Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing your dog running with you ?

• 02-04-2012 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭

Just wonder do many people on here do it ?
    and how you find it .

I started running properly back in jan and tried bringing the dog out with me but she kept on going too fast and tugging on the lead and making the run uncomfortable and i would keep losing my pace etc.

Have felt very guilty since over not bringing her, so last week i bought her a halti harness and training lead, must say huge difference went for my second run with her now today and within 5 mins she had decided running faster and tugging on the lead was uncomfortable for her so she kept perfect pace :D

Very enjoyable experience getting your exercise and the dog at the same time, shes a collie so a run for me is really a fast trot for her.

Halti harness and training lead is the way to go :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yes, I do canicross with mine, wouldn't run with a halti on, I embrace the pulling:D Mine wear a shoulder harness, a bungee lead and are attached to a belt around my waist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I take my two out with me. We've been doing the couch to 5k three times a week, since January and we're now hitting the 25 minute mark, so well happy. It's quite hilly around where I live just to add to difficulties.
    We had both dogs checked by the vet first, and as we worked up the pace and distance together I think they've enjoyed it, But yes they are on haltis too.
    As one of mine is a jack russell/cavalier spaniel cross, so very small, I occassionally get dirty looks off people, but in all honesty my jog is my husbands walk, so we're not exactly steaming it along. It's defo not too much for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Mine runs with me 2-3 times a week. The longest was 11 miles. I was knackered for 3 days after while she was ready to go again the next morning :rolleyes:
    Mostly it's 3 -4 mile slow runs.
    If we're in the woods I use the canicross set up that ISDW mentioned but if we're on the road she sometimes lunges at cars and it's harder to control her so like you (OP) I sometimes just use the front clip harness either with the regular lead or clipped into the canicross belt. I just have more contol of her then.

I did try running with her wearing a headcollar which didn't work as she tended to stop suddenly to try to take it off.... sudden stops while running downhill :eek: ended up with me having to hurdle the dog .

and yes i feel really guilty if I go out without her :o Mine can be a bit of a pain though as her terrier-ness means she doesn't run in straight lines but is trying to jump over walls, through hedges etc and god help us if she sees a duck! That's where the belt makes it so much easier, not getting my arm and shoulder pulled this way and that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Im just doing 5k+ at the moment with her but its not a bother to her, only thing im careful of is not to bring her out when its too hot or sunny , as shes mostly black and does heat up easily on sunny days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I started jogging a few months ago but had to stop, himself is flying fit and could run rings around me but my knees give me too much bother. :( I use a halti walking him and jogging sometimes I either use a halti or just change over to a plain collar, depends what sort of a mood he's in. Not entirely following the couch to 5k program but was doing something similar so we could both build up fitness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

I'm doing the C25k with my boy at the moment- he's a mini JR/chihuahua cross but he's the energy of a grown JR, runs circles around me. Though no doubt people think we look odd, my jog is pretty slow so perfect for him.
    I use a his harness and extending lead and he's brilliant with them, if he drops behind, a quick call and he's legging it out in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

i took my fella out for a run last week, i wasnt sure he'd be fit for it, haha he was fit for it, happily trotted along next to me, when i finished off with some sprinting he still trotted along beside me and when my hamstring snapped and i fell to the ground in agony he stood around patiently, slightly embarassed that his dad is such a fool not to have stretched properly. i had him in a hardness with an extendable lead so pulling wasnt a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Dammit! So jealous! I got a lab retreiver at in January. She's only four months old. A large part was that I wanted a dog I could run with. But i discovered quickly that you can't take them running with you for a year and half until their hips settle in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Camarillo Brillo

I have two labs, and have been running with them both for the last 3 years 25-50k per week depending on time of year. I live in the country so go forest running and dont need leads, when its dark I put lights on their collars and carry a torch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

