http://www.agecard.ie/

You must have other ID, pps number, bank a/c.

Yeah, I have a bank account but she said she wanted a photo ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Some companies only accept the age card, so a passport will be no use.

I'd go to a different cop shop, according to the age card site you only need one item of ID.

Yeah, I have a bank account but she said she wanted a photo ID.
    What documentation do I need to get my Age Card?
    You will need the following:
    • Your Birth Certificate or your GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) Card or your valid Passport (in date)
    • One other form of ID.
    • One recent passport photograph.

Go to a different Garda station or ask to speak to a different guard.

• Advertisement

Ah, the problems of a young drinking person.

.....i feel so old.:(

Sad thing is I don't even drink.

Want it for gambling LOL

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

How did you open a bank account without photo ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Sad thing is I don't even drink.

Want it for gambling LOL

Tell the guard that and they'll surely be sympathetic and give you the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

Grow a beard.

Cheaper option.

Had it opened for me by my grandparents when I was 9 or 10. Had nothing to do with it LOL

Maybe he tried to lodge the money in the garda station and looked for the Age card in the bank, I would not be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

nope, don't have one of these either
    Take the driver theory test and you'll get a provisional with photo id. Only costs about 40 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I remember when Tesco were only accepting Age Cards as Id. How do you think people got them?

Also very annoying when places don't take Age Cards and just Passports, they're Garda approved and are pretty hard to fake... the new ones anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

I ordered an Age Card application form last week.

So today I got the passport photos and looked for my birth certificate.

Went to the Garda station with the application form, photos, birth certificate and a baptismal certificate.

I was told that I couldn't get it as I don't have two forms of acceptable ID.

So I was told my best bet would be to apply for a passport.

So, they expect me to pay €80.00 so that I can get an Age Card which I then won't need, as the Passport is a form of ID?

Bloody joke in my opinion.

Just get the f*cking passport will you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Why would an 11 year old need an ID card? You should wait until you are older OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JeffK88

My girlfriend used a Work ID and brought proof of address . The garda accepted that. Even college ID might be worth giving a try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just get the f*cking passport will you.

No, the Israeli Secret Service will just forge it

I remember when I didn't want to bring out my passport on account of it only being valid for 2 years, I got away with my college I.D and a European Health card :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

What in the name of jaysus! I cringed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

No passport, no driving license, no photo ID... You could be anyone ffs. No wonder the Garda won't accept a few bits of paper with a name on them.

smash wrote: »
    No passport, no driving license, no photo ID... You could be anyone ffs. No wonder the Garda won't accept a few bits of paper with a name on them.

He has his Birth cert and his photo, he needs another form of ID, bank a/c, pps number should do. It does not state it requires photo ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

cocoshovel wrote: »

What in the name of jaysus! I cringed.
    Why? It's one of the things they accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭PammyD

This is from the age card site..

What documentation do I need to get my Age Card?
    You will need the following:
    • Your Birth Certificate or your GNIB (Garda National Immigration Bureau) Card or your valid Passport (in date)
    • One other form of ID.
    • One recent passport photograph.

It does not state that the ID must be picture ID!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

You don't need a form of photo ID, the Garda can write "personally known" on the form, where it looks for details of the ID produced.

If you know, or any of your family know a local Garda look to speak to them. My sister had the same issue and this is what they did for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Lima Golf wrote: »
    You don't need a form of photo ID, the Garda can write "personally known" on the form, where it looks for details of the ID produced.

If you know, or any of your family know a local Garda look to speak to them. My sister had the same issue and this is what they did for her.

they can write whatever they want.. but it wont be accepted by the processing office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

they can write whatever they want.. but it wont be accepted by the processing office[/Quote]

She got her age card...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Op, you can apply online through here https://www.agecard.ie/terms.html
    I think you still end up having to go into the Garda Station if memory serves but at least you'll have a print out saying what you have is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Superbus wrote: »
    It's bizarre. It's like how an expired passport doesn't count as a proper form of ID - it's still me like. There's an odd level of bureaucracy when it comes to ID for some reason.

That's because young ones were selling their drivers licences and expired passports over in Ibiza.
    N1cola wrote: »
    hey

i had the same problem...but the thing is, you can't get a passport either without a form of id. My local guards told me that i had to get a signed letter from my GP so proof of id so maybe try this and hope for the best.

You can get a passport without ID as long as you can satisfy the Garda as to your identity
    hondasam wrote: »
    He has his Birth cert and his photo, he needs another form of ID, bank a/c, pps number should do. It does not state it requires photo ID.

I could steal your birth cert and bring it in with my photo but that doesn't make me you.
    bubblefett wrote: »
    Op, you can apply online through here https://www.agecard.ie/terms.html
    I think you still end up having to go into the Garda Station if memory serves but at least you'll have a print out saying what you have is fine.

It doesn't matter. No Garda will sign it unless they are satisifed as to his identity.

The purpose of the age card was for people who don't want to carry around their licence or passport for fear of losing them. That's why you are expected to have another form of ID already.

MagicSean wrote: »

I could steal your birth cert and bring it in with my photo but that doesn't make me you.

