Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you feed your Samoyed?

• 02-04-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

I have a 9 month old Samoyed bitch, who is just brutal to eat. When I got her at 2 months, she started to lose interest in her food, eventhough I continued giving her the same nuts as always. Then I put her on BETA puppy food, (under recommendation from vet), but it was feckin €40 a bag. She used eat it but could take it or leave it at the same time. Since then I've tried her with loads of different brands but no joy. She might not eat in morning, evening, or following morning again sometimes. More often than not she might nibble for 2 minutes and then walk away. I started mixing broken up pieces of ham into the nuts over the weekend, and she ate it the first 2 times, but then this morning, she only ate less than half it again.

She is fine and strong and healthy, nut underweight or anything. Maybe once a day is enough to feed a Samoyed? Can anyone please advise, as I don't want her getting sick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

I had similar issues with one of my fellas as well. It was discussed here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76278485
    He's thriving now, but it took a bit of work but it was worth it.
    He even had his bowl held for him for 6 weeks to encourage him.
    They're fussy out and they require variety (within reason) to keep them interested in food.ie raw one day, dry food with tuna the next, scrambled egg and tinned salmon, dry food (purina pro plan)combined with a wet food (I use butchers, Tesco stock it). They also eat left over spagetti/pasta and it seems to help. I don't vary the feeds within a day ie I feed raw all day, or dry with tuna all day etc. They get alot more meaty bones from the butchers as well, to break it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭slookie

Thanks Mick, read your thread...very interesting. By raw diet, do you mean mince straight from the butchers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

slookie wrote: »
    By raw diet, do you mean mince straight from the butchers?

70-75% raw meat on the bone, 5-10% offal (hearts/liver/tripe etc) 20% pureed veg. You can feed it as mince if you want but you still need the bones. It has to be nutritionally balanced or you will end up with other problems.

http://www.mountaindogfood.com/RawHelp/Articles/schuller.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I feed my Sam royal canin medium adult , he has a really sensitivity digestive system and I have tried him on less expensive food but only to be left with mess and an upset pup, even with a slow gradual change over in food he wouldn't take to it properly. I now put extras like chicken and ham with his food for a bit of taste otherwise food could be sat there all day nd he might eat it the following day :(

I'd love to try Him on raw stuff but he has the funniest tum I'd be terrified he get the bad tum he got before:(

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Mick there some really good ideas for food plan, I've tried the tuna/salmon as a
    Treat sometimes, makes em a bit gassy though!! Lol!!! I must give
    Some of your other ideas a go! It's hard to know what will agree with them! Even though they would eat any type of human food in a second compared to their own! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mickmcl09

Fairly much like adrenalinejunkie says, if you intend going all out Raw, which suits most Samoyeds very well. I do about 50-70% raw including meaty bones, my butcher is fairly generous and leaves a bit of meat on them.
    They're not that keen on the pureed veg, so I make that up with various combinations with dry food, be it a bit of wet food, tuna, a whisked egg occasionally, scrambled egg etc.

They're favourite raw food is chicken legs and fish heads. Not as keen on mince, my butcher gives me cuts that he would otherwise mince and they rather it that way.

They also get left over pasta/spagetti occasionally maybe once a fortnight.
    Fussy dogs, but it is possible to vary the diet enough to keep them interested without upsetting the tummy.

Advertisement