Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunger Games NOT for young teenagers

Options
  • 02-04-2012 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Brought my 11yo girl to see Hunger games, They said it would be fine for her to watch as I was present also there were other kids there her age.

Its not a move for young kids.. Maybe 15 for starting viewing. Where they got 12a rating I don't know

Its a Good movie.. Just very shocking.. And then the Suicide pact at the end wasn't a good note for teenagers.

So view with discretion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

11 is not a "Young teenager", that's a preteen. A 13 year old (13 being the minimum age you can get into a 12a movie without a parent) would be much more mentally prepared for that movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    Its not a move for young kids.. Maybe 15 for starting viewing. Where they got 12a rating I don't know

Having read the books I was disappointed at how toned down the movie actually was, but in saying that - what was shown was definitely not suitable for an 11 year old.
    I particularly thought the bloody brick scene was nasty even though you dont see what the brick is hitting.
    The book is clear that the suicide pact is not really a suicide pact but a bluff to force the hand of the gamemakers - but this is not clear in the film at all.

I agree that 12a is the wrong rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

hungers games wasnt suitable for your child.
    as a parent its up to you to decide whats right for your child not a man sitting in an office in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

11 is not a "Young teenager", that's a preteen. A 13 year old (13 being the minimum age you can get into a 12a movie without a parent) would be much more mentally prepared for that movie.

12A Films classified in this category are considered to be suitable for those of twelve and upwards. They may also be seen by younger children provided a parent or adult guardian accompanies them.

Yes I agree. I Shouldn't have brought my Daughter.

But the rating is too low.,

opti76 wrote: »
    hungers games wasnt suitable for your child.
    as a parent its up to you to decide whats right for your child not a man sitting in an office in dublin.

Yes... I know. But if it had say been rated 15 then it would be clearer.

the rating was too low. Again I didn't think it would be "SAW meets X-FACTOR" in a movie with a rating 12a. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

No, the rating is grand. The rating means that if your child is 12 and upwards, it's fine for them to watch.

However, if the child is younger, it is left to the parents' discretion as to whether or nor their child is mature enough to watch such a movie.

if you had genuine concerns, you should've done some research before deciding your child could watch it. Any small level of research into The Hunger Games would've shown you that there were violence and other themes that might not be suitable for your child.

This is not the IFCO's fault.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    No, the rating is grand. The rating means that if your child is 12 and upwards, it's fine for the to watch.

However, if the child is younger, it is left to the parents' discretion as to whether or nor their child is mature enough to watch such a movie.

if you had genuine concerns, you should've done some research before deciding your chils could watch it. Any small level of research into The Hunger Games would've shown you that there were violence and other themes that might not be suitable for your child.

This is not the IFCO's fault.

Well hopefully this thread will help other parents make a decision. Its not for under 12s even with an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,195 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Well hopefully this thread will help other parents make a decision. Its not for under 12s even with an adult.

It's not for SOME under 12s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

In related news, a documentary called 'Bully' was given an 'R' rating in the US (equivalent of an '18' rating here). The documentary follows a few kids who are bullied and shows how it affects them in daily life.

The result is that in theory, The Hunger Games can be shown in schools but a film showing the damage caused by bullying can't.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1682181

Blood, guts & murders are ok for kids, but an anti-bullying message isn't. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Yeah, if you're annoyed at the 12a film then it's your own fault for bringing your 11 year old to see it. The movie is rated 12a for the reason that the IFCO think it's suitable for children over 12. And a lot of people have over stated any violence in the film, there's no way it is comparible to "Saw meets X Factor". The movie is quite bland really in the field of violence as far as similar films go, bar the suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My 12 year old watched it, and 5 other kids in her class watched it some were 11 think there was even a 5 year old in there... There was nothing major in it, I watched 18 movies at that age. Tbh the film was disappointing could of done with been upgraded to 15 or 18 with more gore and more depth between peeta and katniss. Wasn't as violent as Jurassic park....