This is true Sean but what are the chances of you stealing my birth cert, pps number with address on it, bank details with address on it, unless we were the same sex and age or close enough the birth cert would be useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I really recommend just getting a passport. They last for 10 years once you hit 18. You might not be going anywhere right now, but in the next few years? You also generally have to produce one when you get a job anyway. By all means don't use it as ID if you don't trust yourself not to lose it. But you can then use it to get the garda ID with no hassle and use that for ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Want it for gambling LOL

Unless they win, gambling is for losers :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

The same guard isn't going to sign his passport forms if he won't sign his age card form.

You will need to get someone that knows a guard to come in with you the next time to verify you are who you say you are. If you have any bank statements, pay slips, p60 or p45 bring them as well.

I know a guy that lost his licence and passport abroad. He lives in dublin but grew up in Kildare. He tried to get a replacement passport and licence in dublin but they wouldn't sign the forms for him. He had to go home to his fathers local garda station to get the bloody things signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,050 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smash wrote: »

But the OP is trying to get ID. The Garda won't accept the forms that where offered, which are all that's required according to the AgeCard Site.

You can get a passport without ID as long as you can satisfy the Garda as to your identity

It doesn't matter. No Garda will sign it unless they are satisifed as to his identity.

You're saying that the OP is silly trying to apply for an Age Card without ID and should apply for a Passport.
    With a view to preventing identity theft and the circulation of falsified passports, additional safeguards are being introduced into the passport application procedure for adult first time applicants and for those adults seeking to replace a lost/stolen passport. With effect from 17 January 2011, adult applicants in these categories will be required to submit the following additional evidence in support of their passport application:

a completed and suitably witnessed passport application form and four photographs, (two of which must have the application form number written on the reverse and be signed by an approved witness);
    the long form birth certificate of the applicant and a civil marriage certificate, if appropriate, and evidence of entitlement to Irish citizenship ,where applicable;
    additional form of photo-identification; e.g. certified copy of a drivers licence, work ID; student card; social club membership; passport from other country etc.;
    documentary evidence to show use of name, e.g. payslips; records of unemployment or disability payment; bank statement; college registration etc.; and
    evidence of residency at the application address, e.g. utility bills; official correspondence from public or private sector etc.

And the worst thing is that a Garda advised the OP to get a PP when they can't, they need the Age Card to get the PP.

Though they could apply for a learners permit
    What your application or renewal should include

A completed application form ( D201), which can be obtained from your local Motor tax office, Library or Garda station.
    Two passport-type photographs (signed on back)
    Your current or most recent driving licence (if you hold a driving licence or held one within the previous 10 years) and/or:
    your current/most recent learner permit (if you hold a current learner permit or held one within the previous five years – unless your most recent learner permit has been superseded by the issue of a driving licence)
    The appropriate fee

The following may also be required:

An original birth certificate/passport
    An original certificate of registration
    An medical report D501 form (if your are downloading the Medical Report form you must print it back to back)
    An eyesight D502 form
    Evidence that you underwent a driving test in the last two years if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit
    Evidence of a forthcoming driving test if applying for a third or subsequent learner permit and you havr not sat a driving set in the last two years
    Lost licence declaration
    Theory test certificate

But then the OP could just steal* the required stuff from MagicSean and get ID in their name, since drivers licences can be fully done through post. At least the Age Card requires someone who looks like the picture to front up to the Garda station.

* They don't even have to do this, they can just apply online and get MagicSean's long from Birthcert, which leads to a Drivers licence then they get a PassPort etc.

The purpose of the age card was for people who don't want to carry around their licence or passport for fear of losing them. That's why you are expected to have another form of ID already.

No the purpose of the age card was to remove the loop hole where underage people where using are easily forged Drivers licences/permits for ID purposes, since you rightly pointed out PPs are too valuable to carry on the p!ss. So our wise leaders decided to introduce a low cost, hard to forge ID for people young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

recyclebin wrote: »
    The same guard isn't going to sign his passport forms if he won't sign his age card form.

He will if he knows him and is satisfied as to his identity.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    But the OP is trying to get ID. The Garda won't accept the forms that where offered, which are all that's required according to the AgeCard Site.

No. You also need a form of photo ID. It says it on the site

• One other form of ID

You're saying that the OP is silly trying to apply for an Age Card without ID and should apply for a Passport.

And the worst thing is that a Garda advised the OP to get a PP when they can't, they need the Age Card to get the PP.

Are you even reading the stuff you are posting. That requirement for photo ID is only for adults that have never had a passport or claim theirs was lost or stolen. And it says nothing about an age card, it allows all photo Id including work and student ID.
    But then the OP could just steal* the required stuff from MagicSean and get ID in their name, since drivers licences can be fully done through post. At least the Age Card requires someone who looks like the picture to front up to the Garda station.

You must have a theroy test completed to apply for a driving licence and the theory test has it's own requirements for photos and ID. But you are correct, it is technically possible to get a learners permit without producing any form of photo ID.
    * They don't even have to do this, they can just apply online and get MagicSean's long from Birthcert, which leads to a Drivers licence then they get a PassPort etc.

Again you are correct, if someone knows all the details of your birth it would seem they can apply for a birth cert followed by a theroy test and then a licence in your name. But in order to receive those items they will have to provide both their photo and address and credit card details so it's a risky venture.
    No the purpose of the age card was to remove the loop hole where underage people where using are easily forged Drivers licences/permits for ID purposes, since you rightly pointed out PPs are too valuable to carry on the p!ss. So our wise leaders decided to introduce a low cost, hard to forge ID for people young people.

Advertisement