It'd be hard for to get a decent run in if I had a doggie with me, I'd have to stop every few minutes to give him a cuddle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

peteb2 wrote: »
    Dammit! So jealous! I got a lab retreiver at in January. She's only four months old. A large part was that I wanted a dog I could run with. But i discovered quickly that you can't take them running with you for a year and half until their hips settle in. :(
    Spend this time training her perfectly not to pull the lead, my one only was giving it a slight pull but its enough for you to lose your rhythm when running and ends up being annoying.
    You could also get her used to commands , luckily the collie in my dog loves the different commands and is catching on quickly. such as saying "left" or "right" when coming up to a turn , or "go in front" if the footpath gets too narrow for side by side running very useful and can help ensure she doesnt get in the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I have two labs, and have been running with them both for the last 3 years 25-50k per week depending on time of year. I live in the country so go forest running and dont need leads, when its dark I put lights on their collars and carry a torch.
    Thats good to hear. My shepherd / collie cross can outrun anything on four legs. I have a lab pup who will be adult shortly and was hoping to run the two of them but had worries about the poor lab keeping up. I didn't think they'd make a good running dog tbh. She certainly wont keep up with the shepherd but neither will I so thats not a problem. I pass serveral rivers when currently walking them, is it a good idea to let them in to cool off / drink mid run or is allowing them to drink asking for trouble if they jog / sprint again straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

ISDW wrote: »
    Yes, I do canicross with mine, wouldn't run with a halti on, I embrace the pulling:D Mine wear a shoulder harness, a bungee lead and are attached to a belt around my waist.

When we go running in the woods we bring our two with us.
    We use the same as mentioned by ISDW with our collie X. Our Bichon comes with us as well and runs beside us and is usually the hardest one to tire out!

You can use the time to get some training in. Canicross is a growing sport here, it is huge on the continent, and its good if your dog knows left and right and a few other commands, such as on by, to go past distractions. These can all be taught whilst the dog is too young to actually run. Theres a FB group now, Canicross in Ireland that is promoting the sport here, and is working with race organisers to allow people to run with their dogs in organised races, you have to start at the back of the field, but its a huge step forward for the sport.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Bring my collie/springer x running with me although not on the roads, would affect both mine and her joints too much. I use one of the jogging belts with an elasticated lead attached to her collar, she doesn't pull much at all, maybe a little at the start with her enthusiasm but she gradually settles back to my pace. But reading up about it after seeing this thread, I might consider a harness in the case of falls or something so that there isn't unnecessary pressure being put on the neck.

One of the things I do kind of regret is that I might have started running with her a bit young although my running really would be less than what she'd have done off lead so I shouldn't be too critical of myself and it was never on the road.

I also bring her orienteering with me and we get some funny but amused looks! She's again on the lead which can cause some fun when we have to go off path and she goes under a tree and I have to go over. But from training I do with her she knows 'over', 'through', 'wait' (slows down) 'stop' 'way on' (to go on in front) as well as her lefts and rights. She's even started catching on that it's the orange & white flags we're looking for, one time I was having a lot of trouble locating one, and she raised her nose, sniffed and indicated in its direction, she was spot on :-) She's great in some ways as she keeps me paced but as we progress through the course (about 5k usually), she wants to find the muckiest puddle around to lie down in and cool off, I don't mind the clock time anymore as it's worth it to have a nice tired dog for the rest of the day :-)

Anyone got recommendations for a lightweight harness for running that will be comfortable but not too restrictive or rub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

She's even started catching on that it's the orange & white flags we're looking for, one time I was having a lot of trouble locating one, and she raised her nose, sniffed and indicated in its direction, she was spot on :-)
    Cheat :eek: :D

Gosh hadn't thought of that one.....now to go training ;)

I run most days with the dog, but he really knows how to make me feel guilty when I return from an O event having not taken him.

I'm in country and his run is off lead apart from 4 minutes on the road

dmg10 wrote: »
    Bring my collie/springer x running with me although not on the roads, would affect both mine and her joints too much. I use one of the jogging belts with an elasticated lead attached to her collar, she doesn't pull much at all, maybe a little at the start with her enthusiasm but she gradually settles back to my pace. But reading up about it after seeing this thread, I might consider a harness in the case of falls or something so that there isn't unnecessary pressure being put on the neck.

One of the things I do kind of regret is that I might have started running with her a bit young although my running really would be less than what she'd have done off lead so I shouldn't be too critical of myself and it was never on the road.