I took my daughter and 2 of her friends to see fright night last year that was a 15a. No big deal... Depends on the child and their level of maturity. The parents of the kids I took along were ok for their kids to see the film without an adult but because they weren't 15 I went in with them, ( there was a 2 year old in with his parents too it was the late screening now that was too young)

the same kids i took to the cinema also watched the movie lady in black and they got in without an adult present that was a 15. ( I have no intention of seeing that film) but whatever floats your boat.....

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

God... The lack of spoilers in here, is very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

My 12 year old watched it, and 5 other kids in her class watched it some were 11 think there was even a 5 year old in there... There was nothing major in it, I watched 18 movies at that age. Tbh the film was disappointing could of done with been upgraded to 15 or 18 with more gore and more depth between peeta and katniss. Wasn't as violent as Jurassic park....

A five year old in a movie with a bloody brick hitting someone, and a suicide pact? I don't agree with that. They are like sponges at that age. Sponges with no filters (moral or otherwise)

I think Jurassic Park gets rated differently as it is dinosaurs and not people hurting people.

My son's only 7, and I watched the likes of Spider-man (allowed) and Lord of the Rings (not allowed!) before I would let him see them, and they are both 12s. I think sometimes as adults we forget how much of an effect these things can have on children. I saw an episode of Murder She Wrote when I was about 5 and had nightmares for about two years:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

But the rating is too low.,

In your opinion.

The rating allows parents to make up their own mind for their children. It's called parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

mirekb wrote: »
    A five year old in a movie with a bloody brick hitting someone, and a suicide pact? I don't agree with that. They are like sponges at that age. Sponges with no filters (moral or otherwise)

I think Jurassic Park gets rated differently as it is dinosaurs and not people hurting people.

My son's only 7, and I watched the likes of Spider-man (allowed) and Lord of the Rings (not allowed!) before I would let him see them, and they are both 12s. I think sometimes as adults we forget how much of an effect these things can have on children. I saw an episode of Murder She Wrote when I was about 5 and had nightmares for about two years:D

The suicide pact was nothing major they could have done it with more emotion it was very bland would a 5 year old pick ou on a suicide pact ? Depending on the child.

In Jurassic park a guy gets eaten by a dinosaur while screaming his head off, think that would be a little more dramatic that would have a longer lasting impression then one saying have a few berries....

Depends on the child and depends on the parent, they are only guidelines after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

You don't need a thread like this to make a decision about whether or not to bring your child to see a film that's about kids being forced to fight to the death until there is only one remaining.

The very premise demands a little research if your child is young or sensitive.

There are loads of resources to help parents make these kinds of choices without even having to see the film, I think this site will be helpful to you in future OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

mirekb wrote: »

To be fair Romeo + Juliet [Baz Luhrmann version from 1996] got a 12's rating and the whole focus of that film is the suicide pact. Having read the book and gone to see the film last night have to say I found both to be utterly bland and boring esp when compared to similar themed books like Battle Royal [the film version of that quite rightly got an 18's cert]

The 'suicide pact' is hardly much of a pact and more of a rash choice made under harsh conditions unlike Rome and Juliet were it's very much the focal point, not the pretend to be dead plan but the ending were Juliet opts to die rather then live without her 'love' for me that's a far more horrible message for young tweens and teens then what is shown in the hunger games.

You did not see someone being hit with a bloody brick - we see a man lying motionless and we see another man holding a brick shiny with blood - it's not dripping blood, nor is there bloody gushing from the beaten man.

The film certs are there as guides only. This is a major motion picture release with plenty of information freely available and easy to find on it's contents. It would take all of 5 mins to check the film on a film or parenting site in order to make the choice wither to see it or allow someone in your care to see it. IMDB has a very detailed description and breakdown of every scene that was marked as violent. I was a massive film buff as a child back in the early 80's and my parents had to really make an effort to research all the films I asked to go see [paid off as I know work full time in the film industry] so todays parents have no excuse to whinge after the fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

In my opinion anyone bringing children to movies should research the movie. Read some reviews, maybe watch a few trailers. Find out the general guist of the story.

If you are bringing a child under 12 to a movie rated as suitable for children over the age of 12 unless accompanied then you need to research it.

