Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to do with this nightmare neighbour?

• 02-04-2012 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hey everyone.

Sorry its a long one but Im desperate, please help :(

Ok I've had it, cant take any more. Something has to be done about my neighbour. I live in a rural area and theres a line of houses each side of the road kind of like a micro sized village. I only have a neighbour on 1 side as I am a house at the end of the row. All the houses are detached bungalows and we all have our own garden, hedges etc. The guy beside me is nothing less than a nightmare. None of the neighbours talk to him as they all feel the same. We cant go out into the garden without him watching us through the hedge, we cant have conversations outside because he listens in. We can tell he's there because of the waft of his cigarette smoke. He is in his late 50's and lives with his wife and 2 daughters (21 and 17). He is noisey throughout the day, sometimes cuts his grass at 10.30pm during the summer. If I am out cutting my hedge or grass he will start up his chainsaw and rev it at high speed for a good 5 minutes after Ive shut mine off. We know he isnt using it to do garden work because one of the other neighbours walked past his garden while this was happening and he was just standing the far side of the hedge from me revving the saw.... :confused:
    Nobody has EVER cause him any harm or done anything to him so we cant understand why he acts this way. He really does too many things to name, Has 3 cars (junk heaps) no tax or insurance on any. Has dogs locked up in crates that bark and whine :( BUT THE 1 THING THAT P***ES ME OFF MORE THAN ANNNYYYYYYTHINGGGGGGG :mad:...... He has NEVER ever ever owned a wheelie bin... He illegally BURNS all his household waste.. The smell is absolutely RANK :mad::mad::mad: It smells like a cross between burning hair and chicken bones. My workshop is right beside where he burns the rubbish and its constantly filled with toxic smoke as his fires dont actually burn...they smoulder. Every single day he does this. I cant hang washing on the line, open windows or work in my workshop because of this. The wind always seems to be blowing right into my garden when he lights these fires and I cant take it any more....seriously Ive had enough. Im not spending another summer not being able to work in the garden because of this. Remember that nice week we just had??? Yeah guess who had to spend it inside or away at my partners parents house down the country !!!!

As he is a neighbour we cant confront him without causing incredible awkwardness....in fact he is the type of person to do it more as he knows we are pissed off. He has also stolen things from our gardens but unfortunately that was some time ago and we have no solid proof but he was seen in my garden. What can we do ? Is it acceptable if we write a letter to him ? If so how would it be worded? I would rather get the Gardai involved to be honest. I have tried ringing and reporting it to the Garda confidential line numerous times but not a thing was done. Even when he was letting off fireworks at 1am in DECEMBER I rang and the Gard could hear the banging down the phone....Nothing was done :confused:
    Please help somebody, Im so close to doing something that will get me locked up ! !

Thank you for taking the time to read my long rant. You may not believe it but I have 2x A4 pages with things he has done over the past 2 years.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Not much the Gardaí can do for you. My advice would be;

Get some cctv for your home
    Keep a record of everything that happens written, photographic or video.
    Get a thicker hedge
    Make a complaint to the dog warden
    Make a complaint to the council
    Make a complaint to the litter warden
    Take him to court for noise pollution

Also, if you think he is listening to you talk about something completely insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

MagicSean wrote: »
    Not much the Gardaí can do for you. My advice would be;

Get some cctv for your home
    Keep a record of everything that happens written, photographic or video.
    Get a thicker hedge
    Make a complaint to the dog warden
    Make a complaint to the council
    Make a complaint to the litter warden
    Take him to court for noise pollution

Also, if you think he is listening to you talk about something completely insane.

I have video footage on my phone of the smoke from the fire clogging my workshop and garden with smoke. Would we just make a complaint to the County Council ? Thicker hedge isnt an option as the B*astard keeps cutting mine when Im not home in order to stop it outgrowing his :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I have video footage on my phone of the smoke from the fire clogging my workshop and garden with smoke. Would we just make a complaint to the County Council ? Thicker hedge isnt an option as the B*astard keeps cutting mine when Im not home in order to stop it outgrowing his :mad:

Could you not report him to the gardaí. Sounds like a horrible situation.

poisonated wrote: »

Tried reporting him to the Garda confidential line numerous times- nothing. When another neighbour rang the Garda station direct they asked for his name and said he would have to go official and make a complaint. We dont know if thats the best option to go and let him know who is reporting him as we all have to live next to him :( It would be so perfect for the Guards to just
    "arrive" at his house and do him for everything.....but they simply arent interested because no one will give their name when calling them.

poisonated wrote: »

Nothing to do with the Gardaí. At most you might be able to get an asbo for him but he'd know who was complaining then. Litter polution and noise pollution is dealt with by the council. They also have control over issue relating to animals. You could also contact the ISPCA.

