Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bored/disenchanted with Teaching

• 02-04-2012 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I have been teaching 18 years. It was difficult for me to get a job initially . I screwed up as well but its too complex a story to outline here. Anyway, it took me longer to get a permanent job than most but now Im disillusioned by teaching for a number of factors:

1. The Money is limited. I do grinds and a few other things but they only generate so much and my promotion prospects are now null and void due to embargo.
    2. The Educational establishment are tuned out to the serious problems teachers encounter day in day out with Discipline issues. They provide no support bar anodyne NEWB guidelines and highly limited access to NBSS( National behaviour support service)
    3. Its just monotonous. I spend my time simplifying material to the point where its a joke
    4. The constant barrage of criticism in the media against teachers and the failure of the same media to hold parents to account for poor parenting ie sending kids into school without homework or basic manners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

I have been teaching 18 years. It was difficult for me to get a job initially . I screwed up as well but its too complex a story to outline here. Anyway, it took me longer to get a permanent job than most but now Im disillusioned by teaching for a number of factors:

1. The Money is limited. I do grinds and a few other things but they only generate so much and my promotion prospects are now null and void due to embargo.
    2. The Educational establishment are tuned out to the serious problems teachers encounter day in day out with Discipline issues. They provide no support bar anodyne NEWB guidelines and highly limited access to NBSS( National behaviour support service)
    3. Its just monotonous. I spend my time simplifying material to the point where its a joke
    4. The constant barrage of criticism in the media against teachers and the failure of the same media to hold parents to account for poor parenting ie sending kids into school without homework or basic manners.

I was in a similar situation some years ago. Bored out of my skull. I took a career break for a few years and I re-entered teaching with new eyes. I love it now. A colleague said the same thing.

The media critisism is the usual bull spouted by the usual artists who know nothing of what it's like to teach. Many commentators (online as well as in the traditional media) seem to think that by simply attending school they know what's it's like to be a schoolteacher, it's akin to a patient pontificating about medicine. Infuriating if you let it get to you. Ignore the threads and newspapers that indulge in teacher bashing. No other profession apart from politicians have such a sustained level of attack thrown at them.

Being able to simplify material is a unique skill and many of the brightest and best can't do it. It means you're a good teacher.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 458

Any idea what you're going to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Dont know what I will do. Im kinda of lazy and expecting a child soon so not a great time to change. But when is? Must keep an open positive mind. I might try to get some resource hours. Front line teaching in a working class school drains the life out of you. Junior Thugs-would sometimes make you long for corporal punishment . I wonder how the UK deals with discipline issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

What are your subjects? Anything else you're qualified to do? It's soul-destroying teaching somewhere where every single class has discipline issues. Maybe a change of school is what you need? Mind you it might look dodgy on your CV unless you're actually moving county. Never mind the teacher-bashing. People just like to make themselves feel better. Ignore it! I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job. And very few can do our job!

And after 18 years, I think you're school owes you some resource hours! Use the baby as an excuse if you have to! And get your request in now!

• Advertisement

*your :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you mention lack of promotional prospects and you want to sort out some discipline etc so why not try for dp somewhere? Its a great change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I've only been teaching four years but my first two were in a situation like yours, teaching Junior Thugs for every class on my timetable. I got to a point where I considered quitting. I moved to a different school and things couldn't be more different now. Don't underestimate the benefits of a change of scenery. I say look for a different school.

Advertisement