Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Learner on restricted bike & IBT

• 02-04-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All,

Himself has decided he wants to get back into bikes and its been years since he has had a licence so has to start at the bottom again.
    We have a few questions if anyone can help us we would be really grateful.
    Basic info that you may need he will be applying for A learner permit & he's 29.
    1. Is the process as follows? sit the theory test (pass it of course), then apply for the learner permit & before he can ride a bike he needs to complete the IBT? Is he then free to go on his merry way (obviously still within any requirements he has to meet)?
    2. He really wants a Suzuki Bandit 600 98 - 00 year. What we need to know is can he ride a restricted one or is that off limits on a learner permit(he wants to stay within the law no saying its restricted when its not & that malark)?
    3. If he can ride a restricted one does it have to legally be a factory job or can it be done afterwards?
    4. If he can't ride a restricted Bandit is a Honda NSR 125 a good bike to be starting off with?

The other questions we have is regarding the price of the IBT. We are based in North County Dublin but he wouldn't mind travelling an hour of two. Can anyone recommend a place with decent prices? The best price so far we have got is €410 but as with everyone we want the best deal out there :-)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

1. Is the process as follows? sit the theory test (pass it of course), then apply for the learner permit & before he can ride a bike he needs to complete the IBT? Is he then free to go on his merry way (obviously still within any requirements he has to meet)?

this is correct, he is free to ride what ever bike he want as long as its restricted as per his permit..

2. He really wants a Suzuki Bandit 600 98 - 00 year. What we need to know is can he ride a restricted one or is that off limits on a learner permit(he wants to stay within the law no saying its restricted when its not & that malarky)?

as above as long as its restricted properly he won't have a problem, and the bandit is a great bike to start off.

3. If he can ride a restricted one does it have to legally be a factory job or can it be done afterwards?

both are perfectly legal methods, insurance is slightly different but the problems of the last few years seem to be gone now, so it should not matter at all.. the one difference i can think of is if he is the one that gets the bike restricted then after the restriction period is finished he can take it off and now he has a nice bike, if its factory restricted its a little harder to take it off..

4. If he can't ride a restricted Bandit is a Honda NSR 125 a good bike to be starting off with?
    a 125 is not an ideal bike if he intends to get a A licence as he will not be able to do his full bike licence on it. and i think he will get bored of it quickly..

The other questions we have is regarding the price of the IBT. We are based in North County Dublin but he wouldn't mind travelling an hour of two. Can anyone recommend a place with decent prices? The best price so far we have got is €410 but as with everyone we want the best deal out there :-)

thats not a bad price but if he has a look around and if he is not in any rush then he can wait for a partner to come up and do it together... but to be honest 410 is a decent price and i am not too sure if you will beat it by much..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Is that price for 1:1 IBT training or 2:1 IBT training ?
    If its for 2:1, its not a good price.

98-00 Bandits do not come factory restricted, so it would be aftermarket restriction.
    Insurance costs are differnt for factory and aftermarket restrictions.
    Factoryones would be in a lower ins grouping so would be cheaper on cost of ins.
    Aftermarket restricted bikes are in the same grouping as full power models.
    Check with insurance company regarding the cost of a few different bikes before you buy any bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JOSEPHD95

Hi there Meshel.....where did you get the quote of €410? That seems very competitive....

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Meshel

JOSEPHD95 wrote: »
    Hi there Meshel.....where did you get the quote of €410? That seems very competitive....

It was from a guy based in North county Dublin. It was a 1:1 deal and it would be done over two days 8 hours each day. I have since got a quote of €325 2:1 from a guy on here and think we will go with that as it seems to be the cheapest out there from all the enquirers i've made.

• Advertisement

325 is good, but the 1:1 is preferable but for 100 notes its worth taking the deal, would you not consider it yourself, make 2 days of fun out of it...

eurofoxy wrote: »
    325 is good, but the 1:1 is preferable but for 100 notes its worth taking the deal, would you not consider it yourself, make 2 days of fun out of it...

Funny you should Say that I only decided last night to go for it so I've booked my theory test as well so hopefully pass it & then we can get the IBT reduced when doing it together. Another questions I have is... I've never ridden any bike before so is the IBT aimed at people like me or could I take a lesson first before I go an do the IBT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Meshel wrote: »
    I've never ridden any bike before so is the IBT aimed at people like me or could I take a lesson first before I go an do the IBT?

Its aimed at people like you. Starts off in a car park for the first day.

Its aimed at people like you. Starts off in a car park for the first day.

Great, delighted to hear that :D

i will put it this way, its a great way to find out if biking is for you, as it gives you a taste of what its like, but nothing will compare to riding on your own the first time...
    try to read up a bit on biking in general etc it will give you a bit of background knowledge before the bit, its not essential as everything will be covered, but it will help..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

I've got my IBT for 300 notes including a free insurance assessment. Don't know if I'm allowed to post his details here, but if you need the info, PM me.

Advertisement