Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog food alternative to Royal Cainin

• 02-04-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,

I have a lab/husky mix neutered bitch who is extremely active. THing is she is a fussy eater and does not have the eating habits of her lab side. She is more husky than lab, and could go a whole day on one cup of food and will spit out the nuts she doesn't like.

I've tried her on a few different foods now. She is 17 months old. It almost seems like once she is half way through the bag she is just sick of the same food.

Royal Cainin = shiny dog. she likes it, she eats it but its really expensive at €65 for the big bag, which lasts 1.5 months I think.

Whites - she had been eating this, but never really liked the chicken one and now is gone off the lamb one. I only got one cup into her in yesterday and that was because I added mince.
    Burns - didn't really like it. I put burns on one side of her bowl, Royal cainin on the other side, she ate the royal cainin and left the burns until she was completely starving.
    Olympian - loved it for about 2 weeks then got sick of it again seems to have lost a kg that month too.

Hills - didn't like it and lost the shine on her coat
    Red mills - never again... she sprayed the place golden...and lost her shine.

She doesn't get any other food, she is fed twice a day and isn't fed until a few hours after exercise or playing with other dogs. She is fit, and we exercise her a lot especially being part husky. She goes on a 3 mile run once or twice a week if its cool enough for her and spends half her day playing with other large dogs.

Anyone know of a brand I could try for around 40 - 50 euros for an active dog? Which could also be ordered online?

many thanks

Comments

Hi,

I have a lab/husky mix neutered bitch who is extremely active. THing is she is a fussy eater and does not have the eating habits of her lab side. She is more husky than lab, and could go a whole day on one cup of food and will spit out the nuts she doesn't like.

I've tried her on a few different foods now. She is 17 months old. It almost seems like once she is half way through the bag she is just sick of the same food.

Royal Cainin = shiny dog. she likes it, she eats it but its really expensive at €65 for the big bag, which lasts 1.5 months I think.

Whites - she had been eating this, but never really liked the chicken one and now is gone off the lamb one. I only got one cup into her in yesterday and that was because I added mince.
    Burns - didn't really like it. I put burns on one side of her bowl, Royal cainin on the other side, she ate the royal cainin and left the burns until she was completely starving.
    Olympian - loved it for about 2 weeks then got sick of it again seems to have lost a kg that month too.

She doesn't get any other food, she is fed twice a day and isn't fed until a few hours after exercise or playing with other dogs. She is fit, and we exercise her a lot especially being part husky. She goes on a 3 mile run once or twice a week if its cool enough for her and spends half her day playing with other large dogs.

Anyone know of a brand I could try for around 40 - 50 euros for an active dog? Which could also be ordered online?

many thanks

Sounds like she is happy with the Royal Canin and it is good for her. Its the only one I use. However you do need to shop around as every few months Maxi Zoo seem to have a special offer on it for under €50. I tend to get a few bags when its on special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You can also try Zooplus. Free delivery over E19 and they often have deals as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

sorry to barge in on your thread but ive always fed my dogs the same food as they were both my 1st dogs and i was told to feed them it but i give my 2 westies beta sensitive salmon/rice, its like 29.99 a 15kg bag at moment (special offer) so is this food the devils food in your opinion as you never mentioned it in your list? i feed mine once a day and mix a small spoon of tuna in with it and a small bit of water? they seem happy enough with it but i have to say i've seen other westies which in my opinion have nicer coats???? maybe this is why???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Fish is the natural diet of Huskies so if it were me I'd go with a fish based food and add whatever amount of salmon oil is needed to achieve the desired level of shine.
    i have to say i've seen other westies which in my opinion have nicer coats????

Off topic but generally I find that a lot of the Westies that fall under that description are not neutered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

would you consider Lukullus ? available from www.zooplus.ie

€42.99 for a 15kgs bag

Cold pressed: looks like rabbit food. havent loooked back. their stools are small and firm ,easy to pick up, they never get upset stomachs anymore, coats are shiny ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 luckboy

Hi,

many thanks
    I was on Creavens Premium website last week and seen this thing called petchup its for picky eaters!! Dont know anything about it or how good it is! you just put it over the food..has anyone tryed it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Flatazor, while not a well known brand is made by in the same factory as Royal Canin. €45 for 15kg, I'm feeding a rottie, gsd and jrt and it suits them all, it was the only one that did as I didn't want different types for each.
    I have my rottie pup on Flatazor pup and he's happier and shinier on that than he was on Clinivet.
    Flatazor has less bulking agents and for me that means tidier poos to clean up...gross I know, but with four, my garden gets bad if I don't keep on it.