• Advertisement

So is it my County Council I report the matter to :confused:? Or is there a specific separate pollution organisation ? The amount of rats that this mess of his household waste burning is attracting is phenomenal.

So is it my County Council I report the matter to :confused:? Or is there a specific separate pollution organisation ? The amount of rats that this mess of his household waste burning is attracting is phenomenal.

Litter warden deals with litter. Dog warden deals with dogs. You could just complain direct to the environment section.

would I be correct in saying these are the guys to contact in relation to the situation ?

http://www.epa.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

You need to grow a pair and confront him

Are you out of your mind taking this sh1t and just accepting it because shur t'would be awkward

Only in....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

D1stant wrote: »

Are you out of your mind taking this sh1t and just accepting it because shur t'would be awkward

Only in....

This neighbour from hell would love a confrontation, that what these people are about.

They want to get a reaction and then they come back even worse.

• Advertisement

Only in....

Grow a pair?? Really :rolleyes: ?? I have to live beside the guy. If I confront him things will be 10x worse and I will end up doing something ill regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Grow a pair?? Really :rolleyes: ?? I have to live beside the guy. If I confront him things will be 10x worse and I will end up doing something ill regret.

Then I guess the joke is on you. He has and always will have the upper hand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

What are you suggesting?

He gives his neighbour a good hiding?

He just sounds like a miserable culchie who likes making his neighbours lives unpleasant. They're bullies - bullies always pick on people in ways, they know their targets can't fight back against. A bully at work will pick on you, knowing you can't get up and give them a beating.

You can't win with these people. They always find a way to be a nuisance. It gives their lives meaning.

And the funny thing is, the gaurds can get stuck in the middle in this. Often these guys will be calling the guards to complain about noise, etc They're hilarious - they really muddy the water.

I had a friend in a very similar situation. Neighbour from hell - he was breeding dogs - keeping them in terrible conditions - and not disposing of the waste sanitarily. The air was permanently filled with a stink that would make you gag. And he probably went further - my friend who had two dogs, mysteriously die of poisoning. Any neighbours who complained to him, he threaten to box their heads in or shoot them. Even occasionally walking around his front garden with his rifle, to show his neighbours he did have a gun.

These people are really difficult to deal with.

What would you suggest? A gunfight at high noon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

It's my experience that the local CoCo does act on burning of waste.
    A pal of mine was fined 'a lot' for burning normal coal in a smokeless area.

You are gonna have to have a talk with him though. No need to be nasty, just be factual, start with one problem like smoke or dog crap or whatever and work on that.

If the guy gets agressive with you I suggest you start talking with the local Gardai and somehow establish if the guy has a gun. Perhaps he has social problems (google Sociopath) and he may be the type who is not suitable for a gun licence.

Either way, unfortunately it sounds like a lose-lose situation. Hope you get some form of a resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Solicitor and nuisance action perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Coupon King

Hi

You could maybe get rid of the hedge and build a wall, theres no harm in securing your property from thieves etc as you said that he has already stolen from your property but have no proof as such.

CCTV and a nice big scary dog might also do the trick :)

Also I would continuously report him to the council for the burning of rubbish as i'm sure that it could be considered a health hazard.

I had a similar problem with a neighbor burning garden rubbish etc each week and it was always down wind of our house and we also could not open windows etc on hot days.

We said enough was enough and I took the dog for a walk, and passed his house and asked him did he understand or consider that the fumes from his "mini bonfire" were filling up our back bedroom and kitchen and that we could not sit in the garden or leave our windows or doors open?

He couldn't apologize enough and said he didn't realize, and it hasn't happened since.

I know that you say that you feel like you cannot approach him etc but you may have to just to break the ice and let him see how much distress this has caused you.

It might just work?

