Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars Kinect

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Ok, OP here and I have to take issue with some of the earlier comments. I'm not defending the game, although it isn't as bad as some of the reviews and the nerdraging are making out. Ok, it's bad but it's not as soul destroying as some commentors make out.

The first bad decision the devs of this game made was marketing it towards adults and SW nerds. They should never have unveiled it at E3 and they should have only advertised it on kids tv because it's only a kids game, from start to finish.
    It might be something fun for kids, but do kids of this generations even interested in Starwars or even know wtf it is?
    In my opinion Starwars as franchise is only viable for older generation who love SW as nostalgia trip or just generally SW nerds. This game shoots in to some non existent space.

* I know there are kids who know what Starwars are, but let's be honest, not many of them out there.

You obviously have never seen the Clone Wars TV show, never noticed the Star Wars stuff taking up half the Lego sections in toy shops nor the entire aisle that the likes of Smyths devote to Star Wars. It's huge. Every kid I know loves it and most are obsessed by it.
    gizmo wrote: »
    Won't stop LucasArts from pushing in that direction though. Did you see this monstrosity? :(

Snip Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace-Kids Trailer

That trailer is clearly marked 'Kids Trailer', in fairness and I suspect that it aired in the states during Clone Wars ad breaks. It's not for you so I don't understand why you are annoyed by it? Should they not market the movie towards kids?
    evanbrau wrote: »
    We only got our review copy yesterday. Thankfull, I don't have a Kinect so it has fallen to another to take on that burden. I also hate that some writers are cutting it slack because "it's a kids game". Kids like quality too so we shouldn't accept slop like this being doled out to them to make some quick money. Kids are capable of doing far, far more complex things than most developers seem to give them credit for.

You make a valid point about sloppy games being pushed on kids but again, I think you are coming at this from an adult's point of view. What we see as a poorly designed game is sometimes from a kids point of view, something that guides them through the complexities of the game and makes it a bit easier to deal with. I'm not advocating dumbing games down, mind - kids are capable of understand quite complex stuff but sometimes, when it comes to games, they just want to switch off and blow stuff up. Not everything aimed at kids needs to be educational.

This game cost me €45. I would have preferred to have paid €20 for it in a few months but a promise is a promise and I got it today. It isn't the first time I paid for something expensive that I don't 'get' but my kids love and nor will it be the last. I will get my money's worth from this because the kids will play it to death. To be honest, I'm knackered right now because I spent 3 hours this evening playing this with my 5 year old son. He adored every second of it and went to bed with a beaming smile on his face because he got to be a Jedi for a few hours. And that is good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It might be something fun for kids, but do kids of this generations even interested in Starwars or even know wtf it is?
    In my opinion Starwars as franchise is only viable for older generation who love SW as nostalgia trip or just generally SW nerds. This game shoots in to some non existent space.

* I know there are kids who know what Starwars are, but let's be honest, not many of them out there.

Are you serious? That has to one of the most misinformed posts I've ever seen on boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_%282008_TV_series%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Star_Wars:_The_Video_Game

Two examples of many of a franchise still going strong, in both adult and otherwise categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Are you serious? That has to one of the most misinformed posts I've ever seen on boards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_The_Clone_Wars_%282008_TV_series%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Star_Wars:_The_Video_Game

Two examples of many of a franchise still going strong, in both adult and otherwise categories.

Well if it actually is popular enough with kids, then I stand corrected. I don't have my own yet, so I don't get reminded about it, just yet!

Still, is it really that popular? Haven't seem any of friends kids to go mad or even know what SW is.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Well if it actually is popular enough with kids, then I stand corrected. I don't have my own yet, so I don't get reminded about it, just yet!

Still, is it really that popular? Haven't seem any of friends kids to go mad or even know what SW is.

Goodness me no!

http://www.toys.ie/Search/Shop_Product_List.aspx?Profile=Euro&query=Star%20Wars

I sincerely hope that it's not all adults buying this stuff...

Actually, wait, no; I'd quite like this!

http://www.toys.ie/Remote-Control-Luke-Skywalker-Lightsaber-!111148-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=26f55665-fed9-4052-9dae-69c9b03732a7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

I'd rather watch the Star Wars Christmas Special or those two ****ty little ewoks films or watch The Phantom Menace than play that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think it looks kooky. I can imagine playing it when I'm twisted drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it looks kooky. I can imagine playing it when I'm twisted drunk.