The flatazor also made a difference to my GSDs behaviour, I had him on the Activ and changed it to the Adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

I order royal canin off of zooplus.ie. two of my dogs are on 'medium light 27'. Two bags together cost €101,to buy a bag in the petshop is €65.
    Had them on whites but they were not doing well on it,lost their shine & soft poos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 luckboy

tipseymcT wrote: »
    I order royal canin off of zooplus.ie. two of my dogs are on 'medium light 27'. Two bags together cost €101,to buy a bag in the petshop is €65.
    Had them on whites but they were not doing well on it,lost their shine & soft poos.
    No dog is the same,I have my 2 dogs on whites for about 2years how and are doing brill on it! When i am out walking i do be asked about the good shine on them & as poos very nice,not hard to pick up & no way as much.. Sorry it creavens now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 class1

luckboy wrote: »
    No dog is the same,I have my 2 dogs on whites for about 2years how and are doing brill on it! When i am out walking i do be asked about the good shine on them & as poos very nice,not hard to pick up & no way as much.. Sorry it creavens now..
    Luckboy How much do you pay for creavens premium? I pay €35 15kg bag! after you buy 3 bags for €41 you get the 15kg bag for €35!!
    And my 4 dogs love it! www.creavenspremium.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

We are giving our lab 'select gold' at present, it seems to be fairly good quality & within price range qouted & she is eating it. There is a choice of flavours also.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

We've changed from RC to Pet Connection own-brand Salmon & Potato - great stuff and not too dear. Was recommended by somebody here before, so I gave it a try.

http://www.petconnection.ie/acatalog/Pet_Connection_Salmon___Potato_Dog_Food_15kg.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

There was a discussion here a while back and someone said GAIN greyhound food was excellent and very cheap. I havent tried it (I stayed with the Royal Canin) but I was curious and looked at the ingredients in some of the varieties and it seems to be very good. The Gain Record Breaker has good ingredients and I dont know the exact price but as far as I can remember its half the price of royal canin anyway if not more.http://www.gainfeeds.com/greyhound/record-break

Just as a note - the people recommending this food didnt have greyhounds - they just used it as a normal dog food.

edit again!! - just realised they do pet food also! http://www.gainfeeds.com/pet/home

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtowheels

Hi everyone, thanks so much.for the suggestions. So sorry I haven't replied but my notifications must be off or something. I've the dog on beta and she is doing well and a bit shiny. Thanks for the fish base.suggestion too, I'll see about adding an oil to her food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have my female malamute puppy on royal canin 'giant puppy' (very apt, she's huge!) but although her coat is great and she's fit and healthy and enjoying the food, her poos are very very soft (occasionally verging on a cow pat) and can be hard to pick up.

i don't want to change for my own convenience, but if there's a good food for her that will keep her poos solid that would be great.

cost isn't too much of a concern, I just want her to have the best she can get and I'm worried that a soft stool is a sign that something isn't right in her diet (as with people).

sounds like the Lukullus might be a good one to try, especially with the salmon in it for her. anyone have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

Hi everyone, thanks so much.for the suggestions. So sorry I haven't replied but my notifications must be off or something. I've the dog on beta and she is doing well and a bit shiny. Thanks for the fish base.suggestion too, I'll see about adding an oil to her food.

Have a Husky as well myself and was feeding him Royal Canine for 25kg+ dogs and he did love it.

royal_canin_maxi.jpg

Everyone told me to keep with whatever he likes as they are fussy eaters, but went anyway and started him on Taste of the wild

This bag

Taste_of_the_Wild_Pacific_Stream_Canine_Formula_with_Smoked_Salmon.jpg

It's way better than Royal Canine, you can feel the smell of the salmon, no grains in it and his fur is amazing now.

It's the same price too at 60 euro for the large bag.

He put on 3kg in the space of 8 months and is in great shape, really strong dog now.

He didn't actually like it at first, well he ate his first bowl sharpish and as he does with every new food :D but after a few days he wasn't cleaning the bowl like the Royal Canine, took him over a month to get into it.

That's one thing about Royal Canine though, alot of people slate it for its price, quality etc but most dogs I know anyway love the stuff, must be a unique smell or something.

2isk01x.jpg

vibe666 wrote: »

sounds like the Lukullus might be a good one to try, especially with the salmon in it for her. anyone have any thoughts?

Give taste of the wild a try as well Vibe.

Comes highly recommended by Mal owners, that's how I found out about it.

Was walking Fado one day in the woods and spotted a beautiful huge grey Malamute, owner of the Mal thought my dog Fado above was a Mal as well, as he is a little tall for a Sibe ( don't think he is 100% myself ) at just over 26" tall and over 30kg.

He made the comment that Fado was a little fragile for a biggish dog and asked what I was feeding him, he told me his dog and all northern breeds should be on food that has high meat content and without grains, as their immune system is designed to take in meat.

I buy it from here.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild

I boil for him chicken thighs, drumsticks etc too once a week from Lidl ( 2.59 for 1kg pack) as a treat and rip off the meat for him and mix with his dry food.

P.S Could you post some pics of your Mal, love those dogs, really beautiful.

Would love to get a big brother or sister for Fado in the future, some of them are huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

RoverZT wrote: »
    Give taste of the wild a try as well Vibe.