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Hi,

Just a few points on this which I think will lead to a fairly clear conclusion as to what to do. I am assuming that talking to the person won't assist. If it does, all the better. However, assuming he will not act "normally" then I think the following emerges:-

1. You clearly want to do something.

2. Public authorities in the form of the council and the Gardai will not help you. With the local authority, you'll drive yourself mad ringing them every day or two and getting worse when they don't turn up. The Gardai (and I do not mean to diminish your suffering at all by this) have better things to do and with cuts after cuts after cuts, they simply won't deal with the matter. So, disregard these.

3. To accomplish your goals, you need to take private action. You need to consult a solicitor and go about it this way whereby you have control over the matter. This is the only way you might get resolution.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys I really appreciate it. It really looks like Im just going to have to bit the bullet and approach him myself :(

Ive never had any faith in the Gardai so I didnt really expect them to do anything but I thought at least the Council would make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

Ever wondered if this guy feels that hes the victim of everyone elses bullying?
    You did say everyone else doesnt speak to him either, maybe you have been swept along with the torch carrying lynch mob.

Why dont you go around with a few beers and ask him how he feels about the other neighbours, he may tell you how he feels if he thinks you are on his side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

go to the guards in a group and give all ye`re names...if ye show a united front then there's nothing this thug can do..next time he lights a fire ring the fire brigade....call animal welfare about his dogs, its time to let him no ye wont take anymore ****....if ye draw the attention of the authorities on him then maybe his own family will turn on him and get him to see sense...if its only a small village then the rumors of him being such a pest will spread around causing embarrassment to his family especially his young daughters...

• Advertisement

Ever wondered if this guy feels that hes the victim of everyone elses bullying?
    You did say everyone else doesnt speak to him either, maybe you have been swept along with the torch carrying lynch mob.

Why dont you go around with a few beers and ask him how he feels about the other neighbours, he may tell you how he feels if he thinks you are on his side.

Well I certainly know he would play the victim. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that the smoke is blowing constantly in on top of my property. As for the approaching him with a few beers for a chat thing? Not a chance. He's border line alcoholic. Bet the **** out of his son because he came out and told him he was gay. Used to regularly beat his wife. We called the guards numerous times when hearing screams :( everything about him is no good. I remember we used to hear his daughters screaming and crying when we would be out doing the gardening. We often called the guards but we only have a part time station about 30 mins away and the rarely ever came. I remember seeing him beat a dog he had around the garden with a shovel just because it left the garden and went onto the road.
    God forgive me but I wish the man would just die.

Sounds like the guy may have some mental health issues.

I wonder what he would write if he came on here
    'Hello guys, I just need some advice as to how to deal with my neighbours, they have had a vendetta against me for over 2 years, I have seen my next door neighbour writing a list of things he alledges I have been doing, he says my son is gay and I beat my wife.
    I burn my waste as I dont want to contribute to landfill sites cluttering up the environment, I rescue dogs that otherwise would be put to sleep and at the moment the constant harrassment is driving me to drink.

any help would be great guys'

I'm pretty sure I already mentioned it's not a Garda matter. What do you expect them to do? It doesn't matter how many of you go down. Gardaí do not prosecute people for burning rubbish. That falls to your local council. Gardaí do not prosecute people for making noise. That is for you to bring them to court over. The dog warden will investigate claims of animal neglect. It's like talking to a brick wall here. if you act on those three things as a group you will get results.

Really?
    Do you think he has ever wished death on you?
    And hes the bad guy???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

its never a nice situation when one neighbour is clearly the irk of so many... but as said above i think the best bet is make reports to the environmental section of your local coco, and next time he starts burning rubbish call the fire brigade, i know they have better things to do, but when they arrive and find a fire he will get a nice call out charge and if you keep calling them out every time he starts a fire he all get the message soon enough...and i think but maybe i am wrong that the fire brigade are also supposed to report to the environmental section if they find burning rubbish...

but as others have said keep a log book of everything anti-social he does so burning rubbish, how long was the fire burning/giving off smoke, and anything else including the duration of the nuisance... and start sending a copy of these things to the environmental officer of the coco, they can only ignore them for so long and when they start getting long lists every week they will pay attention at some point..