I had to read this book for my book club - and my elder daughter (18) read it - my younger (12) daughter's class and in fact the whole of 4th 5th and 6th class seemed to be reading it.

I saw the movie with my book club and then yesterday brought my daughers and my younger daughter's friend (11) to it. And sure there were moments when they cried (when Katnis steps forward at the reaping... and again when Rue dies)... but we went knowing what the story was.

I think informing yourself is important and have always done this when deciding what books and films I allowed my children to see.

I dont think just lumping all 11year olds in together and saying this movie is unsuitable is at all helpful. Its a horrible story, and a horrible horrible idea. But if you talk to them about it and remind them how horrible it is ... it can be a lesson learnt.

None of the children I know who are reading the books really get how horrid it is. They are just jumping on the band wagon of the latest craze - and at least this female lead is a hero - not like last years one who just curled up and wept whenever her vampire boyfriend went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

OP - when your child is studing the Diary of Anne Frank - which most schools do at age 11 or 12 ... will you say this is also unsuitable. Because there is a lot of death in that too.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

A number of children had asked me if I had the book and could they borrow it, so I did a bit of research as to whether it was a suitable book for the school library,didn't buy it.

It's not the fault of the cinema that you made the wrong choice for your child.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

OP, I think you're underestimating children here.

The Diary of Anne Frank mentioned above is a fantastic example. I read it for school when I was in 4th class (age 8) and did lots of research on WW2. I think it's far more unsettling and disturbing for children to learn about the horrible crimes which actually happened than to watch a story which is completely fictional. Children of this age are capable of telling the difference.

In 6th class, I read (again for class) a book called Reaching the Heights which contains
    woman-beating, loan sharks, crime, drugs, alcohol and violence. http://omahonys.ie/catalog/reaching-the-heights-textbook-activity-book-p-69742.html

I didn't really think there was anything too unsuitable in The Hunger Games. I t was actually pretty tamed down. It may have been unsuitable for your daughter in particular but I think it's unfair of you to presume it's unsuitable for all 12 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

totally depends on the child...I think its funny parents will make a point of not letting their child watch X because they think its too violent but have no problem letting them see all sorts of violence on the news on in tv shows or video games.

I think context is a big thing, now I am not familiar with the Hunger Games but I gather its not glorified violence and there is a bigger picture to look at.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Lace, you were 8 in fourth????What age were you starting school????:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Apologies!! It's a long time since I was in school! :P I would have been 9 or 10!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

My daughter is 9 and I sometimes let her watch films with a 12 rating. I usually google the movie beforehand and find out the reason for the rating. Usually it's mild swearing or sex. So i know she'll be ok with that.
    She is sensitive to violence and scary atmosphere though so i wouldn't let her see hunger games, again because I researched it and found the reasoning behind the 12s certification.

She read books about Anne Frank and Cleopatra etc. so she was allowed to watch the boy in the striped pajamas (12A) because she had a grasp of what wars are and of what happened in WW2.

ETA - OP, if you go on IMDB.com and look up a film, there is a classification guide which details the exact moments in the folm, under different headings such as sex/profanity/violence/alcohol/smoking/frightening or intense scenes etc.
    It can kind of ruin the film a bit but it's worth it if you think a film might be too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Lace, you were 8 in fourth????What age were you starting school????:D:D

I was 8 starting 4th class :o

(only for a month and then I turned 9 - my ma couldn't wait to be rid of me out of the house so I started school really early :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

ash23 wrote: »
    I was 8 starting 4th class :o

(only for a month and then I turned 9 - my ma couldn't wait to be rid of me out of the house so I started school really early :p)

Yeah, I was 7-8 in 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yeah, I was 7-8 in 4th

Did you skip a class or something? :confused:

I started school at three, so I'd have been eight going into fourth class.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Did you skip a class or something? :confused:

I started school at three, so I'd have been eight going into fourth class.

junior&senior infants, 4th&5th year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

bluewolf wrote: »
    junior&senior infants, 4th&5th year

That's a bit mad! How come? (If you don't mind me asking!!)

Advertisement