Comes highly recommended by Mal owners, that's how I found out about it.

Was walking Fado one day in the woods and spotted a beautiful huge grey Malamute, owner of the Mal thought my dog Fado above was a Mal as well, as he is a little tall for a Sibe ( don't think he is 100% myself ) at just over 26" tall and over 30kg.

He made the comment that Fado was a little fragile for a biggish dog and asked what I was feeding him, he told me his dog and all northern breeds should be on food that has high meat content and without grains, as their immune system is designed to take in meat.

I buy it from here.

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild

I boil for him chicken thighs, drumsticks etc too once a week from Lidl ( 2.59 for 1kg pack) as a treat and rip off the meat for him and mix with his dry food.

No need to boil them. You should just feed them Raw as a whole, bones and all. Raw is great for them and if i could afford to feed my two rotties a raw diet they would be on it.

andreac wrote: »
    No need to boil them. You should just feed them Raw as a whole, bones and all. Raw is great for them and if i could afford to feed my two rotties a raw diet they would be on it.
    i don't have a clue what i'm on about here and i'm going to sound like a noob, but is that safe to feed them raw meat and bones?

when i give my cats raw chicken (usually the elbow gristle and some meat from preparing chicken thighs for ourselves) my wife worries about them, but i generally stick with the "well nobody cooks and fillets the birds and mice etc. that they kill and eat themselves", but i wouldn't be sure about the dog, and not least of all because i'll be the one scooping the poop! :D

here's misha, just a week or so after we got her, sitting with her own 'pet' dog scrappy. :)

misha.jpg

and here she is tonight relaxing and watching telly. :)

IMAG1489_zps3819ea9c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

vibe666 wrote: »
    i don't have a clue what i'm on about here and i'm going to sound like a noob, but is that safe to feed them raw meat and bones?

when i give my cats raw chicken (usually the elbow gristle and some meat from preparing chicken thighs for ourselves) my wife worries about them, but i generally stick with the "well nobody cooks and fillets the birds and mice etc. that they kill and eat themselves", but i wouldn't be sure about the dog, and not least of all because i'll be the one scooping the poop! :D

here's misha, just a week or so after we got her, sitting with her own 'pet' dog scrappy. :)

misha.jpg

and here she is tonight relaxing and watching telly. :)

IMAG1489_zps3819ea9c.jpg

Vibe, my fellow, GSD is nearly 7mts now, is on an full raw diet: bones, ground beef/lamb, off cuts, raw chicken bones included - he actually loves this as breakfast– some offal, and no worries at all. I have never seen a dog enjoy his food more. Originally he was on RC GSD puppy, but it didn't seem to suit him, he was licking a lot and had loose stools and pooed a LOT. Now, small hard poops twice a day and is thriving, great coat, super teeth– and weirdly–really clean breath (!) I would never cook the food as I've read it changes the texture and breaks the meat down; try your beautiful pup with raw, you'll be delighted with the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

You should ask your local butcher about off cuts, I did that a few weeks back and they mince down a 5/6k a week of meat for me and include a big bag of bones all for a 10 euros. I also buy packs of chicken legs from AlDi, 2:39 for 4 large legs. It works out quite okay over the week. I'm even feeding the cats with it, and after some initial 'WTF?' they're really into it. Sorry I didn't introduce it to the cats earlier. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

if i could afford to feed my two rotties a raw diet they would be on it.

If you loved them you would :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Quality wrote: »

What a ridiculous thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

What a ridiculous thing to say.

I know.... Only a Cnut would make smart comments like that.. Or say something like. And you say you love your pet....

i'd say some after hours type leg pulling might not be going down as well as you thought. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I use redwitch (get it from dogfood direct) and I'd recommend it. There's a salmon one available which my dog loved. That said, I've a lab so...

The only thing about raw food - how do you measure it? I mean I know our dog gets 270-290g of dry food, but what's the equivalent in raw food?

here she is again, just before she gave her unlikely kennel mate a lick. :D

even more strange, the cat isn't actually ours, it's a stray that decided to make it's home in our back garden before we'd gotten the dog.

the dog mostly sleeps outside, but i have caught the two of them in there huddled together. ;)

we have two cats of our own as well and they all get on fine, aside from the cats sometimes giving out to her if she moves towards them too quickly, but the cats definitely rule the roost. :)

IMAG1467_zps645f67df.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I know.... Only a Cnut would make smart comments like that.. Or say something like. And you say you love your pet....

Mod note:
    Quality, you have already recently been involved in a thread which was closed as a result of the way the posters, you included, were addressing one another.
    The manner in which you are posting here, and the use of foul language, is not acceptable. One more incident involving you being rude, uncivil, foulmouthed or otherwise attempting to throw thread off-topic, and infractions will be issued.
    If you have an issue with any posts made on this forum, report the post, do not address the post on-thread, as per the forum charter.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement

She's beautiful Vibe and big :D

How old is she now?

Advertisement