I also bring her orienteering with me and we get some funny but amused looks! She's again on the lead which can cause some fun when we have to go off path and she goes under a tree and I have to go over. But from training I do with her she knows 'over', 'through', 'wait' (slows down) 'stop' 'way on' (to go on in front) as well as her lefts and rights. She's even started catching on that it's the orange & white flags we're looking for, one time I was having a lot of trouble locating one, and she raised her nose, sniffed and indicated in its direction, she was spot on :-) She's great in some ways as she keeps me paced but as we progress through the course (about 5k usually), she wants to find the muckiest puddle around to lie down in and cool off, I don't mind the clock time anymore as it's worth it to have a nice tired dog for the rest of the day :-)

Anyone got recommendations for a lightweight harness for running that will be comfortable but not too restrictive or rub?

I use the Manmat long distance shoulder harnesses. You can get them from various places on the internet, I recommend countryhounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dmg10

Mothman wrote: »
    Cheat :eek: :D

Gosh hadn't thought of that one.....now to go training ;)

I run most days with the dog, but he really knows how to make me feel guilty when I return from an O event having not taken him.

I'm in country and his run is off lead apart from 4 minutes on the road

I know :D I got her to start 'speaking' at them the other day too. I think she'd probably be banned from the official competitions though:D

I keep her on lead alright for the O, mainly as it's 'in the O rules', plus with so many children around, I just don't want any parent ever saying she bowled them over when running although she's very good. The other thing is, she just might go off on the trail of a rabbit if she gets it into her head and I'm not willing to forgo the clock time!! But if it was a more technical difficult area to get around and not so many people out I'd have no issue letting her off as she's very good (most of the time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭BullBauld

I was planning to start doing some running/jogging soon and bringing my 10 month Airedale along with me. This isn't advisable then at his age?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Camarillo Brillo

Thats good to hear. My shepherd / collie cross can outrun anything on four legs. I have a lab pup who will be adult shortly and was hoping to run the two of them but had worries about the poor lab keeping up. I didn't think they'd make a good running dog tbh. She certainly wont keep up with the shepherd but neither will I so thats not a problem. I pass serveral rivers when currently walking them, is it a good idea to let them in to cool off / drink mid run or is allowing them to drink asking for trouble if they jog / sprint again straight away?

Don't know how you'd stop them drinking even if you wanted to, mine always drink from puddles and one of them jumps in the river to cool off at the exact same spot everyday, never had any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Is there a particular belt and bungee system anyone uses on their waist when running. Or do you make them up yourself. I was going to start trotting with the jrt and work my way up to my gsd as I get fitter.
    We bikejore with the GSD at the mo. I have a damaged lower back and a jolt sudden jolt could take me out for days.

gud4u wrote: »
    Is there a particular belt and bungee system anyone uses on their waist when running. Or do you make them up yourself. I was going to start trotting with the jrt and work my way up to my gsd as I get fitter.
    We bikejore with the GSD at the mo. I have a damaged lower back and a jolt sudden jolt could take me out for days.

I use a nordkyn padded belt and a manmat bungee lead, and a manmat long distance shoulder harness. The belts are actually supposed to go around the hips, but any I've ever used move up onto the waist, but you can get some with leg straps, to keep them in place.

www.countryhounds.ie sell the set up that I have, www.culpeppers.co.uk do them, and so do www.snowpawstore.co.uk and Kissi, don't know their web address, but i'm sure if you google it, you'll find it, and there are a few facebook pages that do the belts, but not many do the bungee leads. Willows Leads on FB are good, I've bought normal leads and collars from her. Theres a FB group called Mushers Exchange, that is a place for selling/exchanging all sorts of mushing and dog gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

BullBauld wrote: »
    I was planning to start doing some running/jogging soon and bringing my 10 month Airedale along with me. This isn't advisable then at his age?

I would wait until your dog is a year anyway and just to be really safe I would say it to your vet if you are going for vacs.
    You can start teaching some commands on your walks now though- basically just be your dogs sat nav and every turn you take say left or right before making a very obvious left or right turn, also when you are about to stop say 'stop' etc it will come in very handy when you do start to run. Repition on walks now should be enough to teach your dog these commands.
    gud4u wrote: »
    I use the belt with the leg straps that ISDW mentioned, I have also used the padded belts- if you have lower back problems I would be more inclined to use a belt with leg straps- the 'pull' of the dog is ditributed better IMO, the bungee will also take the shock out of any sudden jolts. Just take it easy to begin with.

If anyone is thinking of starting canicross or run with their dogs at the minute there is a thread in this section about a fun run walk in May.

Advertisement