MK and tekken for me when I am drunk... This will just make me want to punch TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    That trailer is clearly marked 'Kids Trailer', in fairness and I suspect that it aired in the states during Clone Wars ad breaks. It's not for you so I don't understand why you are annoyed by it? Should they not market the movie towards kids?
    No, I don't because The Phantom Menace is not a kids movie. The first Plinkett review actually does a great job of explaining why. If a movie truly has universal appeal, and many do, then they shouldn't need specific trailers to target specific demographics.

As a side note, I have no problem with the likes of the Clone Wars show, well at least the Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 mini-series which was absolutely brilliant. :)

No, I don't because The Phantom Menace is not a kids movie. The first Plinkett review actually does a great job of explaining why. If a movie truly has universal appeal, and many do, then they shouldn't need specific trailers to target specific demographics.

As a side note, I have no problem with the likes of the Clone Wars show, well at least the Genndy Tartakovsky's 2003 mini-series which was absolutely brilliant. :)

I think you are over analysing things. The real reason why there is a kid specific trailer is because The Phantom Menace has a PG rating so many parents won't bring their kids to see it. Lucasfilm wants to target these kids so that is why there is a trailer for them. It's not a conspiracy, it's not to insult SW nerds and it's not to destroy older Star Wars fans' memory of the first trilogy. It's only the marketing dept of Lucasfilm trying to get more bums on seats at the cinema.

With all that out of the way, why is The Phantom Menace not a kids movie? What makes it unsuitable for children? It has a PG rating, which to my mind means that if a parent thinks the kid won't be freaked out by what's in the movie then let them see it. I base my judgement of things on what I see in real life, not what I read about on the internet and what I see in real life are kids enjoying a movie that wasn't necessarily designed for them or for adults. It does have true universal appeal but it has a PG rating so there are some parents who won't allow their kids to see it.

I think you are over analysing things. The real reason why there is a kid specific trailer is because The Phantom Menace has a PG rating so many parents won't bring their kids to see it. Lucasfilm wants to target these kids so that is why there is a trailer for them. It's not a conspiracy, it's not to insult SW nerds and it's not to destroy older Star Wars fans' memory of the first trilogy. It's only the marketing dept of Lucasfilm trying to get more bums on seats at the cinema.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not a SW fan in the slightest and while I don't like the prequel movies, they in no way diminish my love for the originals. But as I said above, and as you said yourself in the bolded part, that's my issue with it. :)
    With all that out of the way, why is The Phantom Menace not a kids movie? What makes it unsuitable for children? It has a PG rating, which to my mind means that if a parent thinks the kid won't be freaked out by what's in the movie then let them see it. I base my judgement of things on what I see in real life, not what I read about on the internet and what I see in real life are kids enjoying a movie that wasn't necessarily designed for them or for adults. It does have true universal appeal but it has a PG rating so there are some parents who won't allow their kids to see it.
    I don't think it's unsuitable for kids, I just don't think it's a kids movie therefore it shouldn't need a trailer specifically aimed at them. As I said, watch the Plinkett review here and hilarity aside, pay attention to the bit where he talks about how it's not a kids movie. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a SW fan in the slightest and while I don't like the prequel movies, they in no way diminish my love for the originals. But as I said above, and as you said yourself in the bolded part, that's my issue with it. :)

:confused:

EnterNow wrote: »
    :confused:
    Love may have been a strong word. I really enjoyed the originals and have seen them maybe twice each in their entirety over the years. :)

As I said, watch the Plinkett review here and hilarity aside, pay attention to the bit where he talks about how it's not a kids movie. :)

With all due respect Gizmo, while I enjoyed our debate and I'm interested in your points, instead of watching those clips I'd rather spend the time playing Skyrim. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Anyone buying the limited edition Star Wars console that's bundled with this game and a white Kinect? Kinda pricey, but HMV have the console open and out on display at the front window, it looks AWESOME!
    star_wars_xbox_360_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Anyone shocked at another **** star wars game?

Other than Lego and Rogue Squadron they have been pretty poor.