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭barman linen

Well I certainly know he would play the victim. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise that the smoke is blowing constantly in on top of my property. As for the approaching him with a few beers for a chat thing? Not a chance. He's border line alcoholic. Bet the **** out of his son because he came out and told him he was gay. Used to regularly beat his wife. We called the guards numerous times when hearing screams :( everything about him is no good. I remember we used to hear his daughters screaming and crying when we would be out doing the gardening. We often called the guards but we only have a part time station about 30 mins away and the rarely ever came. I remember seeing him beat a dog he had around the garden with a shovel just because it left the garden and went onto the road.

Isn't this how the Roscommon Incest case was allowed to go on for years....or the girl beaten in Leitrim ( or somewhere ) that died as soon as she got off the plane in the UK in the 80s ( vague memories )

Do we just ignore these things still....? Call the HSE. They are scared of a repeat of the above case so will attend....if they dont then you have done your bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And hes the bad guy???
    The guy beats his dog, wife and son, burns his rubbish in a residential area, steals from his neighbours, damages their garden, intimidates them.

So yes, the neighbour is the bad guy.

The guy beats his dog, wife and son, burns his rubbish in a residential area, steals from his neighbours, damages their garden, intimidates them.

So yes, the neighbour is the bad guy.

..says the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Maybe hes the victim of stuck up hoity toity neighbours?
    Who knows?

Police dont seem too concerned, maybe its the constant phone calls from moaning minnies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

..says the Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Maybe hes the victim of stuck up hoity toity neighbours?
    Who knows?

Police dont seem too concerned, maybe its the constant phone calls from moaning minnies.

ARE YOU THE NEIGHBOUR?!

• Advertisement

ARE YOU THE NEIGHBOUR?!

I dont ...hic....know what you mean,...hang on a minute I just have to wake up my son and his boyfriend, they promised to take the dogs out and get me some petrol for my chainsaw, my neighbours grass is looking a little long and I dont want to be unprepared.
    Im just about to do a couple of rounds on the bag, then shes going to make our breakfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Thanks for all the help and advice guys I really appreciate it. It really looks like Im just going to have to bit the bullet and approach him myself :(

Ive never had any faith in the Gardai so I didnt really expect them to do anything but I thought at least the Council would make an effort.

From your own statements you haven't even informed them yet so how could they do anything. Ring the waste section and keep on ringing them until they come out, mention it to your local councillor also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭firedancer

Really?
    And hes the bad guy???
    and here arrives the righteous right on cue...give me a break - op I completely sympathise with you on this, it can't be fully comprehended unless you've been in such a situation, it wears you down, there's only one option with a sicko like this next door - move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Really?
    And hes the bad guy???

I'm sure the smouldering plastic fumes help to inch one and all towards an earlier grave.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Joke's over Jargon - quit trolling please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The only way to get the dangerous uninsured cars dealt with is with an official letter to the Super who is in charge of the Traffic Corps in your area. But you gotta tell them when he will be driving around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

my first course of action would be, strike up a conversation with this person to see for yourself what he really is like, be friendly, after a while of knowing the guy you may be able to discuss this burning,
    remember this saying.
    better to keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer, give this person the benefit of the doubt, and you may find out that he is bored and lonely,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭Socialist_Pig

'Hello guys, I just need some advice as to how to deal with my neighbours, they have had a vendetta against me for over 2 years, I have seen my next door neighbour writing a list of things he alledges I have been doing, he says my son is gay and I beat my wife.
    I burn my waste as I dont want to contribute to landfill sites cluttering up the environment, I rescue dogs that otherwise would be put to sleep and at the moment the constant harrassment is driving me to drink.

any help would be great guys'
    is that you nightmare neighbour?have the dogs ran away and your wife has locked herself in the bathroom and that ****** you have for a son has moved somewhere his sexuality isnt an issue:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

The only thing I see this guy doing wrong is a bit of burning rubbish. I doubt it happens that often, and unless you are in the path of the prevailing wind, the smell should only effect you occasionally.

Sounds like a bit of cabin fever has set in with the close proximity you have to your neighbour. He sounds like a decent guy, maybe a Homer Simpson type character living next to Ned Flanders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

would I be correct in saying these are the guys to contact in relation to the situation ?

http://www.epa.ie/

Definitely, burning organic waste is a serious offense as it creates dioxin compounds which are terrible for the environment and your health (they stay in your system for 7 years). If the smoke's drafting into your workshop he's putting your health at serious risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Don't rely on the guards, get all your neighbours together for a good 'ol spec ops like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCNqKrX1sx8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Your a hunter u have guns don't u I'd sit around with them one day try antagonise him or scare him slightly might cop on or
    Knock on his door tell him to cop the ***k on and if he starts on ya well give him few slaps
    Or get all your neighbours to come with ya and annoy him see how he likes it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭minotour

If you dont want to confront him directly then do it indirectly. Nothing like a zany scheme to shake things up a bit.

