Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Tom or garmin?

• 02-04-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭

Any advice on which one to get?

Both are the same price. Any idea which has live traffic updates? or which downloads all maps onto the phone as I would use it abroad and dont want it to be using data.

also widescreen mounts any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

afatbollix wrote: »
    Any advice on which one to get?

Both are the same price. Any idea which has live traffic updates? or which downloads all maps onto the phone as I would use it abroad and dont want it to be using data.

also widescreen mounts any advice?

Ive used the TOM TOM on the iPhone 3gs and 4 and it definitely downloads the maps to the phones. I bought the tom-tom cradle for the iPhone 4 last year but only because I had a voucher for a shop selling them. It worked flawlessly for me in Spain last year when the charger for my garmin packed in, and I had my data switched off for the duration of the trip and it failed to loose signal at all. The google search is great though and that does use a bit of data while searching. Ive used the garmin from the jailbreak thingy and didn't find it as good which is funny because in the actual physical satnavs I prefer the Garmin.

The tom-tom satnav works fine from any holder but I found their holder to be very handy because of the charging and the bluetooth kit built in. The phone uses a good bit of battery power while using satnav..

In contrast though I believe some of the free satnav programs run very well too and these might be worth a check out before shelling out 89 quid on an app :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

i actually went with Co-pilot

Found it very good in Ireland

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

Found tomtom one of the best IMO , it's a 100% spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭jamesd

Using TomTom on 4s and find it brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Same here for TomTom...with the holder as well it's fantastic but you're coming close to the price of a dedicated gps kit.

On a sidenote I used it in Poland to go from Lodz to Warsaw as the taxi driver wasn't sure where the hotel was in Warsaw....loaded up TomTom on the iphone and it took us straight to the door...I have the full europe version though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

tomtom is the best, the google search makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

TomTom is my favourite aswell, only UK & Ireland maps on mine though :(
    Best UI ive seen yet on a satnav app, so easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Navigon - I have used it extensively as well as Tom Tom and its a far superior sat nav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Victor_M wrote: »
    Navigon - I have used it extensively as well as Tom Tom and its a far superior sat nav

+1 for Navigon! ... tried them all - then bought this!

Advertisement