X Wing gets a okish rating.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone shocked at another **** star wars game?

Other than Lego and Rogue Squadron they have been pretty poor.

X Wing gets a okish rating.
    X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
    X-Wing: Alliance
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy
    Force Unleashed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

X-Wing vs Tie Fighter
    X-Wing: Alliance
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy
    Force Unleashed

Tie Fighter
    Knights of the Old Republic.

Actually, does anyone know how the KOTOR2 restoration project turned out?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Outcast
    Jedi Academy
    Force Unleashed

Didnt think any of them were any use

KOTOR is brilliant forgot about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games

Anyone want to count the games on that list? :p We may have a possible 9 that people think are actually good.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Didnt think any of them were any use

KOTOR is brilliant forgot about that one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_video_games

Anyone want to count the games on that list? :p We may have a possible 9 that people think are actually good.
    I count at least 24 games which range from good to fantastic. I guess it'll depend on what age you are as to which ones you include. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Has it really been 13 years since X-Wing Alliance? Damn. They need to get on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Battlefront and Battlefront were pretty good, and Empire at War, whilst lacking, wasn't a bad game to play.

Also Lego:Star Wars was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

chrislad wrote: »
    Has it really been 13 years since X-Wing Alliance? Damn. They need to get on that.

The Lucasarts that produced all those quality games is long dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

TIE Fighter is the greatest thing to have been produced in the history of ever.

... so bad it's funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There are plenty of good star wars games but X-Wing Alliance is my favourite. Had a good story and you actually felt like you were a pilot for the rebels......with just flying missions. No stupid walking around section, no fetch quests, no NPC talk-a-thons......just flying. And it was superb.

Ofcourse it had its faults. Only one death animation for every craft was a biggie. Every fighter died the way that Tie fighter does when it hits the asteroid in Empire strikes back. Blue sparks...spins around a bit...then explode. That got old. And there wasn't enough space debris so the feeling of speed was lacking.

Still a brilliant game though. I'll have to replay it soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Meesared wrote: »
    For all the people complain about Star Wars Kinect and have not played it http://kotaku.com/5898749/hey-star-wars-grumps-youre-making-it-even-worse

I read that and I didnt buy the game.

I laughed my ass off at some of the videos. Boba Fett singing YMCA rocks me gently to sleep.

BUT

My uneasiness at this is hard to explain. It's not the rose tinted anger at my past. I have found a number of the new star wars ventures to be good, both clone wars series worked really well I felt. And I understand fully a franchise is just simply a means to make money.

But the dance game in this crossess a line not of fanboy rage but of necessity. As clearly presented in this thread already, the notion of a dancing star wars has well and truly already been plucked by parodies and sketches. So what is my response when it becomes *official* for the franchise to handle the parodying itself?

Well it firstly takes the bite out. Sort of neuters the comedy when the butt of the joke is delivering the jabbs. It works better when it's not official. So that kind of bugged me.

But star wars has been for a while officially ribbing itself, I mean thats what Lego Star wars does pretty much? Well yes, but that's on the same level as them officially endorsing the family guy star wars specials. It's giving permission to someone else to go to town on you with their brand of humour.

Again a bit of the bite is gone, it's clearly not the level of Bill Hicks equally destroying someone on stage while putting the audience in fits of laughter. But there is still that line of process. We want a funny star wars for kids/teenagers. Lets give it to lego/seth mcfarlane. There's a franchise bridge there, one based in humour and the other embracing it.

Now it's directly star wars doing a *funny* game. It's the franchise directly just making fun of itself. Why? When did it become funny just because it's star wars? It feels shameless, a grab for attention and money (reinforced more by how it's design is completely lifted from another game: Dance Central) and it sort of the last line of star wars being a brand. It sort of cements that really they dont need to make an effort anymore to explain why anything is happening now. I know star wars has been stuck on everything. But most of it (especially with games) has had a genuine effort to explain why you are playing star wars as an RTS or a zelda clone or a fps (and in the last one they did a really good job). I think the rare exceptions was the kart racing & twisted metal clones.

Its weird and doesnt make sense I guess, but I laugh my ass off at the videos but then feel very annoyed at myself for doing it. Like I had given the local alcoholic a drink.

Advertisement