Find another like-minded neighbour, prefereably a big fella, arrange a fake argument out in full view, exert your dominance over the big fella through a prearranged plan.
    Have him run away whimpereing, as you return to your house let a roar at probelem neighbour along this lines of "Your next if you dont stop <insert issue>"

...convuluted i agree but then desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭Frank11

Before you go to any official office you should be seen to have tried to resolve these issues yourself. How are the daughters and wife, can you communicate with them? Maybe you could approach one of them and tell them your side and ask their advice about confronting him.
    Confront him you must. Get a neighbour with you when you do. If he fails to listen of take on your complaint then, as a group, write him a letter stating that if x,y,z continue then you will be reporting him to the garda, local council, animal welfare. Try to relate the issues to law and send it by registered post so you have a date record. Give him time to resolve the issues and then, as a community, take action. Seeking the help of a local councillor is a good idea to put pressure on the local authority and garda.
    The main thing is to no go it alone and get the community involved and firstly try to resolve this by approaching him.

Hey everyone,

For those who may be interested or may be in a similar situation to myself heres an update. I finally got through to the county council litter office and made a complaint. The very kind lady took all the details etc and told me the litter warden would be in touch shortly. A few days past and I gave up hope, I just thought sure they wont call they have enough to be dealing with fly tipping and such. Then I got a phone call last tuesday (a week after I contacted them). It was the litter warden. He was asking me for directions and what exactly had been happening with this troublesome neighbour. I gave him everything he needed to know and was absolutely delighted. I sent a group text around to all my neighbours and told them to come out and watch. Everyone came out to find the litter warden delivering an official warning to the troublesome neighbour and happy days we have been living in a smoke free area ever since :D I can go out into my garden without breathing in toxic fumes ! We are all delighted , thanks everyone for the advice !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just a suggestion - but now might be the time to start making some, small, overtures of peace. Maybe the odd hello when you're all out in the gardens togeather. He might be a a complete arse but having the entire neighbourhood gang up on you isn't nice for anyone. Even if the course of action is deserved be the bigger man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Hey everyone,

For those who may be interested or may be in a similar situation to myself heres an update. I finally got through to the county council litter office and made a complaint. The very kind lady took all the details etc and told me the litter warden would be in touch shortly. A few days past and I gave up hope, I just thought sure they wont call they have enough to be dealing with fly tipping and such. Then I got a phone call last tuesday (a week after I contacted them). It was the litter warden. He was asking me for directions and what exactly had been happening with this troublesome neighbour. I gave him everything he needed to know and was absolutely delighted. I sent a group text around to all my neighbours and told them to come out and watch. Everyone came out to find the litter warden delivering an official warning to the troublesome neighbour and happy days we have been living in a smoke free area ever since :D I can go out into my garden without breathing in toxic fumes ! We are all delighted , thanks everyone for the advice !!!

Thanks for the follow up post and good luck.

I sent a group text around to all my neighbours and told them to come out and watch. Everyone came out to find the litter warden delivering an official warning to the troublesome neighbour

This was a mistake and a little childish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭battle_hardend

if the OP were to ( grow a pair :rolleyes: ) confront this charming man , the guards would be on the OP,s ass as theese kind of troublemakers are always experts at using the law for thier own ends

i sympathise with you OP , the local authority at best is a toothless tiger when it comes to problems like this

Just a suggestion - but now might be the time to start making some, small, overtures of peace. Maybe the odd hello when you're all out in the gardens togeather. He might be a a complete arse but having the entire neighbourhood gang up on you isn't nice for anyone. Even if the course of action is deserved be the bigger man.

this bad neighbour alienated everyone around him , he created the animosity and problems with his neighbours , he is the one who has to atone and put things right , the onus is all on him

MagicSean wrote: »
    This was a mistake and a little childish too.

in what way was that a mistake ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement